Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
DarkRebel
Admiral

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#21 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:22 am

As a casual player:
- It is not easy to win 3 star in HD because your non-armory defense is not strong enough to take on twileks and buffed heavies and keep the damage lower than 30%
- Your base is likely raped over and over again and have no chance of keeping any resources.
- Sure you can 2 star dev bases, but why playing the game like this, as the more you play, the further you will be behind in the armory race ?

DesertPyramid
Commodore

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#22 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:41 am

@pirate - When you said all those HDs could be completed in the time it took to write a post like this one, did you include the time it takes to earn 10 stars to jump planets on each planet, assume crystaling to make the jumps, or assume everyone has squad perks high enough to make planet jumps free?

It makes a difference how the game plays out, doesn’t it?
Squad: Jedi_Falcons L10 Perks: L33
Medals: ~25k Deka/o: 25/17 Jumps: 3d/0f/0h
Game Thought: random number generator looks more like round robin to me.

Plagueis
Grand Admiral

Post#23 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:47 am

If you just started the game or took a long break and came back, you’ll be way behind in the armory race. You’ll probably lose...a lot. Whether that’s from players attacking and rolling over your base or trying to earn resources from other players and crashing against a wall of buffed troops. It’s going to happen.

BUT you can catch up. Ignore all of these people who say you’ll always be behind because:

1. Most players only use a handful of armory equipment, especially on offense. That means you don’t have to level every bit of armory equipment to at least be competetive. If you’re HQ level is too low for the armory, you probably still find easy targets and should be able to gather enough recources in a few consecutive attacks to upgrade your stuff before making the attempt at catching up on the armory front.

2. Objective crates reward armory frags. In many cases you can earn their rewards by building or deploying troops or donating which means you don’t even have to win attacks to earn them.

3. Don’t worry about losing for now. Your medal count will tank, but that will allow you to be matched up with players that you probably can beat which leads on to....

4. Don’t go attack-crazy until either buffed jet or heavy conflicts roll around. Use that low medal count to find better matches then and compete on all worlds that offer theses rewards. You probably won’t UC but will still get a ton of frags towards catching up.

5. Join a good, active squad and do squad wars as much as possible. Armory buffs aren’t used here and winning will reward you with a bunch of armory frags.

6. Change your base layout to a top corner defense with all of your turrets arranged in a “V” facing the bottom. Make sure there are no open spaces in your base above that line of turrets. This will force all attacking HD troops to deploy right in front of all of your turrets and will at least give you a shot at earning better than a 50% win, which will reward armory turret frags. Don’t expect to win any pvp defenses with this layout until you get guard reserve equiment though.

7. Use relocation squad perks to do HDs on all planets whenever you can to “farm” more frags.

Pirate
Major General

Post#24 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:58 am

DesertPyramid wrote:@pirate - When you said all those HDs could be completed in the time it took to write a post like this one, did you include the time it takes to earn 10 stars to jump planets on each planet, assume crystaling to make the jumps, or assume everyone has squad perks high enough to make planet jumps free?

It makes a difference how the game plays out, doesn’t it?

He's in a level 43 squad, he should be able to jump planets with 0 stars.

If he was in a lower level squad, he could join one with relocation perks unlocked.

Every problem has a solution.
ⒹⒶⓇⓀⓈⒾⒹⒺ
Imperial Squad

Windows Survivor

DarkRebel
Admiral

Post#25 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:23 am

Plagueis wrote:If you just started the game or took a long break and came back, you’ll be way behind in the armory race. You’ll probably lose...a lot. Whether that’s from players attacking and rolling over your base or trying to earn resources from other players and crashing against a wall of buffed troops. It’s going to happen.

BUT you can catch up. Ignore all of these people who say you’ll always be behind because:

1. Most players only use a handful of armory equipment, especially on offense. That means you don’t have to level every bit of armory equipment to at least be competetive. If you’re HQ level is too low for the armory, you probably still find easy targets and should be able to gather enough recources in a few consecutive attacks to upgrade your stuff before making the attempt at catching up on the armory front.

