Burst Turret Buff. Could this be the last straw for Rebels?

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
erfs
Commodore

Re: Burst Turret Buff. Could this be the last straw for Rebels?

Post#21 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:05 am

TNT wrote:Honestly, why would this update be the straw?

Burst turrets are fairly easy to counter thanks to their shorter range. Just bring Hails. Jets wreck the shields, hails wreck the Bursts.
While I can't say yet if this will work out in practice, in theory Rebels should be happy with this update.
The ever looming threat of the Jets will also ensure that no Imperial will ever go full mortars.

yes and no - will need to work on this more but depending on the base layout this may not work (GR units, droidekas, jets killed while they get the shields, rocket turrets next to the bursts... will definitely make things more interesting as tactics need to be adjusted.

LordManson
Squadron Leader

Re: Burst Turret Buff

Post#22 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:35 am

Cymraeg wrote:Hi all. First post from a long time reader. I'm imp 148k plus medals with a second base. Spent a load on a very very enjoyable game. More fool me maybe. I screamed with absolute horror in June 17 with guard reserve and imp snipers. Total and utter SWC is dead moment. Then came the jets.

These whines about anything or anything on this forum imp or rebel comes down to the damned armoury or the attackers skill. Yep I can give the likes of Deception, Eg Ta Kit, Marlon etc a damned good whack. Though takes full air, squad centre etc. Yep without that shister Kessen. Moral of the story. It's just as tough being an imp attacking on Tat or any planet when you are looking for contraband or loot.

My base gets rolled by any competent rebel. I had 1000+ defensive wins up to guard reserve. Players from Party like Havoc, Nameless etc now just use 17+ jets. When I read these last few posts. Well I had to reply. I totally agree with Dark Rebel and Plagueis etc. How do I now beat Tatoonie bases constantly? No jets just the trusted old At-at hero and a sandtrooper swarm. Incredibly effective. I have no doubt I could do that against any rodian guard reserve. I've used the swarm against Kingasra, Aj Boogie etc.

Moral of the story in today's SWC. Unless you're brave. Like Einstein said. Doing the same thing ...... Meant my SWC game experience became totally different. Thoroughly different. Enjoyable or I would have quit. Rodians became ineffective after the nerf. In effect a whole heap more imps quit than rebs. Look at the figures.

I truly hope this game will survive. Over the last 3 years it's been truly awesome. Yet everything comes to an end. Unless we all as commanders stop this whine fest and enjoy the game together. Well.....

Last thoughts. Crikey I hate the Amazon status 400. Can't attack at the moment. Yet I hate Kessen more. So so so cheap way to win. Could rebs win just using the Elite At-Tt alternative without that Kessen bloke?? Kudos to Carnage, Casey, Kamui etc. From a Line for that hero.

For info I attack with 2 shocks, 1 repair droid, 3 astromedichs and a storm swarm. New At-ad and buffed hover tank. Hero Elite At-at. Especially on Hoff though with a MHC and a heavy medic combo.

Take care all.

P.S Looking for a good squad to war with. Only me and my second account at the moment.

EDIT:

Don't know how to edit my post. Kudos to Lieutenant Dan, Dennis, TrimixCaveDiver, Hawkeye amongst others as well.

Did you find a squad to war with? BOUNTYHUNTERS always at war

TNT
Major General

Post#23 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:34 am

Burst turrets are fairly easy to counter thanks to their shorter range. Just bring Hails. Jets wreck the shields, hails wreck the Bursts.
While I can't say yet if this will work out in practice, in theory Rebels should be happy with this update.
The ever looming threat of the Jets will also ensure that no Imperial will ever go full mortars.

Now if only the GR would get properly changed, then we might be able to use not-jets again.

I just kicked this topic up to tell me I was wrong.

Imps have gone full burst turret farms and I for one have found no way to counter this yet.
Unfortunately, my hope of using anything else to help take out burst turrets have shown to be in vain as infinite Rodian Snipers swarm out to kill every non jet in short order.
- Troopers (lvl8 skin)/Heavy troopers(soon lvl7 skin) are either one shot or 2 shot even with healbots.
- Hails perform roughly as I had hoped they would and would actually be key, however as Rodian Sniper GR kills all units protecting them they're dead meat immediately after. They were originally expiring faster, but as there are no more airstrikes on defense currently this makes them survive longer.
- Fun thing, burst turrets are also excellent at killing the short ranged TX units because they come equipped with a 25% boost to bruiser armor units. So my lvl9 TX skins are nearly useless.

