Horror PVP Matchmaking

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
TNT
Major General

Re: Horror PVP Matchmaking

Post#21 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:46 am

DeathStriker wrote:spootieho and TNT - I agree - BUT - there is the opposite side of the coin...

IF you make SWC Events (one of games newest feature) - where you are seeing most of the Upper Level Players crushing Level 5's and Level 6's, "harder" to complete for Upper Level Players due to the increase time it will take to get enough EP for Objectives (since you will be restricted to attacking only Base near your HQ Level) resulting in less or no Elite Crates "possible" due to running out of time, then those "Veteran Players" whom are sticking around trying to find "fun" where they can will start disappearing even faster than they currently are.

The minor "loss" of Resources for Lower Level Players getting 3-Starred by Upper Level Players can be be relatively easily made back and the 16 Hour Protection given those Players also limits the "damage".

FROM MY EXPERIENCE: Most of the Bases I am 3-Starring in the current Event are Level 6 and when I look at my Battle Log most if not all are not in a Squad leading me to believe these are "developer bases" and are therefore not effecting the Lower Level Game Players much if at all.

You are not wrong Death striker, but I think you're missing the whole root of the problem. You can't excuse a drunk driver because the bus services stopped.

You have to look at why it's so incredibly attractive to attack lower levels.
1: The rewards are worth it.
2: Normal PVP is not fun thanks to everyone using nothing but jets for offense and defence and endless waves of GR. And from the rebel side the additional hump of rodian snipers still making every not jet useless.
3: Like you alluded to, cooking times for units are too long. A full sized fail means waiting 20 minutes to attack again. With the current state of affairs if I could only attack equal level bases I wouldn't even bother. I need everything I have (including air and sc) to get 2-3 stars. And then we have to wait 4 hours for air to recharge.
Part of this could be alleviated if more diverse loadouts can be used again. Making cooktimes better would also make going after bigger targets more interesting again.

Simply put, the devs have a lot of different gameplay mechanics that are geared to getting you to spend crystals. There's nothing inherently wrong about that and some of those have been conflicting for a while now. However I personally think (based on what I can see) that there are now a number of faction inbalances(GR/Jets) and gameplay features (EP events/Matchmaking) that are actively conflicting with the crystal spending mechanics (cooktimes/EP requirements) causing a number of real threats to the playerbase. Both at the top and at the bottom.

We, higher levels have no specific right or claim for elite crates and the goals for the devs is to get us to spend money for them. It's supposed to be difficult. Thing is if they fix matchmaking while keeping the current mix of gameplay features/faction imbalances/crystal spending mechanics, it will be like you said higher levels can't compete and will leave the game.

I get a mix of alive bases and dev bases. But you can't ignore the fact that so far I think every new EP event has seen the creation of a new thread by newer players asking about why they're suddenly getting hammered by high levels within seconds of logging off. And that's just a people who bother investing time to find our forum. How many casuals do you think simply will uninstall and not bother?
I have no numbers, but the higher level players need new players to come in and this actively discourages new players to stay.
I know I was annoyed when I was lower lvl and kept getting attacked by things I could stand no chance against and at certain levels it was pretty bad.
It was never about getting resources back, it was about seeing what I could do to improve my defenses based on my base performance.
My only consolation was seeing the enemy resort to air because he misjudged my defenses.
Currently, no lower level will ever get that same feeling because at best a lower lvl will now just see me drop an extra jet making the total units that just rolled him in less than a minute 5.
Join the Rebel3Squad.
Actually we joined up with the OuterRimRioters. Join us and reminiscine about the good old days when the game was playable.

Fritzie
Commander

Post#22 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:47 am

mkenobi wrote:It's a true self service: chose what you want: baby seals for easy EPs, or big whales for the great loot of your life. Giving 150 EPs for any 3-star attack is stupid if the game does not differentiate the level of the HQ attacked. This only encourages more attacks to these bases, and discourages beginner players to stay in the game.

True that is. With the EP-calculation as it is now (30 - 70 - 150 for 1-2-3 stars) I would be stupid not to go for the small bases on Tat when I have to get 900 EP for an elite crate. And this way I get these 900 EP in 10-15 minutes. When I attack a bigger base and get only 2 stars it would be a lost attack for the EP grind, and it will cost me a lot of time to rebuild troops too.

mkenobi wrote:One way to reduce attacks on these smaller bases by higher level players is to limit the amount of EPs received per level of the HQ attacked, like in conflicts. Lower HQs give fewer points for EPs. You can attack those bases but you will need to attack more level 5s to get the same amount of EP if you attack a base of your level or more EP if the base is above your level, for example.

