Star Wars Commander Discord Chat

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
Saponza
Storm Trooper

Star Wars Commander Discord Chat

Post#1 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Star Wars Commander Discord

So i have always had this dream to create a discord where all commanders can meet up and chat

So i have created a server
https://discord.gg/KH46qE

Ps i hope i dont get in trouble for links. Hehe
Please join me in creating a place that many people can meet and talk
Last edited by DeathStriker on Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Topic Title To Better Reflect Topic - Added Original Title to Main Topic Post

DeathStriker

Re: Star Wars Commander Discord Chat

Post#2 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:23 pm

Saponza wrote:Star Wars Commander Discord

Saponza - The SWC Community use several external Chat Apps to communicate like LINE and Discord.

This Topic will be useful for those Commanders out there with a Discord Account to be able to connect.

It is OK to post links but I will be monitoring and will correct if needed.

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

Saponza
Storm Trooper

Post#3 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:29 pm

It will be good to try and get people need help setting up though hard as one man to do it all
Thats why i posted here to be quite fair also cause i santed to make the best server ever lol

EDIT:

At least i hope before this post becomes lost deep within the forums. :lol:

Well hoping by tomorrow i have at least 20 members looks like its time for me to sleep this night away
Last edited by DeathStriker on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Combined Back-to-Back Posts - Added "Edit"

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#4 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:58 am

Hello there, Saponza

Welcome to the forum.

Please note this is an unofficial forum run by players, for players. The official forum died a couple of years ago now.

I see you're trying to create a Discord group for this game.

Before you put too much time or effort into it, there are already a lot of chat rooms on LINE with dedicated topics for offence, defence, HD, Squad Wars, using Kessen and indeed many other characters.

I think the resources you're looking to create already exist, if not on this site, then on LINE.

I'd suggest you at least check out these chatrooms, before investing too much time on re-creating them.

Here's a another thread that dealt with what's available in the LINE chats:

SWC-related LINE chats
Last edited by DeathStriker on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Topic Post - Imporved Links for Informational Purposes
HQ 10 - Sons of Death

You must do what you think is right, of course.

Cleric
Squadron Leader

Post#5 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:54 am

Saponza wrote:Star Wars Commander Discord

So i have always had this dream to create a discord where all commanders can meet up and chat

So i have created a server
https://discord.gg/KH46qE

Please join me in creating a place that many people can meet and talk

Joining. Discord is simply a better app than LINE.

***Update*** The discord link is expired @Saponza.

I would be willing to help you set up an SWC Community server if you want the help. I already use Discord and run my own squad's server. ( https://discord.gg/ZxcEj4y )
BB8_Resistance Leader
4 year Rebel

Are you a rebel who uses Discord? Join us here: https://discord.gg/ZxcEj4y

DarkRebel
Grand Admiral

Post#6 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:20 am

When people says "it's better" but without any qualifications or explanation on why it is better for the gaming community, it's hard to convince others.

I'd like to hear from someone who used BOTH LINE and Discord extensively before, in running a squad to post here and say which one is better.

Otherwise, it's like religious to me. You prefer to use what you prefer to use :)

I came across this posting from someone who appears to have used both to manage squads:
---
https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwar ... vs-discord

We have 30 guilds. For different reasons I have used LINE, Discord and Slack. LINE is the only solution to consider.
If you don't go into a Discord/Slack chat for a while and want to find where you left off, in Discord you can find yourself scrolling for 15 minutes because it does not work showing where you left off. If you want to scroll to where you last posted something yourself, you can never find it in an active chat. LINE right justifies the comments you make but left justifies all of the posts by others, making it very easy to locate posts. You want to invite a bunch of people to a chat really quick? You can't do it with Discord or Slack...it is links or emails. No one has time for that, it's junk. With LINE it can take seconds to invite a ton of people to one chat! I am in chats with hundreds of people...like I said, we are a part of 30 guilds. LINE has stickers that are awesome! When you have raid rules and important info to post in a specific chat for your guild members and you want to make sure people are reading it...LINE shows you how many members of a chat have seen the important information / required reading without needing anyone to reply. Discord/Slack don't have that. A few weeks ago, Discord channels just randomly stopped showing up. Slack has limited storage unless you pay up. I'm in a Discord channel with a couple hundred people. When there is a hot topic going on and multiple people are typing/posting and you enter trying to catch up, good luck! The screen seems to just randomly jump around with each post. It's ridiculous. Sometimes in Discord, the channel seems to "stick" which doesn't allow me to scroll. I have to go out of that channel, click on another, click back out of that one and go back to where I wanted to be originally. Also, when the app first starts up, it sometimes takes me 3 clicks to get where I want to be but with LINE it opens to wherever I was last. Managing multiple guilds in a guild family has to be a nightmare in anything but LINE.
I view Discord and Slack as just plain broken. They are not friendly, fun, easy to use or even functional in some cases. The only real answer is LINE.
Some people might bring up the psycho people and bots destroying some LINE chats. My only answer to that is you really need to know who you are inviting to chats. Common sense will carry you pretty far in life.

Midge
Grand Admiral

Post#7 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:39 am

LINE simply has the largest community base ... so it is likely the best one to use if you want more than a your own squad experience.
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed

Cleric
Squadron Leader

Post#8 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:29 pm

That must be an old post because I have not had those issues (not finding where I left off or what I said last and no issues scrolling either). I have used both LINE and Discord. I say Discord is a better platform because:
1. In your server you can create multiple topics each with multiple channels. For instance, our War Room has a channel for scouting and one for active war related chat.
2. Roles can be designed and assigned as needed with as many permissions as the server owner wishes. This allows a Leader to create a role for Officers and get them to help moderate the server. Many other purpose are served by assigning roles as well.
3.Notifications are mutable by channel. This means that a member can mute channels that are unimportant like a fun chat channel while leaving notifications on fir something like War Orders.
4. Channels can be Role specific. This means that management decisions are kept to those actually involved in making the decision.
5. The Discord app is smaller than the LINE app. This means members are more likely to download the alternate chat and be more involved in the squad.
6. Discord can integrate into Guilded which has SWC listed as a game they connect to. I have not done much with Guilded so I can't say how good it is.
7. I, personally, find Discord to be more adult designed or focused rather than teenager focused. It is sleek, professional and functional.

Midge has a point though, LINE became the main SWC alt chat app and Discord has not yet pushed them out. So there are more squads on LINE than Discord as far as I can tell. Honestly, I think most people that give Discord a chance will end up agreeing that it is a better experience than LINE.

EDIT:

:shock: Oops. Don't know why my edit posted as a new reply...

Moderator Note: I corrected Post for you.
Last edited by DeathStriker on Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Combined Back-to-Back Posts - Added "Edit"
BB8_Resistance Leader
4 year Rebel

Cleric
Squadron Leader

Post#9 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks DeathStriker
BB8_Resistance Leader
4 year Rebel

Saponza
Storm Trooper

Post#10 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:17 am

https://discord.gg/2pCd8k5 im now with ucl tracker but we turned it into a more general chat too
This should never expire

Return to “General Discussions”