Star Wars Commander is Alive and Well

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
User avatar
Midge
Admiral
Posts: 820

Re: Star Wars Commander is Alive and Well

Post#11 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:48 am

Woah woah woah woah ... REVENUES ARE NOT HOLDING STEADY ... they were over a million just a few months ago. They are at around $500k-$600k now. Saying revenues are holding steady is true if you compare the last three months to just the last three months of a massive drop. It is simply an incorrect statement overall.

They had $1.2 million in either October or November and $600k in March after $500k in February. That is nowhere near "holding steady."

Is it the end of the world? Nah. BUT, it means the main problem is that they aren't going to INVEST INTO IT ... so, as the player count continues to dwindle (and that is shown regularly as well, with a much larger number going away in the last few months) then it just runs on auto until the lights go out.

There is nothing wrong with people seeing the numbers and noticing the decline in players and thinking it is a problem. I was REALLY hoping that Feb's numbers would be an aberration, but when March came in at the same low point, it is certainly noteworthy.

It is not doom and gloom ... it is fact.

As for "profitable" remarks, they are completely missing the point as well. Disney doesn't care if it is profitable ... they care if the resources put toward it could be MORE PROFITABLE somewhere else. They clearly thought that was the case when they closed the PR down and consolidated the development team. And with the numbers that they currently have, it could definitely be in trouble.

All that said ... if it actually does HOLD STEADY at $500k-$600k it has some life left most likely, if it dips below that, it will be in real trouble.
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : 100k+ Medals : Joined the Rebellion 12/28/2015


User avatar
Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral
Posts: 1144

Re: Star Wars Commander is Alive and Well

Post#12 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:58 am

Midge wrote:Woah woah woah woah ... REVENUES ARE NOT HOLDING STEADY ... they were over a million just a few months ago. They are at around $500k-$600k now. Saying revenues are holding steady is true if you compare the last three months to just the last three months of a massive drop. It is simply an incorrect statement overall.

They had $1.2 million in either October or November and $600k in March after $500k in February. That is nowhere near "holding steady."

Is it the end of the world? Nah. BUT, it means the main problem is that they aren't going to INVEST INTO IT ... so, as the player count continues to dwindle (and that is shown regularly as well, with a much larger number going away in the last few months) then it just runs on auto until the lights go out.

There is nothing wrong with people seeing the numbers and noticing the decline in players and thinking it is a problem. I was REALLY hoping that Feb's numbers would be an aberration, but when March came in at the same low point, it is certainly noteworthy.

It is not doom and gloom ... it is fact.

As for "profitable" remarks, they are completely missing the point as well. Disney doesn't care if it is profitable ... they care if the resources put toward it could be MORE PROFITABLE somewhere else. They clearly thought that was the case when they closed the PR down and consolidated the development team. And with the numbers that they currently have, it could definitely be in trouble.

All that said ... if it actually does HOLD STEADY at $500k-$600k it has some life left most likely, if it dips below that, it will be in real trouble.

Yes I'm referencing the last few months.
Leader ofSHADOW-GUARDrank140 148300k X
Looking forward to Solo.
Image


User avatar
Midge
Admiral
Posts: 820

Re: Star Wars Commander is Alive and Well

Post#13 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:10 am

Forceisweaknyou wrote:
Midge wrote:Woah woah woah woah ... REVENUES ARE NOT HOLDING STEADY ... they were over a million just a few months ago. They are at around $500k-$600k now. Saying revenues are holding steady is true if you compare the last three months to just the last three months of a massive drop. It is simply an incorrect statement overall.

They had $1.2 million in either October or November and $600k in March after $500k in February. That is nowhere near "holding steady."

Is it the end of the world? Nah. BUT, it means the main problem is that they aren't going to INVEST INTO IT ... so, as the player count continues to dwindle (and that is shown regularly as well, with a much larger number going away in the last few months) then it just runs on auto until the lights go out.

There is nothing wrong with people seeing the numbers and noticing the decline in players and thinking it is a problem. I was REALLY hoping that Feb's numbers would be an aberration, but when March came in at the same low point, it is certainly noteworthy.

It is not doom and gloom ... it is fact.

As for "profitable" remarks, they are completely missing the point as well. Disney doesn't care if it is profitable ... they care if the resources put toward it could be MORE PROFITABLE somewhere else. They clearly thought that was the case when they closed the PR down and consolidated the development team. And with the numbers that they currently have, it could definitely be in trouble.

All that said ... if it actually does HOLD STEADY at $500k-$600k it has some life left most likely, if it dips below that, it will be in real trouble.

Yes I'm referencing the last few months.