I would be nice if there would be more differentiation in the EP-points so that will also be valuable to attack the bigger and more challenging bases. It would bring a lot more fun in the game. I see the EP grinding as something that has to be done to upgrade some useful troops.

ObiTwo
Major General

Post#23 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:26 pm

Pull everyone back to 3 planets, a green, a desert and a snow so that we can still use all the buffs we unlocked, but the player pool is massively increased across all three planets. Run one event on those planets at a time, so players jump from one to the next en mass. Move the planetary command to level 4, so low levels can jump to all three planets by level 5, increasing population of bases across all three planets and opening up the match making for all levels on all planets. Remove dev bases.
http://www.YouTube.com/ObiTwo (tips, strategies and layouts for rebels)

Boog
Grand Admiral

Post#24 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:24 am

spootieho wrote:
Boog wrote:Why did she log out after each attack?

She is casual/normal and has better things to do than stay tied to the game.

Allowing level 10's to crush level 5 and s at such a high frequency is going to scare casual people away from the game.

Here's the good side: when you lose a revenge attack, you get to revenge again until you win. So, if level 10's are picking on you, just load up with looters, and hit the bases over and over again. And try to drain all the cband out as well. There can and should be a price to pay for attacking 5 levels down.

GeneralBeers
Captain

Post#25 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:27 am

The Devs bases should not be so fully built out and should have more money in them. They could also have lower level Dev bases, like a 5, that would be preferentially matched to higher levels vs a human one.

Boog
Grand Admiral

Post#26 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:24 pm

Lower level dev bases exist, the problem is the matchmaking algorithm. Because dev bases have low or no medals, unless the attacks also has no medals or is a sandbagger base, the attacker is always attacking one or more levels up against dev bases. The idiotic matchmaking algorithm won't allow a normal level 6 or 7 attack a level 6 or 7 dev base.

ZephyrExpress
Squadron Leader

Post#27 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:35 pm

If there are not enough active players from both factions on all planets, which seems to be the consensus around here, then ObiTwo's suggestion should be implemented. Or, take the complete opposite approach, and the developers need to put dev bases on all planets at all levels for both sides. And then set it up so no one can attack any base, real or dev, that is more than 1 or 2 HQ levels lower than their own.

The current system is clearly broken. Having rebels mostly exiled on Tatooine and Imperials mostly on the green planets is not working. Clubbing seals for easy EP is not fair if only one side is being presented with baby seal bases to club. And if the baby seal bases are actual real player bases, its not fair to those players, and will only drive them away at a time when the game needs to attract new players.
Level 9 Rebel Player
Leader of the Squad "Kenobi's_Padawan"

Boog
Grand Admiral

Post#28 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Most of the seals I see on Dando or Hoth are just dead bases. I suspect Tatooine is a different story, because for a lot of lower level players Tat is their only option, or one of only a couple planets they can visit.

erfs
Commodore

Post#29 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:37 am

Boog wrote:
spootieho wrote:
Boog wrote:Why did she log out after each attack?

She is casual/normal and has better things to do than stay tied to the game.

Allowing level 10's to crush level 5 and s at such a high frequency is going to scare casual people away from the game.

Here's the good side: when you lose a revenge attack, you get to revenge again until you win. So, if level 10's are picking on you, just load up with looters, and hit the bases over and over again. And try to drain all the cband out as well. There can and should be a price to pay for attacking 5 levels down.

That's the point many forget.

While you get clobbered by higher level Rebels on Tatooine when you are an Imperial, the same is currently true for Rebels on the forest planets and Hoth.

But personally, I would rather get hit by a level 10 with 100% damage so I lose resources once and am under protection for the next 15 hours then "winning" the defense with 4x % several times and losing resources each time.

If you are lower level or have a mini base, these planets present a great opportunity for loot (particularly for contraband) that you would otherwise not see (e.g. to upgrade your Droideka).

This is what I do - go to the planet when I am low on resources, make sure to get six stars so I can leave and then let the higher level players attack me.

Afterwards I can look at their bases, build the best looting troops, get revenge (most of the time they are not under protection) and collect the resources I need and afterward relocate to a safe planet.

A problem with the dev / low level bases that you get matched up to - both as an Imperial and Rebel - is that there is almost no loot. Yes, easy points but upgrading ain't free.

spootieho
Commodore

Post#30 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:13 am

I told her to do that today. There were 10 bases on her list. Unfortunately, none were attackable.

But the point isn't the butthurt.

The point is that players just getting into the game are going to be discouraged. If I was in her situation and hadn't gotten hooked yet, I'd probably move on to another app. There are thousands of other apps to occupy our time. I know I've neglected them due to my swc addiction.
Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders

Return to “General Discussions”