Nearly four years and getting bored

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
FinrodFelagund
Major General

Nearly four years and getting bored

Post#1 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:01 am

Based on what I have read from many players I do not think I am the only long time player getting bored with the game. I still participate in Squad Wars, do some of the Events, but the luster has dimmed for me.
What are some realistic ideas of what the game needs?
I would love Level 11: never going to happen.
Some folk want an non-Armory planet: no way, no how.
What really would make the game better, rejuvenate enthusiasm, bring in new players; and is actually possible?
Or is it too late?
A proper rebalance of the Matchmaking: sure would be great, but we don’t have enough players yet to make it practical unless they made the Dev bases worthwhile.
Would love to hear other ideas.
We used bows, then we discovered bowcasters.
The Pointy-eared folk have a couple openings

Jaykoz3
Commodore

Re: Nearly four years and getting bored

Post#2 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:32 am

What the devs really should do is make each faction truly different from one another. There are too many like for like units.

The rebels need bonafide heroes. Imperials definitely have a huge advantage in the hero department.

I'd like to see the Squad Wars tweaked. Add a mini-war option for squads of say 5-7 players a side. Give an option for No Ops, or maybe give each faction SW specific units/abilities that can only be used during wars. For instance the Imperials might have the ability to have Rancor barracks (think Guard Reserve) and the Rebels might have the ability to call in a one time ion cannon strike at the beginning of an attack. Maybe add in the ability to challenge specific squads to wars? That would a long way to spicing things up.

Give the rebels a cantina, and the imperials a bounty hunters guild. Each faction has their own specific mercenary units instead of sharing them.

Jets/Jumps aren't immune to traps. That might help level out the Jet/Jump dominance some.

Just spit balling.....

Boog
Grand Admiral

Post#3 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:39 am

The main thing I'd like to see is fixed matchmaking, where HQ level determines your opponent pool. The current formula is complete bullshit and broken. I'd love to see the end of rewarding medal-sandbaggers and minibases for working the system. I don't see it ever happening, though.

I'd say give imps more buffed vehicles and rebs more buffed infantry, but the barracks are nearly buffed out. I guess they could buff the shit out of the repair and med droids to encourage divergent attack tactics.

desmshei

Post#4 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:30 pm

I've been at this for 3 years in Sep. First 9 months out of a squad. Then 12 months in a squad. Then change from Windows to Gameroom. Then 8 months out of a squad then 2 months in a squad. The last 2 months have been out of a squad

So essentially I've played 4 different games in 3 years and this has kept me fresh

Suggestions - Squad wars should be on weekends Fri 6 pm to Mon 6am with during the week being used for practice and mobilization by members

Squads should be 5, 10 or 15 members allowing the squad to share out the workload

Rewards must include crystals for exceptional performance. Best squad, best level player, most medals, etc. Developers want continued revenue but you need to invent the junior players to spend to get to be a senior player
Finally, regional conflicts every 3 months so that the North American play among themselves and so on. Winner of each region is rewarded

Midge
Admiral

Post#5 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Fixed mm CANT happen. There are not enough players. They would have to introduce a megaton of developer bases.

I don't honestly know what they could do to invigorate it. They could advertise it for one thing and try to get an influx of new players.

They could also offer something like double rewards or whatever for players under level 9 or something so they feel like they can catch up in a timely fashion.

New players are the largest issue facing the game at this point. There are not enough of them. Getting them is more important than pleasing the old players.

EDIT: They also need to reduce defense. Getting a defend should be difficult as hell. Games thrive when people can attack and WIN ... encouraging them to be ON. Certainly there are players good enough and decked out enough to win, but the large majority is struggling on offense more than they ever were prior to GR troops and sniper skins, etc.

