NEW UNITS: Demolition Droid and LIN Demolitionmech - Discussion Topic

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
DeathStriker

NEW UNITS: Demolition Droid and LIN Demolitionmech - Discussion Topic

Post#1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:57 pm

Well with Part #3 of 3 of the Explosive Finish Event starting today and running for 4 Days - I thought it time to at least have a Topic to discuss the Rebel Demolition Droid and Empire LIN Demolitionmech New Infantry Units.

In-Game Developer Notes - 01-25-2018
(Click here to view LARGER image)

New Unit - Demolition Droid - Rebel Faction - Level 10

New Unit - LIN Demolitionmech - Empire Faction - Level 10

NEW UNIT ANALYSIS

NEW UNIT INFO (extracted from Developer Notes)

• Rebel Demolition Droid / Empire LIN Demolitionmech is trained in the Barracks once unlocked
  • Prioritizes and deals extra damage versus non-turret and non-resource structures:

• Barracks / Factory / Cantina
    • Squad Center
    • Armory
    • Starship Command / Hero Command / Planetary Command
    • Troop Transport
    • Research Lab
    • Scout Tower
    • Droid Hut
UNIT INFO EXTRACT (from Rebel Unit Info)

This droid is reprogrammed to ignore turrets and resources, engaging targets such as the Squad Center, Barracks, and Armory at point-blank range with explosives.

Special armoring protects the droid from its own attack, though it cannot transform and is still vulnerable to enemy fire.
UNIT INFO EXTRACT (from Empire Unit Info)

This mine-laying droid has been programmed to ignore turrets and resources, deploying explosive charges point-blank against soft targets such as Squad Center, Barracks, and Armory.

Special armor protects the droid from its own attack, but is still vulnerable to enemy fire.
ANALYSIS:

1. The highlighted text in the UNIT INFO EXTRACT above caught my attention. Essentially it states that the Rebel Demolition Droid and the Empire LIN Demolitionmech won't get damaged by its deployed explosives - BUT - can't survive Turret Direct Fire or Enemy Unit (SC / GR) Direct Fire.
  2. FURTHERMORE... from the highlighted text above for the Rebel Demolition Droid - when did any SWC Unit ever "Transform" :?:
  3. Ok... Since when was non-turret and non-resource structures so difficult to destroy that we need a separate unit to deal with them.
  4. Barracks / Factory / Cantina - YES - for HQ 6+ you have to deal with GR from Barracks and Factories and maybe at some point GR Mercenaries spawning from Cantina? But even so, by the time the Demolition Droid(s) arrive to deliver their explosive payloads they would be destroyed anyway.
  5. Squad Center - YES - just like Ithorian Infiltrators or Kubaz Invaders you could target the Squad Center - BUT - that would "trip" the SC which will spawn Units which will destroy the Demolition Droids - BEFORE - it arrives so - exactly - how do the Game Developer expect this unit to be used against a SC by any Player HQ 4 or higher? (HQ 2 and HQ 3 are less likely to have SC Units)
  6. Other Structures - what "data" is showing that Players are having difficulty in destroy these other structures (like the Scout Tower or Droid Hut) using un-buffed "Classic Game Units" ??
BOTTOM LINE: While I don't see me using this new unit "as designed" there still may be ways it can be used similar to using a Twilek Incinerator's Death Explosion to blow a hole in Walls.

Let the discussion / comments begin - both Pro and Con...

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

Boog
Admiral

Re: NEW UNITS: Demolition Droid and LIN Demolitionmech - Discussion Topic

Post#2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:22 pm

This pair of units is like the gift that you give to a person who literally has everything. It's like a bow tie with ducks on it, or a money clip that can only fit 3 bucks. I don't think they will ever be very useful. The swcpy site indicates that they actually do very little damage:

https://papajessie.github.io/swcpy/EmpireDemoDroid.html

These devs need to go back to the drawing board on these units. I doubt that happens, but they are rather pointless. I think a shock trooper does better against junk buildings than these things.

Euph
Admiral

Post#3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:09 pm

My first reaction to these doodlebug demo bots was the assumption that they were designed to counter the GR by going after their spawn points. Sorta.. wait for the first wave to spawn then sneak them in to suicide bomb the barracks/factory, kind of thing. If they actually did that effectively, they could be useful - but they'd have to do a LOT more damage.

..instead I think they might be the single worst use of unit cap in the game. I'd rather have a notoriously-shit 12-cap dowutin than three demo bots. And not only are four storms better, ONE storm is better. Definitely needs a buff if it's to be a useful unit in the future.
Sith-Society
Mature HQ10. Immature meat-bag.
The wall bug giveth, and the wall bug taketh away

Plagueis
Grand Admiral

Post#4 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Give them a 1000% damage buff and make them immune to airstrike (they are rolling armor domes after all) and now you’re talking.

LordWader
Captain

Post#5 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:54 pm

Well this unit actually makes the Fathier appear useful! Like DS said, might be useful to blow holes in walls. Otherwise, only thing it is somewhat good for is distracting SC/GR. They really missed the boat on this one

AeroSith
Captain

Post#6 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:52 am

LordWader wrote:Well this unit actually makes the Fathier appear useful! Like DS said, might be useful to blow holes in walls. Otherwise, only thing it is somewhat good for is distracting SC/GR. They really missed the boat on this one

I think the Dev's have given up on the game, or smoking ganja maybe both. :?
We have bacon and Rodian snipers!
And we also hate sand!

Alpha
Commodore

Post#7 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:13 am

just another shiny in my barracks that will never be cooked! :(

mkenobi
Admiral

Post#8 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:40 am

Alpha wrote:just another shiny in my barracks that will never be cooked! :(

This.
Leader of AndroidsDream Squad on Windows. Empire Level 10, 45k medals, Rank 16.
Level 9 Imperial on Vacation!
Level 9/8 Rebel (in "Jedi'Masterz"/"Ewok_revenge" squads, join us!)

Spirit
Commodore

Post#9 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:50 am

Agree with all comments. This droid is about as useful as a hole in your bucket. I have tested with many of my other Imp units but it is just plain useless. The fact that this is the third event for this thing suggest few people have unlocked or use it.
In my opinion a lone lugga would cause more damage to a base than a full loadout of droids would do.
Next event please Disney.
Last edited by Spirit on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Player name Ghost. A level 10 Imperial hitman. Feel the force.

Member of PinkFloyd ( The squad not the band!) Level 44 perks

erfs
Commodore

Post#10 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:14 am

Personally, I care less about the unit then the other units' frags that are included in the crates.

Now - sometimes Disney creates units that only make sense in certain scenarios or together with other troops.

Take the SD-K4: I don't think anyone past level 3 or 4 uses this in attacks.

Now, it was awesome when attacking while my secondary base was still at level 3 - could wipe an enemy base by itself. However, facing rocket (or stronger) turrets it's useless as it does not survive very long.

But: It's still great for the daily base defense, shredding through infantry and vehicle attackers alike and very fast, so I am happy I could upgrade it by a level right now.

The buffed R2 is actually not that bad when used together with Tauntauns and Jetpacks.

The alliance starfighter pilot is great when you want to lose medals and loot at the same time (don't think that was the original intent) and during squad wars when you have Yavin 4.

Have not found any good use for the demolition droid though.

But, like I said, care more about the other units' frags :)

Return to “General Discussions”