Exactly how did the devs hope to balance the game this way?

Honestly, nerf the hell out of all guard reserve and stop messing with turret values please.

For now though, I can't participate unless I go after LVL 10 dev bases with their full maxed out dekas and traps. Which is boring and tedious.
So I'm currently just helping eskew the defense data by attacking everyone by dropping a deko and then leaving to throw away my medals. See if I can get my medals to 1. :)

If any commanders have tips for lvl9 rebels then please share.
Join the Rebel3Squad.
Actually we joined up with the OuterRimRioters. Join us and reminiscine about the good old days when the game was playable.

mkenobi
Admiral

Post#24 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:16 am

The RFT nerf was not the end for any Imperial, but the beginning of a new era of awesome defenses for everyone running Burst turrets now, you only need to adjust your base to protect the Bursts (Range 9) against Rebel Snipers and Hails behind buildings and close to buffed Rocket or Sonics Level 9/10.

It was a pain in the ass for me to change my 6 RFTs to Burst. I had to cancell HQ 10 upgrading to use the alloy, and costed time swapping the turrets and upgrading Heat Sink from Level 1 to Level 6 (the same of my RFT), and a few adjusts in my base until find the best way. Now I'm having awesome defenses against full Level 10 Jets + Landseers loadouts, with defenses of 46, 43, 41, 39 medals, something I didn't have since my Windows Level 10 base. And while I'm in an empty squad -- all those defenses were with an empty Squad Center!

Only bursts will not save your day, but together with your GR and SC troops, and a good defensive layout, sure it will.

I'm running Level 9 Rocket/Burst with Heat Sink (Level 6) + GR Sniper (Level 7) + Rodian skin (Level 6) + GR MHC (Level 7). I let traps and dekas out of order to save alloy and use my Bots in upgrades, and I know if I fill my Squad Center with Rodians, more defenses I will have.

I'm not attacking with my Rebel base HQ 9 now, I don't know how my Jets Level 6 skins will deal with all those buffed Burst. Maybe soon, when I start looting to upgrade to HQ 10 i will know...
A Windows survivor now training players and helping squads through the Galaxy!

Imperial HQ10 in "BombSquad18" (Level 49 squad)
Rebel HQ10 / HQ8 in "Ewok_revenge" (Level 50 squad)

DrPain
Commodore

Post#25 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:36 am

Need moar heal ships, lol.

I remember when the devs first super-boosted the turrets back when most rebels were attacking with Kessen/sharps. Lots of people had problems attacking with rapids taking out the sharps before they could heal. Eventually, I started mixing in a few different types of units. I used a couple of twilek to weaken the walls and absorb some of the initial dmg, started using atrts to zap the first few turrets, and was more careful in choosing where to launch the attack.

My guess is that some of that is still true. Probably need to mix in more TXs and atrts, pick more ideal spots to attack from, take down the shields quicker, Kessen snipe if possible, etc.

lc77
Commodore

Post#26 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:41 am

Have they nerfed jets? They seem less deadly of late.

mkenobi
Admiral

Post#27 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:44 am

lc77 wrote:Have they nerfed jets? They seem less deadly of late.

I don't think Jets were or will be nerfed for a while. But when you buff something and that starts doing more damage to a specific unit and you don't buff that specific unit to resist to all new damage factor, the whole thing works as a nerf for that unit in particular.

That's what many Rebels with high level Jet skins are experienced now when attacking Imperial bases with Armory Burst turrets. Rebels Jets are 2 levels stronger than an equivalent Imperial Jump due to GR Sniper + Rodians being OP. After the GR/Rodian nerf, all rebels attacking with Jets had an advantage.

With the Burst buff, Rebels have lost this advantage or at least this advantage was considerably reduced.
A Windows survivor now training players and helping squads through the Galaxy!

Imperial HQ10 in "BombSquad18" (Level 49 squad)
Rebel HQ10 / HQ8 in "Ewok_revenge" (Level 50 squad)

lc77
Commodore

Post#28 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:03 am

mkenobi wrote:
lc77 wrote:Have they nerfed jets? They seem less deadly of late.

I don't think Jets were or will be nerfed for a while. But when you buff something and that starts doing more damage to a specific unit and you don't buff that specific unit to resist to all new damage factor, the whole thing works as a nerf for that unit in particular.