Making attacks a CHORE and something you feel you need a FULL air cook for, discourages grinding, which slows overall game growth.
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed

DarkRebel
Admiral

Post#6 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:30 pm

We should play a new game.
I am thinking about retiring, again, for the second time :)
(already retired my reb account for a year now, reaching end of life on my IMP base),

mkenobi
Admiral

Post#7 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:15 pm

I'm playing for almost 4 years... First on Windows, where I built a level 10 Imperial base and a Level 6 Rebel base. Recently, I reached Level 10 with my Imperial and Rebel primary bases on iOS/Android. And when you reach Level 10, you won the game. Whatever you still have to upgrade or special units that you still need to unlock, they don't matter anymore. You get bored.

I'm retiring from Squad Wars like I already retired from Conflicts, Events, and Daily Objectives... I will attack only for the loot to pay upgrades that will last 1 week or more to complete, and stay away untill they finish and I can upgrade anything again...

I have my own squads as Imperial and Rebel, and I keep a 2nd low level bases for both factions to help my first accounts to keep their SC always full. These low accounts are what makes me play the game a little more just to try to find some fun.

Game can be funny at low levels if you already know how the game works and what you have to do. For many in the highest levels like me, the game is dead, boring or pointless.
A Windows survivor now training players and helping squads through the Galaxy!

Imperial HQ10 in "BombSquad18" (Level 49 squad)
Rebel HQ10 / HQ8 in "Ewok_revenge" (Level 50 squad)

ChiptheFish
Commodore

Post#8 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:02 pm

A few ideas, but not sure how they'd actually affect mechanics (some are repeats). Brainstorm time!

1. Non-armory option. Either a planet without armory or a way to disable it, like turning off all your buffs before you go out attacking. Imagine how that would affect defensive base design if you knew that there was a chance you'd get attacker without your defensive buffs working.
2. Increase the stakes and risks. When attacking there should be a limit to how many times you can skip. After the first two or three skips, the "Done" bailout button is disabled and then on the 8th skip you are committed to attack whatever base comes next. I bet we'd be a lot more careful about closing which base we skipped!
3. Frags should be easier to get or research times should be lower. If you do the math, it takes many years to research everything. YEARS for a mobile game.
4. Matchmaking should be based on a calculation of your attack potential, not your defensive potential. I don't understand how the current calculation was even approved. If they need more dev bases, get to it.
5. Mini games you can play while troops are cooking or as a supplement for bored players. Maybe more training scenarios, like the old Tatt stories, where you are given a limited troop load and a difficult task. Maybe something that involves the Cantina, like games. Something in space, perhaps with the planet hopping building (name?)
6. Rejuvenate Squad Wars. This will be the hardest, since it depends on enough squads participating. But I like the 5/10/20 war option, no OP option, and a request list for squads that specially want to battle each other. Maybe the No OP option could also add the chance that your rewards are Contraband instead of alloy or gold.
7. Some sort of trading function? Trade frags, loot, inventory characters, etc. on some sort of market.
8. Squad themes. Custom artwork, logos, colors, music, etc. Sometimes it's about fun, not just strategy.
9. Something after lvl 10. This would be the hardest since all the units and buildings are capped at ten already. Maybe a neighbor base that is either a farm, racetrack, or just secondary base.
Chip the Fish, Rebel: HQ10, Medals: 26K, Battle Rank: 13 (Android)
ObiTwo: A Level 42 Squad - Join us!
Casual but active L4-10 player's welcome. 1-2 wars a week. Any time-zone. English only

spootieho
Commodore

Post#9 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:32 pm

The best thing to do, IMO, is to start playing a new different game. There are thousands of better games ready for you to play, once you break out of the chains :)
Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders

RockRobot80
Squadron Leader

Post#10 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:34 pm

I played years ago as Rebel. Took about a year off and then started up again as Imperial. I have several Imp accounts going now and that, for the most part, keeps it fun still. Starting new bases is a nice change once you get to weeks of build times on higher levels. I also play other games when this one gets too tedious for me.

I've been thinking of starting a new rebel base just to try out units I never got to use before.
Leader of TheCollective as Oola-Roo
Level 50 Imperial Squad
Always Recruiting

Return to “General Discussions”