Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
BluePhoenix
Squadron Leader

Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:26 am

Please forgive this long post but I am venting from frustration and am walking away from the game (at least for a time - maybe permanently)

Lack of balance of this game, or maybe more accurately poor PVP matchmaking is driving me, a level 9 Rebel veteran of couple of years, away from the game.

While I have spent a small amount of money on this game, I must admit I am a casual player. I dont grind out events like some do nor do I frequently attack PVP. I do that only occasionally and for fun. I collect resources just by time and I log in to assist my squad during squad wars on the weekend. I used to log in once in the morning to collect resources acquired overnight and once before bed to get resources throughout the day and maybe once or twice throughout the day to donate troops to my squad, collect resources and maybe play a match or two. I also participated in squad wars. Basically, be a good teamate and contribute positively to the game.

Since I have leveled up to level 9, I find that I am no longer being attacked by other casual players with maybe one or two upgraded gold items where each of these gold items (like upgraded jump troopers) may have been only upgraded only once. I am now being attacked by people either with a full deck of upgraded gold items and/or those items that are upgraded are upgraded so high that none of my turrets, regardless of the type even scratch them. Its a complete wipe of my base with little resistance. At one point, I was attacked by a level 30 droid with incredibly high level upgraded gold items. This player and this type of player is not a casual player like myself. This is not just something that has been happening for a few days. This is something that has been going on for a while. It makes it absolutely impossible to keep gathering resources to try to upgrade stuff. I am losing more resources then gaining, even with the "protection windows".

When I go to attack now, because I don't have many gold items to attack with, I rarely get wins or enough resources to even cover costs. So I am not making resources this way. When I try to be patient and acquire resources through time, I am getting wiped regularly so I cant acquire resources this way either. I am stuck. I can not upgrade, I am purging more resources then I can gather, nor is it fun being "beasted" by people with so much higher level gear then me.

These types of attacks from these high level players who either spend a lot of money on the game or a lot of time on the game are the typical attackers now. Almost every single time I log in (if its after the protection period ends) my base is 100% wiped and the enemy barely lost any troops. Clean sweep. Little to no resistance. My base defense is actually a very effective base defense. I know this because my base is almost always the last base left with at least one star in squad wars where upgraded items are not allowed. Even though I do not have level 9 turrets yet, I am attacked by level 9's and 10's in squad war and usually at least one star remains when usually everyone else in my squad (level 10s included) base is destroyed. I also know my base is good because before this matchmaking madness, my base would get attacked by people with similar upgraded items as me and my base would regularly get wins. Its really only after I recently leveled up to level 9 am I getting attacked by level 10s and people with an insane amount of upgraded items.

There is absolutely no level 9 base that can withstand level 30 droids with fully upgraded jumps (or insert another insanely high upgraded item) rolling through a base. It doesn't matter the layout. It doesnt matter the level. One will get wiped.

I propose that Disney decrease the amount of times something can be upgraded to keep the game more balanced. As of now, with the amount of times something can be upgraded it makes it impossible to defend against (or even attack against if upgrades spent soley on defense). I essentially feel this game is pay to win at this moment.

If this will tick to many people off because people have spent a lot of money buying upgraded units or spend tons of time grinding to get them then I propose better matchmaking. If someone has really high upgraded offensive stuff, they should not, under any circumstances be paired with players who do not have the defensive upgrades needed to at least be close, be a challenge. Matchmaker should never let it be a steamroll. This is not the case now. This game is absolutely terrible for the casual player like me who has endured and moved up the ranks. I suspect most people at these levels (9 and 10) are the enthusiasts who "grind hard" and "pay hard" as most casual players probably quit playing the game at much lower levels.

I cruised this forum. It seems I am not alone both in my concern and frustration, nor am I alone in Walking away from the game. Disney, please fix this, otherwise I will not return to the game, nor will I spend more money on it.

EDIT:

Mods, please delete post number 2. For some reason when I tried to edit the original post in this thread post #2 just quoted it. Perhaps I hit the wrong button. I dont see an option to delete.

Moderator Response: Additonal Posts were deleted. When you hover in the upper right corner of a Post (same line as where Post # / Date is) you will see "buttons". Click on the Button which states "Edit". To Delete a Post click on the Red X.
Last edited by DeathStriker on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Combined Back-to-Back Posts - Added "Edit"

Midge
Admiral

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:50 am

Are you in ForgottenHeroes?

Anyways ... the game DOES limit the amount of upgrades. Feel free to keep acting like people who pay money are bad guys though, if it makes you feel better.

