Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
Plagueis
Grand Admiral

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#31 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:43 am

DarkRebel wrote:
Plagueis wrote:
DarkRebel wrote:Only if he is an active player.

No, I don’t think anyone who rarely plays the game would catch up now or since the game was launched.

You don’t get it.

Before the armory, you were typically matched with opponents at similar strength, as game takes base rating and medal into account. Of course there were sandbaggers, or the attacking down, but for the most part, you can attack and can find bases you can beat, at your level, fair and square.

YOU COULD STILL ENJOY THE GAME AT WHATEVER THE LEVEL YOU WERE AT. YOU DID NOT HAVE TO CATCH UP. YOU HAD A CHOICE.

Armory added significant strength to both offense and defense without increasing base rating.

Today game, you have no choice but to grind for frags. Game doesn’t care whether you don’t have elite skins, or have unit at lower skin level. You have to be active, and grind and grind to get frags. If you don’t, you lose.

This topic is not about being active and catching up. It is more about how a casual player can still play the game.

Actually, many of my suggestions support casual gameplay and would allow players the opportunity to earn the frags they need to be competitive to an extent. Even low level armory equipment can make that possible. I guess it’s a good thing the game revolves around earning frags now and it’s actually hard not to earn them. Can’t dedicate hours towards grinding? Np, do squad wars, HDs or easy crates. A person can even NOT play the game and earn a daily crate and watch an in-game video for frags every so often. A casual player CAN play SWC but It’s not reasonable to think that a person can play SWC for a few minutes a day or whatever and expect to be competitive in any meaningful way with players who spend hours each day grinding away for additional rewards. Sorry 10-minute a day guy, your level 1-2 jet skins aren’t going to work against my level 8-9 guard reserve and maxed turret skins. But that doesn’t mean they’re screwed especially when there are far easier targets out there that can be felled with even low level armory equipment. That and the fact most people rely on only a handful of frag types (jumps/jets, heavies and a hero skin) that take way LESS frags to initially unlock than upgrade later.

BluePhoenix
Squadron Leader

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#32 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:54 pm

ObiTwo wrote:Guys, he's not interested in help, he just wanted to vent. Fair enough.

Many of you provided some helpful information, and some great suggestions. I also sent him a PM offering him a defense layout that can win without the armory buffs, he wasn't interested. So be it.

I am interested. I was also venting. I also have 0 private messages. If you guys know a "beast" of a defensive layout, please suggest.

Too everyone else the suggestions are good. I like Star Wars and Iike Star Wars commander. I have a schedule at times in which the real world will not allow me to daily (or at least regularly) grind the game. Honestly, even if I did, I play games for relief from the grind of the real world. If I feel a game is not just casual and fun but also a grind/chore just to get somewhere, it does not interest me. I'm trying to escape that in real life.

With that said, because I do not play that much nor do I pay that much I do not think it is fair at this point to be on equal footing for those that do one, or both of those things. I should lose when matched up against players who pay and/or grind at this point. I can not expect to be good at basketball when rarely taking a shot on the hoop (grinding/practice). Nor can I expect to be good when I do not buy good shoes (paying for equipment). I can not expect to be on equal footing with those that do those two things.

Now, with that said, there absolutely should be a matchmaking system that pairs people of "like leveled" armory items. There is nothing wrong with being a casual player. There is also nothing wrong with being a hardcore grinder/payer/player. However, these two groups are majorly different. The first group should only be paired up in PVP with players from the first group (similarly leveled items). The second group should only be matched up players in the second group. Let those who grind/play alot (and/or pay alot) only be matched with others who do the same. What would be wrong with this? Or is the real answer "people love clubbing seals" for loot and just because and actually being paired up with people who are "like" armory level means less easy wins and "less clubbing"?

Also, I see no one has answered one of the members suggestions about having one specific planet be a "no armory"/upgrade planet. I believe this is a great idea. Every single person would be on equal footing and fighting on that planet would be more about strategy then just having the better bought/grinded gear. People not ok with being on equal footing as everyone else because they feel they grinded/earned/paid more, would be free to move off this particular planet. A planet like this would be both good for casual players as well as everyone else.

