A few ideas, but not sure how they'd actually affect mechanics (some are repeats). Brainstorm time!
1. Non-armory option. Either a planet without armory or a way to disable it, like turning off all your buffs before you go out attacking. Imagine how that would affect defensive base design if you knew that there was a chance you'd get attacker without your defensive buffs working.
2. Increase the stakes and risks. When attacking there should be a limit to how many times you can skip. After the first two or three skips, the "Done" bailout button is disabled and then on the 8th skip you are committed to attack whatever base comes next. I bet we'd be a lot more careful about closing which base we skipped!
3. Frags should be easier to get or research times should be lower. If you do the math, it takes many years to research everything. YEARS for a mobile game.
4. Matchmaking should be based on a calculation of your attack potential, not your defensive potential. I don't understand how the current calculation was even approved. If they need more dev bases, get to it.
5. Mini games you can play while troops are cooking or as a supplement for bored players. Maybe more training scenarios, like the old Tatt stories, where you are given a limited troop load and a difficult task. Maybe something that involves the Cantina, like games. Something in space, perhaps with the planet hopping building (name?)
6. Rejuvenate Squad Wars. This will be the hardest, since it depends on enough squads participating. But I like the 5/10/20 war option, no OP option, and a request list for squads that specially want to battle each other. Maybe the No OP option could also add the chance that your rewards are Contraband instead of alloy or gold.
7. Some sort of trading function? Trade frags, loot, inventory characters, etc. on some sort of market.
8. Squad themes. Custom artwork, logos, colors, music, etc. Sometimes it's about fun, not just strategy.
9. Something after lvl 10. This would be the hardest since all the units and buildings are capped at ten already. Maybe a neighbor base that is either a farm, racetrack, or just secondary base.
Chip the Fish, Rebel: HQ10, Medals: 26K, Battle Rank: 13 (Android)
FriendsofOB1: A Level 50 Squad - Join us!
Casual but active L4-10 player's welcome. 1-2 wars a week. Any time-zone. English only