Lol, yes ... it has been the same for two months. It was nearly a mill in Jan. ... I think it was $850 if I recall?

So ... sure ... that is "holding steady" ... but you can say that about anything if you look at its decline and call it "holding steady." That would be like saying Albert Pujols is still elite because he has been holding steady for the last year!

Two or three months on a nearly 4-year-old game that used to REGULARLY generate between $900k-$1.6 million is tough to look at as holding steady.
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : 100k+ Medals : Joined the Rebellion 12/28/2015


Plagueis
Grand Admiral
Posts: 1323

Re: Star Wars Commander is Alive and Well

Post#14 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Midge wrote:Woah woah woah woah ... REVENUES ARE NOT HOLDING STEADY ... they were over a million just a few months ago. They are at around $500k-$600k now. Saying revenues are holding steady is true if you compare the last three months to just the last three months of a massive drop. It is simply an incorrect statement overall.

They had $1.2 million in either October or November and $600k in March after $500k in February. That is nowhere near "holding steady."

Is it the end of the world? Nah. BUT, it means the main problem is that they aren't going to INVEST INTO IT ... so, as the player count continues to dwindle (and that is shown regularly as well, with a much larger number going away in the last few months) then it just runs on auto until the lights go out.

There is nothing wrong with people seeing the numbers and noticing the decline in players and thinking it is a problem. I was REALLY hoping that Feb's numbers would be an aberration, but when March came in at the same low point, it is certainly noteworthy.

It is not doom and gloom ... it is fact.

As for "profitable" remarks, they are completely missing the point as well. Disney doesn't care if it is profitable ... they care if the resources put toward it could be MORE PROFITABLE somewhere else. They clearly thought that was the case when they closed the PR down and consolidated the development team. And with the numbers that they currently have, it could definitely be in trouble.

All that said ... if it actually does HOLD STEADY at $500k-$600k it has some life left most likely, if it dips below that, it will be in real trouble.


Saying the game is profitable is also factoring any revenue that could be potentially greater by diverting the company’s and/or fan base’s attention towards another product. I believe Disney would do just that either by abruptly closing the servers or offering “crystal packs” or whatever to lure SWC players into something a little more “fresh” once that low revenue threshold is hit. How it’s looking with very little new content or even balance patches, It could be really soon.


User avatar
Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral
Posts: 1144

Re: Star Wars Commander is Alive and Well

Post#15 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:04 pm

I propose we leave this thread for the optimistic positive folks. There already are a couple sky is falling Doom and Gloom threads.
Leader ofSHADOW-GUARDrank140 148300k X
Looking forward to Solo.
Image


User avatar
XitLiteNtrNite
Captain
Posts: 80

Re: Star Wars Commander is Alive and Well

Post#16 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Most large companies look at return on investment (ROI). If revenues are approximately $500K per month, that is $6 million a year. That is probably 10 or so developers and support staff (mangers, testers, L2, etc.) And that is assuming they aren't shifting resources away from a dwindling product base to some new, growing product, so those numbers are probably a bit high. All of this is to say, enjoy the game as-is with minimal investment because Disney won't be spending much, if anything, beyond maintenance going forward.
In game name: Paper Tiger, member of Hostile.Warfare
Line ID: paper-tiger
Discord: #6882


User avatar
Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral
Posts: 1144

Re: Star Wars Commander is Alive and Well

Post#17 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:29 pm

Good to see activity, more conflicts, events, maintenance. We're not done yet!
Leader ofSHADOW-GUARDrank140 148300k X
Looking forward to Solo.
Image


DarthBratzzznew
Admiral
Posts: 562

Re: Star Wars Commander is Alive and Well

Post#18 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:09 am

@Midge and Force, where do you find these numbers about SWC revenues?
Proud Officer of Squad_Tedford <Perks L50>, relaxed though very powerful ksod top-100 squad, great war record, sharp donations and longtime players, L9 and up. Worldwide English speaking squad, PM me if interested 8-)


Father
Storm Trooper
Posts: 3

Re: Star Wars Commander is Alive and Well

Post#19 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:58 am

Amen senpai.


User avatar
Midge
Admiral
Posts: 820

Re: Star Wars Commander is Alive and Well

Post#20 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:14 am

DarthBratzzznew wrote:@Midge and Force, where do you find these numbers about SWC revenues?


I use the Force ... duh

And it guides me to sensortower.com for the basics.
Last edited by DeathStriker on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Topic Post - Reduced White Space For Brevity
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : 100k+ Medals : Joined the Rebellion 12/28/2015


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], CoolGuy, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Jaksemate, JardDooku, mkenobi, Rypcord, Scallywag77, SpaceDandy, TipsyTurtle and 28 guests