2. Objective crates reward armory frags. In many cases you can earn their rewards by building or deploying troops or donating which means you don’t even have to win attacks to earn them.

3. Don’t worry about losing for now. Your medal count will tank, but that will allow you to be matched up with players that you probably can beat which leads on to....

4. Don’t go attack-crazy until either buffed jet or heavy conflicts roll around. Use that low medal count to find better matches then and compete on all worlds that offer theses rewards. You probably won’t UC but will still get a ton of frags towards catching up.

5. Join a good, active squad and do squad wars as much as possible. Armory buffs aren’t used here and winning will reward you with a bunch of armory frags.

6. Change your base layout to a top corner defense with all of your turrets arranged in a “V” facing the bottom. Make sure there are no open spaces in your base above that line of turrets. This will force all attacking HD troops to deploy right in front of all of your turrets and will at least give you a shot at earning better than a 50% win, which will reward armory turret frags. Don’t expect to win any pvp defenses with this layout until you get guard reserve equiment though.

7. Use relocation squad perks to do HDs on all planets whenever you can to “farm” more frags.

Only if he is an active player.

ObiTwo
Commodore

Post#26 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Guys, he's not interested in help, he just wanted to vent. Fair enough.

Many of you provided some helpful information, and some great suggestions. I also sent him a PM offering him a defense layout that can win without the armory buffs, he wasn't interested. So be it.
http://youtube.com/ObiTwo (tips, strategies and layouts for rebels)

Supravu
Squadron Leader

Post#27 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:42 pm

ObiTwo wrote:Guys, he's not interested in help, he just wanted to vent. Fair enough.

Many of you provided some helpful information, and some great suggestions. I also sent him a PM offering him a defense layout that can win without the armory buffs, he wasn't interested. So be it.

I am not sure why he is venting. A level nine that maybe attack once or twice a day is not really a casual player. Why should level nine or ten be easy?

Plagueis
Grand Admiral

Post#28 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:59 pm

DarkRebel wrote:
Plagueis wrote:If you just started the game or took a long break and came back, you’ll be way behind in the armory race. You’ll probably lose...a lot. Whether that’s from players attacking and rolling over your base or trying to earn resources from other players and crashing against a wall of buffed troops. It’s going to happen.

No, I don’t think anyone who rarely plays the game would catch up now or since the game was launched.

Tamarack
Captain

Post#29 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:30 pm

BluePhoenix wrote:Please forgive this long post but I am venting from frustration and am walking away from the game (at least for a time - maybe permanently)

Lack of balance of this game, or maybe more accurately poor PVP matchmaking is driving me, a level 9 Rebel veteran of couple of years, away from the game.

While I have spent a small amount of money on this game, I must admit I am a casual player. I dont grind out events like some do nor do I frequently attack PVP. I do that only occasionally and for fun. I collect resources just by time and I log in to assist my squad during squad wars on the weekend. I used to log in once in the morning to collect resources acquired overnight and once before bed to get resources throughout the day and maybe once or twice throughout the day to donate troops to my squad, collect resources and maybe play a match or two. I also participated in squad wars. Basically, be a good teamate and contribute positively to the game.

Since I have leveled up to level 9, I find that I am no longer being attacked by other casual players with maybe one or two upgraded gold items where each of these gold items (like upgraded jump troopers) may have been only upgraded only once. I am now being attacked by people either with a full deck of upgraded gold items and/or those items that are upgraded are upgraded so high that none of my turrets, regardless of the type even scratch them. Its a complete wipe of my base with little resistance. At one point, I was attacked by a level 30 droid with incredibly high level upgraded gold items. This player and this type of player is not a casual player like myself. This is not just something that has been happening for a few days. This is something that has been going on for a while. It makes it absolutely impossible to keep gathering resources to try to upgrade stuff. I am losing more resources then gaining, even with the "protection windows".

When I go to attack now, because I don't have many gold items to attack with, I rarely get wins or enough resources to even cover costs. So I am not making resources this way. When I try to be patient and acquire resources through time, I am getting wiped regularly so I cant acquire resources this way either. I am stuck. I can not upgrade, I am purging more resources then I can gather, nor is it fun being "beasted" by people with so much higher level gear then me.