ForceMel
Commander

Post#33 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:54 pm

BluePhoenix wrote:
ObiTwo wrote:Guys, he's not interested in help, he just wanted to vent. Fair enough.

Many of you provided some helpful information, and some great suggestions. I also sent him a PM offering him a defense layout that can win without the armory buffs, he wasn't interested. So be it.

I am interested. I was also venting. I also have 0 private messages. If you guys know a "beast" of a defensive layout, please suggest.

Too everyone else the suggestions are good. I like Star Wars and Iike Star Wars commander. I have a schedule at times in which the real world will not allow me to daily (or at least regularly) grind the game. Honestly, even if I did, I play games for relief from the grind of the real world. If I feel a game is not just casual and fun but also a grind/chore just to get somewhere, it does not interest me. I'm trying to escape that in real life.

With that said, because I do not play that much nor do I pay that much I do not think it is fair at this point to be on equal footing for those that do one, or both of those things. I should lose when matched up against players who pay and/or grind at this point. I can not expect to be good at basketball when rarely taking a shot on the hoop (grinding/practice). Nor can I expect to be good when I do not buy good shoes (paying for equipment). I can not expect to be on equal footing with those that do those two things.

Now, with that said, there absolutely should be a matchmaking system that pairs people of "like leveled" armory items. There is nothing wrong with being a casual player. There is also nothing wrong with being a hardcore grinder/payer/player. However, these two groups are majorly different. The first group should only be paired up in PVP with players from the first group (similarly leveled items). The second group should only be matched up players in the second group. Let those who grind/play alot (and/or pay alot) only be matched with others who do the same. What would be wrong with this? Or is the real answer "people love clubbing seals" for loot and just because and actually being paired up with people who are "like" armory level means less easy wins and "less clubbing"?

Also, I see no one has answered one of the members suggestions about having one specific planet be a "no armory"/upgrade planet. I believe this is a great idea. Every single person would be on equal footing and fighting on that planet would be more about strategy then just having the better bought/grinded gear. People not ok with being on equal footing as everyone else because they feel they grinded/earned/paid more, would be free to move off this particular planet. A planet like this would be both good for casual players as well as everyone else.

I don't think they can do this with this game because of the disparity between imps and rebs. Simply put, there are many more imps than there are rebs.

Because of this, they've had to widen the parameters of matchmaking to allow for a larger pool of potential matches in order to cut down on the amount of cnfo imps would have. If matchmaking were strict level for level matching, then most imps would have trouble even finding battles.

That's pretty much the sole reason for the wide disparity in matchmaking. If both sides were equal, a level 7 would fight another level 7, and so on.
Leader of perennially top 15 squad IIReBeLsII and number 12 player of the now defunct Windows servers. Current leader of Rebelsyiir.

Per
Storm Trooper

Post#34 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:21 am

more money or time you spend on game,more loot you get

matchmaking works based on your basescore

higher you have,stronger players attacked you

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#35 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:17 pm

BluePhoenix wrote:Also, I see no one has answered one of the members suggestions about having one specific planet be a "no armory"/upgrade planet. I believe this is a great idea. Every single person would be on equal footing and fighting on that planet would be more about strategy then just having the better bought/grinded gear. People not ok with being on equal footing as everyone else because they feel they grinded/earned/paid more, would be free to move off this particular planet. A planet like this would be both good for casual players as well as everyone else.

Hello there, Blue

The idea of an armoury free planet has been discussed several times, and I, like many others, support the idea. However, please understand this is an unofficial forum, and we don't know how often Devs or Disney read it, or even which parts they read.

Your main complaint is about the impact of the armoury on the game. I agree with all of your criticisms. However, with the number of players and the spread of abilities, I don't think this is going to change any time soon.

I think the armoury has been an interesting addition to the game, but it would have been better implemented with much lower boosts for each level.

You can have hope from this thread, though. You play as a rebel, and Saw Gerrera used to say "Rebellions are built on hope".