That's what many Rebels with high level Jet skins are experienced now when attacking Imperial bases with Armory Burst turrets. Rebels Jets are 2 levels stronger than an equivalent Imperial Jump due to GR Sniper + Rodians being OP. After the GR/Rodian nerf, all rebels attacking with Jets had an advantage.

With the Burst buff, Rebels have lost this advantage or at least this advantage was considerably reduced.

Sorry, I meant the crazy ones that come flying out of the SC.

This change is confusing. Swapped my rapids for burst, which was a pain. Now the rebs jets are not doing the job. They did before, even with the OP rapids. Not changed my layout either.

So was the overall intent to tick off rebs, after first ticking off imps?

Crankyface
Commander

Post#29 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:15 pm

TNT wrote:

Now if only the GR would get properly changed, then we might be able to use not-jets again.

I just kicked this topic up to tell me I was wrong.

Imps have gone full burst turret farms and I for one have found no way to counter this yet.
Unfortunately, my hope of using anything else to help take out burst turrets have shown to be in vain as infinite Rodian Snipers swarm out to kill every non jet in short order.
- Troopers (lvl8 skin)/Heavy troopers(soon lvl7 skin) are either one shot or 2 shot even with healbots.
- Hails perform roughly as I had hoped they would and would actually be key, however as Rodian Sniper GR kills all units protecting them they're dead meat immediately after. They were originally expiring faster, but as there are no more airstrikes on defense currently this makes them survive longer.
- Fun thing, burst turrets are also excellent at killing the short ranged TX units because they come equipped with a 25% boost to bruiser armor units. So my lvl9 TX skins are nearly useless.

Exactly how did the devs hope to balance the game this way?

Honestly, nerf the hell out of all guard reserve and stop messing with turret values please.

For now though, I can't participate unless I go after LVL 10 dev bases with their full maxed out dekas and traps. Which is boring and tedious.
So I'm currently just helping eskew the defense data by attacking everyone by dropping a deko and then leaving to throw away my medals. See if I can get my medals to 1. :)

If any commanders have tips for lvl9 rebels then please share.

after a week of testing on Dev bases (mostly Sonic/Burst farms) i believe i have a LO that works for me. I am finding success (1 or 2 stars and occasional 3 star) on tougher bases. I do plant spectacular as well mostly because of an mistake or 2 on my deployment ;). But needed to adjust to the shift, i talk to some IMPs and rebs are still sending in swarms of jets like adding more are going to help. I'm not the best attacker and Im sure a few top level Imps have had a good laugh over my plants but i learn and adjust. It can be done, its all about LO and IMP base management. Going on 4 years of playing this game, these are the ebbs and flows of the game. You need to learn to ride it out and adjust. I find players get stuck on their "fav"LO and are hard to move off something that has worked so well in the past. In our squad we share a lot of replays of what works and what doesn't no shame in posting replays of plants, if it helps just one squadmate then it was worth it. :)
Leader of KARNAGE - Part of the Kenobi-Academy Family

DarthBratzzznew
Admiral

Post#30 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:37 am

… and IS it the very last straw for any rebel?

I get attacked as often as before, only difference is I am having more defensive victories. This certainly holds for my 2nd base... hadn't logged in there for days and when I did I saw a string of 11 defensive victories , an unprecedented winning streak on defence for me.

So… is my L8 base with 4 L8 rockets and 12 L8/heatsink 5 bursts combined with L4 GR snipers/dews/storms way overpowered? My SC was baited and taken out on the second or third attack so it was not that the units in there played a major role.

It certainly would seem to be OP, however at least three of these attacks were clearly glitches or cases of lost connection. One obviuously had a deployment objective for Juggs (dropped 6 of them in one single spot and hoped for the best), another probably had to deploy a zillion scouts and a flight of HWKs and so on. One other attack was made by a L7 with mostly L5-6 troops...
In all, out of all those attacks only 2 qualified as real attacks by players knowing what they were doing I think.

Still, it gained my base 230 medals I do not need…

But I am interested if someone thinks my base (base name Darth Ninja 2 squad SITH_1ST_RECON) is OP-ed currently. I would think this is not the case.
Proud Officer of Squad_Tedford <Perks L50>, relaxed though very powerful ksod top-100 squad, great war record, sharp donations and longtime players, L9 and up. Worldwide English speaking squad, PM me if interested 8-)

Return to “General Discussions”