Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
RebelsHope
Squadron Leader
Posts: 16

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#11 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:01 pm

As a level 9 rebel, I can relate, but I DO have buffs, and let me tell you, I still struggle against buffed jumps, AT-ACT, high level RFT buffs. I have all the guard reserves at level 2, level 4 buffs for all turrets, top of the line squad units and a good player with even just buffed jets mixed with unbuffed units can still be a threat. That's the game though.. I just try to adapt by trying new base layouts, turret combinations, and squad units. For example, my response to buffed jumps was to change some of my RFTs into Bursts because rebel RFTs aren't as strong as they are for Imps. It says they're equally strong, but they're not. I found that by doing a bit of research. Since then, I do much better against buffed jumps.

Also, turret buffs are only advanced frags and are easier to obtain. I think that the more you put into the game (time, energy and money, unfortunately) the more you get out of it. You'll get there though, it just takes time. You might lose a lot on the way, but it will only help you in the long run if you learn from it!


ForceMel
Commodore
Posts: 168

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#12 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:33 pm

Not to be negative or anything, but looking over your base and medals, I wouldn't really call you a casual player. It looks like you are someone who barely plays, an hopes to be able to build your base the way the more active players do.

This game, nor any other similar game works like that.

You have to actually play in order to progress. When there are conditions that create negative progress like active pvp, you have to play enough to compensate for that, and it appears you don't.

If you've been "playing" for a few years, and have gotten to level 9, but only have 1600 medals, then you aren't playing much at all.

I admit I am a heavy player. I had a full level 10 base with over 144k medals in the Windows platform. On the android servers, I've got a low level 10 base, and 78k medals since June of 2017.

I expect I play two to three hours a night.

TBH, you aren't the player Disney is targeting for this game because you don't play enough. Unfortunately for me, I am who they target.

If you really want to build your base, and get some of the buffed troops that will help you in this game, then my advice is to play during the conflicts maybe an hour a day. Try to get more loot than is taken from you, and target the upgrades you need accordingly.

It will take time, but it's supposed to take time. If it was quick and easy, this game would have died 3 years ago.
Leader of perennially top 15 squad IIReBeLsII and number 12 player of the now defunct Windows servers. Current leader of Rebelsyiir.


User avatar
ObiTwo
Major General
Posts: 253

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#13 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Many similar games only pair you with similarly upgraded players, SWC, for whatever reason, does not, the match making is much more dynamic (read as broken if you wish). Especially as you near the max levels. Level 8 and 9 become treacherous, the best you can do is create the strongest defence you can, take advantage of protection to do hero def, daily objectives and do wars for the win crates.

I've sent you some info on a defence layout that may assist you to do the above.
http://www.YouTube.com/ObiTwo (tips, strategies and layouts for rebels)


BluePhoenix
Squadron Leader
Posts: 17

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#14 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:46 pm

DarkRebel wrote:I admit I didn't read the entire long post, only read half way, but I do understand the issue.

The main issue is that the introduction of the armory created a big gap between casual players (no or low level armory equipment) and active players (high level armory equipments) that are not taken into account for match making.

Casual players are squeezed out because they are matched with players with high level armory equipments.

This is a VALID problem.

I raised this issue before about not taking armory level into match making, but fixing this is not simple.

One quick way to deal with it is to introduce a planet with no armory equipment, like Sullust.


This guy gets it. Too much disparity between armory levels and what matchmaker pairs a player against. Great idea about the no armory equipment planet Dark Rebel.

Everyone else that is offering constructive criticism, not insulting the fact that I made the thread to voice my frustration, thank you.


User avatar
DesertPyramid
Major General
Posts: 379

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#15 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:19 pm

Some players forget the game has had waves of new stuff, followed by adjustments. When Dekas first came out, the amount of contraband to move up levels was rediculously low, and a bug in the time to upgrade allowed some players that had the trade port and a large enough safehouse to jump up about 8-20 levels in a weekend. If you didn’t have those, you didn’t have a chance because the bug was fixed before the trade ports and safehouse construction completed. Still, those that made it through the upgrades got to keep them in full. Kind of like crossing a river while it was frozen, but everyone after it thawed is having a hard time... and the ones who made it don’t know why it was so hard for the next guys.

It seems like this is still happening every time they release something new... whether it is the armory, the fang fighter, or new special units. The only way you can really experience it is to start a new base and work through the game again. Even then, the second time through is much easier because you know to hook up with a good squad to get good donations. My first time through, I made L8 without a squad because the interface then seemed buggy and I chose the storyline path first, rather than both at the same time.

Maybe one day it will all be equally easy for everyone to cross the river... but somehow I think the underworld would have to freeze over.
Rebel Squad: Jedi_Falcons L10 Perks: L36
Medals: ~41k Deka/o: 25/17 Jumps: 4d/3f/3a


boshuda21
Captain
Posts: 98

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#16 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:42 pm

ForceMel wrote:
TBH, you aren't the player Disney is targeting for this game because you don't play enough. Unfortunately for me, I am who they target.
.



I disagree. Disney wants players that will put money into the game and those tend to be the ones that cannot play 2-3 hours a night. Though I do know some players that make purchases here and there to continue to grind at a crazy rate.

I've been playing for about 2-2.5 years now and haven't put one dollar into the game. However, the hours of play I invested (in hindsight) would have been better served me getting paid for those hours and buying my way up the levels.


TSQL
Commodore
Posts: 103

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#17 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:54 pm

boshuda21 wrote:
ForceMel wrote:
TBH, you aren't the player Disney is targeting for this game because you don't play enough. Unfortunately for me, I am who they target.
.



I disagree. Disney wants players that will put money into the game and those tend to be the ones that cannot play 2-3 hours a night. Though I do know some players that make purchases here and there to continue to grind at a crazy rate.

