The Death Of Mortar Turrets, Unless.........

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
CoolGuy
Commodore

The Death Of Mortar Turrets, Unless.........

Post#1 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:59 pm

By now all high level players know what to expect turret wise when they attack. For Rebels you will get Rapid/Rocket/Sonic combos, and for Empire it will be Burst/Rapid/Sonic combos - with a high emphasis on Burst now for Empire as they wipe out jets very quickly. I just skip those bases, so they keep their loot, but get no defensive wins.

What turret is missing here? Mortars. Why, because they don't work on jets/jumps which all the high level players are using.

Solution - a Mortar skin that provides air burst damage to jets, say 50% extra damage to the central target and 25% extra to surrounding targets.

This might just make mortars relevant again, or it might just be another skin that upsets the balance.

Open for discussion.

RabidWarBunny
Commander

Re: The Death Of Mortar Turrets, Unless.........

Post#2 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:41 am

A skin to make a mortar relevant is problematic. If you create one skin, this will lead to more skins for turrets, further saturate the frag pool and exacerbate the overall troop imbalance which is why most use jets/jumps as the backbone of their loadout.

Why not re-balance/optimize current troop attributes to make mortar turrets useful again? I'd like to see (for the Empire as an example) heavies, dark troopers, dewbacks, AT-STs and AT-MPs made more capable that matches their ease of counter. These units are ok up to level 6 but after that its jets/jumps, maybe a couple TX-225s and twi-leks.

JadePrince
Squadron Leader

Post#3 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:35 am

I think the underlying problem is the jumper/jet armory buff makes them op. But, considering the lack of balancing on other armory buffs. I do not anticipate any change to this trend. ......sham
Knights•of•Ren♞ English ♞ MUST Use Chat & Req Troops upon joining ♞ MUST be Active -8 Days, Donate, and Request ♞ NO rushed Bases in War ♞ MUST use Discord to War ♞

Plagueis
Grand Admiral

Post#4 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:05 am

I had the same idea with air bursting mortar rounds and additional turret skins that change their firing. This would allow players to better tailor their defenses to specific threats. As for diluting the frag pool, it really doesn’t make that much of a difference considering everyone woul be in the same boat and with more ways to counter specific strategies, there would no longer be a “go-to” unit to frag chase that could tackle every base layout and turret skin combo. If you ran jumps/jets, all you would see would be a mix of glowing mortars/other turrets but you wouldn’t know whether they’re set up to completely neuter a jump/jet attack while being more vulnerable to a heavy + med attack.

CoolGuy
Commodore

Post#5 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:48 am

Plagueis wrote:I had the same idea with air bursting mortar rounds and additional turret skins that change their firing. This would allow players to better tailor their defenses to specific threats. As for diluting the frag pool, it really doesn’t make that much of a difference considering everyone woul be in the same boat and with more ways to counter specific strategies, there would no longer be a “go-to” unit to frag chase that could tackle every base layout and turret skin combo. If you ran jumps/jets, all you would see would be a mix of glowing mortars/other turrets but you wouldn’t know whether they’re set up to completely neuter a jump/jet attack while being more vulnerable to a heavy + med attack.

Agree, it would be nice to have something to push players back into using other units. And why have a turret that works perfectly well on all other units apart from jets not being in play anymore.

TNT
Major General

Post#6 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:16 am

CoolGuy wrote:
Plagueis wrote:I had the same idea with air bursting mortar rounds and additional turret skins that change their firing. This would allow players to better tailor their defenses to specific threats. As for diluting the frag pool, it really doesn’t make that much of a difference considering everyone woul be in the same boat and with more ways to counter specific strategies, there would no longer be a “go-to” unit to frag chase that could tackle every base layout and turret skin combo. If you ran jumps/jets, all you would see would be a mix of glowing mortars/other turrets but you wouldn’t know whether they’re set up to completely neuter a jump/jet attack while being more vulnerable to a heavy + med attack.

Agree, it would be nice to have something to push players back into using other units. And why have a turret that works perfectly well on all other units apart from jets not being in play anymore.

Other units are still unviable as long as Rodian snipers GR still exist.

But on topic:

I never really liked mortar turrets. They shoot and move so slow. But this is the type of equipment I'd like to see more off. Not flat boosts, but adding or removing abilities. It's a nice idea.
Join the Rebel3Squad.
Actually we joined up with the OuterRimRioters. Join us and reminiscine about the good old days when the game was playable.

Shelendil
Admiral

Post#7 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:25 am

There's a balance problem when only one turret is preferred, but not every turret has to be viable all the time. I'd rather see time invested in making other units more useful.
ShadyRebels24
You know you wanna be shady ;)

DarkRebel
Admiral

Post#8 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:04 am

They are still useful at lower levels (L7 or lower) and deadly against infantry attack.

The question here is why players are still using jets jumps even after the burst buff ?

sapa
Commander

Post#9 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:01 am

DarkRebel wrote:The question here is why players are still using jets jumps even after the burst buff ?

hm its funny you ask? im guessing you are imp player....with GR rodians/buffed bursts i cant remeber of any combo wich will destroy first shields, then bursts and rodians in the end...with jets i have some chance

if imps are affraid to attacked me with full cred vaults (6M) and buffed bursts and no GR snipers..imagine how rebels players feels when they see glowing baracks and glowing bursts ;)

devs realy sinking deep.....
Last edited by DeathStriker on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Topic Post - Corrected Quote for Clarity

Plagueis
Grand Admiral

Post#10 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:59 pm

sapa wrote:
DarkRebel wrote:The question here is why players are still using jets jumps even after the burst buff ?

hm its funny you ask? im guessing you are imp player....with GR rodians/buffed bursts i cant remeber of any combo wich will destroy first shields, then bursts and rodians in the end...with jets i have some chance

if imps are affraid to attacked me with full cred vaults (6M) and buffed bursts and no GR snipers..imagine how rebels players feels when they see glowing baracks and glowing bursts ;)

devs realy sinking deep.....

It’s still the same for both factions. Jets/jumps are simply still the fastest way to destroy a wide variety of base structures. Bringing imp bursts up to par with the additional jet buff didn’t dissuade rebels from using jets just as a slight modifier to bursts vs. fliers didn’t stop imps from using jumps as all other units would have the same issues, if not worse now.

Return to “General Discussions”