Data Fragment Shop - The Good, Bad, and Ugly

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
DeathStriker

Data Fragment Shop - The Good, Bad, and Ugly

Post#1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:29 am

With the early information about the release of SWC Game Update to Version 5.2.0, Players for both Android and iOS both looked forward to the update when they read the following in the list of things that were new:

Unlock and upgrade units and equipment faster with the new Data Fragment Shop! Check back daily for new fragments and deals.
HOWEVER, soon after the Update was downloaded / installed and Players got to exploring the New Data Fragment Shop their initial happiness was mostly replaced by mixed feelings about the Data Fragment Shop ranging from apathy to downright anger.

What follows is a discussion about the Data Fragments Shop, the Good :D , the Bad :| , and of course the Ugly :evil:

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

1. The Good

In general, there are a couple of things that are good about the New Data Fragment Shop.

1. Top of the list is that you CAN now purchase (using Virtual Currency) Data Fragments to help you Unlock or Upgrade Armory Equipment without having to wait.
    2. There are 3 possible "offers" for Elite, Advanced and Basic Armory Equipment (see Figure 1).
    3. The use of Image Credits - and/or - Image Alloy as Optional Currency in lieu of the "default" Virtual Currency of Crystals

Figure 1. Example Showing 3 Different Offers
    (Click here to view LARGER image)

2. The Bad

There is a lot of Bad with the New Data Fragment Shop that most can agree with.

1. Top of the list here is the use of Crystals as the Default Currency.
    2. The "offers" seem to be limited to only Armory Equipment, available to HQ 6 or Higher, which is backed up by what Players with a HQ Level 5 or Lower are seeing for the New Data Fragment Shop (see Figure 2).

Figure 2. Data Fragment Shop For HQ 5 or Lower

3. The Ugly

The New Data Fragment Shop has a lot wrong and has "features" which are more likely to make Players mad than happy. Here is but a short list of the Ugly side of Marketing.

• Top of the Ugly List is that all "offers" are limited to only Armory Equipment and currently are not extended to "other" Units that use Data Fragments (this may change at some point maybe).
    • Players must wait for a particular "offer" to return and don't have the opportunity to "Buy All Needed Data Fragments" when a "offer" is presented.
    • The Player are presented with "offers" which they can not "purchase" due to them being "Maxed Out" (see Figure 3).
    • Receiving "offers" for the SAME Armory Equipment (see Figure 3).
    • For those "offers" you can "purchase" you are only offered 3 Data Fragments per "offer" (See Figure 4).
    • The "initial cost" in virtual currency (Crystals, Credits, Alloy) for ONE FRAGMENT is excessive.
    • The "cost" for the Second and subsequent Data Fragments increases dramatically bordering on outright robbery.
    • The "cost" for the "offers" is not the same for all Players as Data Miners have revealed the use of A/B/C/D Test Groups (See INFO: Data Fragment Shop Groups in post below).
    Figure 3. Data Fragment Shop Offers with One or More Maxed Out

Figure 4. Data Fragment Shop Offer Showing Only 3 Frags Available
AND SO... Post your comments both Pro and Con about the New Data Fragment Shop Below...

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

DeathStriker

INFO: Data Fragment Shop Groups

Post#2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:29 am

INFO: Data Fragment Shop Groups

The following is from a inital scan of the Client Release for Version 5.2.0 relating to the various Groups used in connection with the Data Fragments Shop.

**The Following Information Still Needs Validation**

There seems to be 4 Groups tied to the Data Fragment Shop - A, B, C, and D. Each Group has different Costs Tiers and the potential of different Virtual Currency Used. Each new "Offer" per Day may have the chance of being in one of the following four Groups:

1. Group A (Basic / Default)

• Default Currency: Crystals

• Cost Tier:

1. First Fragment: 15
        2. Second Fragment: 90
        3. Third Fragment: 390
    • Optional Currency: Image Credits - and/or - Image Alloy

• See Optional Currency Info Below
  2. Group B

• Cost Tier:

1. First Fragment: 40
        2. Second Fragment: 140

3. Group C

• Cost Tier:

1. First Fragment: 130
        2. Second Fragment: 260

4. Group D

• Cost Tier:

1. First Fragment: 25
        2. Second Fragment: 100
        3. Third Fragment: 150
        4. Fourth Fragment: 250
        5. Fifth Fragment: 350

OPTIONAL CURRENCY INFO:

There is some indication that there are various "groups" for the Optional Currency. While this still needs to be validated what we know is if used the Optional Currency will fall it to one of the following "patterns":

• Credits Low
  • Credits High
  • Credits + Alloy
  • Alloy Low
  • Alloy High
⇨ NOTE: No current Info on the "values" used for Optional Currency.