I've been playing for about 2-2.5 years now and haven't put one dollar into the game. However, the hours of play I invested (in hindsight) would have been better served me getting paid for those hours and buying my way up the levels.


agreed . took me 4 rounds of building bases up to figure that my time is better spent by spending some money on the game..
Officer in JediTempleBlue
Windows Refugee


User avatar
DarthTrumpf
Squadron Leader
Posts: 19

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#18 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:39 pm

"The main issue is that the introduction of the armory created a big gap between casual players (no or low level armory equipment) and active players (high level armory equipments) that are not taken into account for match making." - Totally agree with this.

@Boshuda21. Excellent reply, I learned many lessons from this post, Thanks. I'm in the same ship as the OP, I dont play often enough to make upgrades happen, and frankly I am tired of getting rolled by skinned jumps every 12 hours, so I have given up on playing. I bake only troops for my squad donations, and that is it. One player in my squad just went from a full level 8 (which he loved as a very active player) to a baby 9 and has basically quit the game, because matchmaking now has him continuously rolled by big players with every thing maxed out and maxed skinned. This is bad way for Disney to keep players. One of the newest members of our squad just hit L6, and has already said he doesnt plan to move past 7, or L8, because of the things people complain about here and on our line and squad chats. Me, I am riding it out for a bit to see if DI will self-correct some of these imbalances, but if its still the state of the game by end of March or so, I am retiring. Every game has its lifespan, and I really feel like SWC is past its prime. They just gave us a droid to slowly blow up building as new character. Really? Good, I can put him next to my Boba Fett and Emperor. Oh wait...
My favorite character from the original movies is Johhar Kessen!


User avatar
mkenobi
Admiral
Posts: 786

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#19 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:44 am

Poene wrote:How many medals do you have? Dropping medals should give you less skilled opponents.

What planet are you on? Tatooine should be the safest planet for rebels.

At lvl 9 you cannot - as a casual player - upgrade any buildings by sheer resource collecting and doing a few pvp attacks. As your vaults become more filled you will be a more attractive target and you will lose more resources. Forget about quietly hoarding enough alloy to upgrade a lvl 8 turret to lvl 9.

The only way to upgrade is by squad war victory crates. That's what's paying all my upgrades at lvl 9-10.

All good points.

If you were an Imperial player, you could attack Dev bases -- developer bases with no Armory items for defense and no SC troops, what could make you keep playing and winning gear in conflicts, despite they have low loot, but you could try loot on real players with a large amount of resources to pay your upgrades, even losing attacks.

As Rebel, and casual player with no Armory items to attack, and not so many Imperial Dev bases to get gears for conflicts, it's really hard to have progress in the game now.

To play SWC you don't need only to be a SW fan, but you need to play the game on a daily basis to keep having progress. You need to play conflicts and squad wars, win Heroic Defenses, and do Daily Objectives to get frags for Elite troops/Armory equipments, and now play Events to get more and more frags.

Forget about win defenses against hordes of buffed Jumps. Forget about win any defense in PvP. Drop all your medals to 1 medal and see if you start to get more fair matchmakings in PvP. SWC has became only about Jets/Jumps, and frags for Elites and Armory now. The time for casual players is no more. Now casual players often gets nowhere.

If you really like the game, start a new base and when you reach HQ 6 and buy the Armory, stay at level 6 untill you have upgraded all your buildings and troops, and do as many HDs, Daily Objectives and win as many squad wars/conflicts as possible to have all Elites unlocked and the most important Armory items unlocked/upgrade for attack and defense. Use your old level 9 base to donate high troops for your squadmates and for your new base to help to win attacks and defenses.

That was what I did when I played on Windows, and that's what I'm doing now with 3 Rebel accounts on Androids (1 level 9, 1 level 8, 1 level 7).
A Windows survivor now training players and helping squads through the Galaxy!

Imperial HQ10 in "BombSquad18" (Level 49 squad)
Rebel HQ10 / HQ8 in "Ewok_revenge" (Level 50 squad)


User avatar
Pirate
Major General
Posts: 489

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#20 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:58 am

BluePhoenix wrote:I suspect most people at these levels (9 and 10) are the enthusiasts who "grind hard" and "pay hard" as most casual players probably quit playing the game at much lower levels.


It's pretty clear you can't compete because you don't have armory equipment that is essential now. Blaming matchmaking is not the answer. Casual players can definitely compete at high levels, it just takes smart allocation of time. In the time it took you to write this post, you could have done 6 Heroic Defenses for 12 elite frags. You are going to need offensive equipment to take resources in PvP. You don't need lvl10 jump skins though, lvl1 will serve the purpose for you. lvl1 is only 20 frags.

When it comes to PvP attacks, only hit high value targets. At HQ9, you should be looking for 500k credit or alloy bases. Don't waste your time on dev bases or poor bases. There is no sense in trying to defend your resources, especially without defensive equipment. Just take what you need, spend it, and then log off.

There is a very small population of players that is going to max out elite armory equipment or max out dekas, etc. You have to understand the limitations of what you can achieve based on the time that you put in. You're expecting to take two practice shots and then be Lebron James, that's just not how it works.

DarthTrumpf wrote:...because matchmaking now has him continuously rolled by big players with every thing maxed out and maxed skinned.


How do you know they are max skins? Lvl10 jump with lvl1 skin looks the same as Lvl10 jump with lvl10 skin in the defense log.
ⒹⒶⓇⓀⓈⒾⒹⒺ
Imperial Squad

Windows Survivor


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bug80, CommonCrawl [Bot], DotNetDotCom.org [Bot], RockRobot80, Yandex [Bot] and 32 guests