There has been a lot of practical constructive advice in this thread from Imperials and Rebels alike. I recommend all of their advice to you, as a casual player of the game.

I've got to HQ10 without spending a penny, and without grinding for hours each day. The strategies I have used are those that have been described to you:
- Squad War win rewards to pay for expensive upgrades - (you get elite (gold) unit frags for them too)
- complete objective crates - you get frags and generous rewards for these
- don't worry about medals (if the crate is destroy 4 droid huts, deploy enough troops to destroy the hut on a base and then move on to the next one)
- do HDs every day - using a base design aimed at HD makes a huge difference
- keep your base on Tatooine - the matchmaking there is much fairer for rebels than on other planets
- try to get some EP points they have events. They give a lot of frags, and eventually you get some useful ones.

Its a slow process, sometimes frustratingly so, but the frags do come and then you do have buffed units. It's a low level at first, but then it improves over time.

If your squad can't help you with HD bases or War wins, try another one, even if only for a short visit. There is a lot of help out there, if you look. There's even more help and advice on LINE than there is here.

"But you must do what you think is right, of course"
HQ 10 - 15K medals - Kenobi's Command - L 50 Squad - Max perks - 3 Squad Wars a week

Stop by for Wars, perks and rep points. We're maxed out.

"You must do what you think is right, of course" (We're the good guys)

AeroSith
Squadron Leader

Post#36 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:45 pm

I am new to the fourm but been playing since last September, I also been lurking here for awhile as well,
First of we are experiencing data frag "inflation" chasing crapy unit frags in hope of getting useful frags for usfull troops. I suggest that Disney increases the amount of frags in the crates, or lowers the amount to 10 to level up that unit for all levels. And make data frags more numerous.

My other beef is the research time to upgrade to the next level is extremely time consuming. I would like to see times reduced down to allow one to upgrade multiple unites, in a 24 hour time frame a two hour time frame max would be perfect for the barrack units, Hero units 1 or two days, armory skins, should be an one hour max for all 1-10 headquarters levels

There would also be there separate researchs going on at the same time, one for heroes, one for skins, one for everything else, i.e reinforcements of buildings, resources, ect.

Leave the time to update all your resources, defenses, and headquarters alone.

If Disney did this, people would still complain about it... :lol: besides players would still spend money to quickly update their base.

Pirate
Major General

Post#37 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:00 pm

BluePhoenix wrote:If you guys know a "beast" of a defensive layout, please suggest.

No base is perfect, and without defensive frags, it's going to be really tough. The first step is Heroic Defense though, a quick and easy way to start raking in frags. Try something like this:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=22431#p72973

You may not get 3 star wins at first but the other crates will lead to defensive equipment. Enabling turret and wall equipment will lead to the 3 star HD wins and the elite frags needed to be effective in PvP offense.
ⒹⒶⓇⓀⓈⒾⒹⒺ
Imperial Squad

Windows Survivor

sgu97cab
Commodore

Post#38 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:23 pm

I think the issue may be rushing bases. Often when people complain their base is getting wiped out too quickly I find that they have shields, turrets and SC lagging behind their HQ, I have chopped and changed my base layout and turret and equipment combos loads of times to get to the point where I am winning more defenses than not.
My secondary account is only about 6 months old and I purposely stopped at level 7 to try and fully research everything. 7 is great as you can do the HD's and easily 3 star plus easily get all the daily objectives very quickly. Objectives give same frag rewards at all levels so no benefit in rushing to level 8 or 9. I don't even partake in conflict with this account much and sometimes go a couple of days without playing yet I already have my turret equipment to at least level 5, and trooper skins, guard reserves, jump troops all to level 4.
I don't even mind the long research times, in a way it add to the strategy of the game trying to decide what will be the most effective units or equipment to upgrade, and prolongs interest in the game. If everyone could build and research quickly then everyone would get to level 10 super quick and get bored with the game.
In Game Name: Bacon
Leader - AUS-Darth_Gump (Empire / Level 50 / W114 D2 L11)

Return to “General Discussions”