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

mkenobi
Admiral

Re: Data Fragment Shop - The Good, Bad, and Ugly

Post#3 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:33 am

The Data Fragment Shop is a joke, another bad joke from devs, or another proof of their incompetence and Mouse's greed... I think there are more Bad and Ugly, than Good in this new system.

First, if they know you are maxed out, why keep offering things you can't buy? Look what they are offering today for my Rebel Level 9 acc (what's the problem with those guys?):

Second, the different groups and prices, why don't put one price for everyone? What's the point?

Third, the price in crystals can be abusive if you need the 3 frags to unlock/upgrade an essential unit. But remember the Premium Crate costed 500/1000 crystals and gave CHANCES of getting frags for the unit you wanted, it wasn't sure you would get frags for that unit unless you kept buying more crates until get the frags...

I see only 2 good things:

1) The 15 crystals for the first frag are okay if you ONLY NEED 1 FRAG to unlock/upgrade the most important unit to use.

In my case, with my Rebel base Level 9 -- I only need one frag to upgrade my TX-225 to level 5, currently 49/50 since the 2nd Rogue One Event. I already had TXs offered for my Imperial acc, but I left them pass, then I know TXs are included in the dealing, and I'm waiting to lose 15 crystals on that frag and finally have TXs level 5.

I used 15 crystals to unlock Captain Solo (19/20) for my Rebel level 7 base, he was the only unit I didn't have unlocked yet.

2) A good way to burn alloy/credits when you are maxed out, and can't spend resources with anything else, and need to loot for Loot Objective (and you aren't in a squad to spend resources with perks).

Remember, when you have all structures maxed out you get resources instead frags, right? In practice you are using resources to buy frags to earn resources in the future... The problem is, spending resources with frags for structures, there will be less loot for the next player attacking your base -- what can be a really bad thing to the game when all players start to empty their storage buildings...
Leader of AndroidsDream Squad on Windows. Empire Level 10, 45k medals, Rank 16.
Level 9 Imperial on vacation!
Level 9/8/7 Rebel player in "Solo's_Band" Level 50 Squad (Join us and war everyday!)

GeneralTosh
Captain

Post#4 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:19 am

In summation, the bad outweighs the good. Therefore, this feature is dreadful.

Member of ELITE_UNITED
Join us for DAILY WARS

shazahm1
Captain

Post#5 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:14 pm

I wouldn't spend crystals on Elite frags but I must have "bought" 40-60 frags using resources in the past week. And that is even with several days of one or both being unavailable due to being maxed out.

This resources would have been removed from the economy either way. Had I not "spent" them they would have been lost forever due to the vaults being full.

So while not great for you, I think it is a nice addon to increase the frags per day you can earn. Heck, if they were more reasonable with their crystal prices for Elite frags, I might bite. But for some reason DI thinks they are more valuable (real world) than they really are.

Boog
Admiral

Post#6 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm a fan, I do wish they always offered frags for equipment that wasn't maxed out. I've bought a lot of turret frags.

XitLiteNtrNite
Captain

Post#7 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:45 pm

It can be used to dump credits/alloy when you need to farm a certain amount for a crate. Or a way to dump some resources when you are maxed and can't build or research anything for several more days. Other than that, I haven't found much use for it.
Paper Tiger

boshuda21
Captain

Post#8 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:35 pm

I don't mind it. I don't have much to spend credits on right now, so I spend those and then drain my alloy only if I don't have any use for it. 15-40 crystals is not a big spend for a needed frag, especially if you have all 5 droids. Heck, a week of crate hunting usually nabs me ~25-50 crystals.

Nobody is forced to patronize the frag store so I find it arguably neutral in that sense, if not a bonus.

That being said, I have noticed loot is especially scarce since the frag store came out. That would be the only downside I can admit to.

LordWader
Captain

Post#9 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:52 pm

I cant complain about it, it is actually giving me TX frags that I have been looking high and low for over six months!

I was finally able to unlock the TX two days ago and I am now half to level 2 (granted it only requires 10 frags for level 2 upgrade). Now they just need to have some air and merc frags available!

sgu97cab
Major General

Post#10 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:14 am

The good:
-For my level 7 account which doesn't have maxed frags for turrets yet the frag shop is good as I can get frags to use my excess credits and alloy rather than having to upgrade and cancel upgrades to use.
The bad:
So so many players have maxed building and turret frags so this (2/3) of the frag shop is completely pointless. They should have allowed people to buy unit equipment frags with credit and alloy.
The worse:
-Crystal cost for frags is extortionate. Today I have TX225 frags on offer for 130 a piece. I currently have 40 frags at level 5 and need another 30 to upgrade so unless you are 1 frag off an upgrade this offer is pointless
Main Account: Bacon (level 9). LINE ID: sgu97cab
Squad - NewSithEmpire
Second account: nEggs (level 8)
Squad - AUS-Darth_Gump

Return to “General Discussions”