These types of attacks from these high level players who either spend a lot of money on the game or a lot of time on the game are the typical attackers now. Almost every single time I log in (if its after the protection period ends) my base is 100% wiped and the enemy barely lost any troops. Clean sweep. Little to no resistance. My base defense is actually a very effective base defense. I know this because my base is almost always the last base left with at least one star in squad wars where upgraded items are not allowed. Even though I do not have level 9 turrets yet, I am attacked by level 9's and 10's in squad war and usually at least one star remains when usually everyone else in my squad (level 10s included) base is destroyed. I also know my base is good because before this matchmaking madness, my base would get attacked by people with similar upgraded items as me and my base would regularly get wins. Its really only after I recently leveled up to level 9 am I getting attacked by level 10s and people with an insane amount of upgraded items.

There is absolutely no level 9 base that can withstand level 30 droids with fully upgraded jumps (or insert another insanely high upgraded item) rolling through a base. It doesn't matter the layout. It doesnt matter the level. One will get wiped.

I propose that Disney decrease the amount of times something can be upgraded to keep the game more balanced. As of now, with the amount of times something can be upgraded it makes it impossible to defend against (or even attack against if upgrades spent soley on defense). I essentially feel this game is pay to win at this moment.

If this will tick to many people off because people have spent a lot of money buying upgraded units or spend tons of time grinding to get them then I propose better matchmaking. If someone has really high upgraded offensive stuff, they should not, under any circumstances be paired with players who do not have the defensive upgrades needed to at least be close, be a challenge. Matchmaker should never let it be a steamroll. This is not the case now. This game is absolutely terrible for the casual player like me who has endured and moved up the ranks. I suspect most people at these levels (9 and 10) are the enthusiasts who "grind hard" and "pay hard" as most casual players probably quit playing the game at much lower levels.

I cruised this forum. It seems I am not alone both in my concern and frustration, nor am I alone in Walking away from the game. Disney, please fix this, otherwise I will not return to the game, nor will I spend more money on it.

EDIT:

Mods, please delete post number 2. For some reason when I tried to edit the original post in this thread post #2 just quoted it. Perhaps I hit the wrong button. I dont see an option to delete.

Moderator Response: Additonal Posts were deleted. When you hover in the upper right corner of a Post (same line as where Post # / Date is) you will see "buttons". Click on the Button which states "Edit". To Delete a Post click on the Red X.

I will be honest here. I'm a lvl 10 Imp who has only bought 1 crate, ever. It didin't even help me. ;/ I grind and play pretty regularly. According to my wife, too much. ;)

I upgraded quickly from 6-->8 and learned my lesson. Lots of grinding in order to cobble together enough resources to upgrade. It was a dark time but I got through it. So I'm one of those hardcore players.

That being said. Chin up and keep playing. If you have a good squad you should be able to survive and get stuff in squad wars to help you out! :>

Tam.
Leader of Dark-Plague
We are recruiting! Send me a message to get in!

DarkRebel
Admiral

Post#30 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Plagueis wrote:
DarkRebel wrote:

No, I don’t think anyone who rarely plays the game would catch up now or since the game was launched.

You don’t get it.

Before the armory, you were typically matched with opponents at similar strength, as game takes base rating and medal into account. Of course there were sandbaggers, or the attacking down, but for the most part, you can attack and can find bases you can beat, at your level, fair and square.

YOU COULD STILL ENJOY THE GAME AT WHATEVER THE LEVEL YOU WERE AT. YOU DID NOT HAVE TO CATCH UP. YOU HAD A CHOICE.

Armory added significant strength to both offense and defense without increasing base rating.

Today game, you have no choice but to grind for frags. Game doesn’t care whether you don’t have elite skins, or have unit at lower skin level. You have to be active, and grind and grind to get frags. If you don’t, you lose.

This topic is not about being active and catching up. It is more about how a casual player can still play the game.

Return to “General Discussions”