The most you can get wiped in a two day period is three times if you ride your protection out. It is part of the game. You need to get armory upgrades. You need to probably have a better defense grid and you need to probably have higher level troops donated by squadmates.

My GUESS is that if you are in a casual squad, but you're willing to come on here and post, you are probably ready for a better squad that can better equip you.

Let me assure you, the Level 30 Dekas you get high by are not what are really wiping you. If you don't have EVERY SINGLE THING at level 8, then you should not have moved to level 9 yet. If you do, then you can design a base that will get you an occasional defense.

Level 8 is one of the toughest spots in the game, IMO, but it is more than manageable without acting like you are a better human than those who grind or pay money.
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed

BluePhoenix
Squadron Leader

Re: Lack of balance and unbalanced matchmaking in SWC - A vet walking away from the game

Post#3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:56 am

Midge wrote:Are you in ForgottenHeroes?

Anyways ... the game DOES limit the amount of upgrades. Feel free to keep acting like people who pay money are bad guys though, if it makes you feel better.

The most you can get wiped in a two day period is three times if you ride your protection out. It is part of the game. You need to get armory upgrades. You need to probably have a better defense grid and you need to probably have higher level troops donated by squadmates.

My GUESS is that if you are in a casual squad, but you're willing to come on here and post, you are probably ready for a better squad that can better equip you.

Let me assure you, the Level 30 Dekas you get high by are not what are really wiping you. If you don't have EVERY SINGLE THING at level 8, then you should not have moved to level 9 yet. If you do, then you can design a base that will get you an occasional defense.

Level 8 is one of the toughest spots in the game, IMO, but it is more than manageable without acting like you are a better human than those who grind or pay money.

Yes, I am with Forgotten Heroes. My squad is great. They are not the problem. I regularly request, get troops and donate. It doesn't matter the troops that are donated. It wouldnt matter if all troops donated are level 10, it would still be a clean sweep simply because matchmaking allows the attacking units to be that OP comparative to base defenses. This should not happen fairly consistently in any game with a good matchmaking system.

Lol, yes, people who pay money or grind the game are "bad guys" :roll: I specifically stated that in my post. Nothing about a more balanced matchmaker or anything about that.

Yes, "EVERY SINGLE THING" was upgraded to level 8 (all troops, all buildings, all turrets - every single thing) before I upgraded my HQ to level 9. Its not an upgrade issue. Its not a squad issue. Its not a base layout issue. Its a matchmaker problem. There is absolutely no way a new level 9 can defend against a fully upgraded level 10 with a bunch of high level gold items, and high level droids.
Last edited by BluePhoenix on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Poene
Commodore

Post#4 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:08 am

How many medals do you have? Dropping medals should give you less skilled opponents.

What planet are you on? Tatooine should be the safest planet for rebels.

At lvl 9 you cannot - as a casual player - upgrade any buildings by sheer resource collecting and doing a few pvp attacks. As your vaults become more filled you will be a more attractive target and you will lose more resources. Forget about quietly hoarding enough alloy to upgrade a lvl 8 turret to lvl 9.

The only way to upgrade is by squad war victory crates. That's what's paying all my upgrades at lvl 9-10.

BluePhoenix
Squadron Leader

Post#5 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:12 am

Poene wrote:How many medals do you have? Dropping medals should give you less skilled opponents.

At lvl 9 you cannot - as a casual player - upgrade any buildings by sheer resource collecting and doing a few pvp attacks. As your vaults become more filled you will be a more attractive target and you will lose more resources. Forget about quietly hoarding enough alloy to upgrade a lvl 8 turret to lvl 9.

The only way to upgrade is by squad war victory crates. That's what's paying all my upgrades at lvl 9-10.

Thanks for this reply Poene. I am just struggling with attacking as well simply because I have so few gold items to attack with. It seems most level 9s and 10s have upgraded defenses (turrets, barracks, vehicles etc.). The only offensive gold items I have are upgraded regular troops (upgraded just once) and upgraded A wings (upgraded just once). Its hard for me to win attacks with so few gold items so I feel I am stuck. Cant gather enough resources defending. Cant gather enough resources attacking. Cant upgrade without resources.

Crankyface
Commander

Post#6 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:38 am

BluePhoenix wrote:
Poene wrote:How many medals do you have? Dropping medals should give you less skilled opponents.

Thanks for this reply Poene. I am just struggling with attacking as well simply because I have so few gold items to attack with. It seems most level 9s and 10s have upgraded defenses (turrets, barracks, vehicles etc.). The only offensive gold items I have are upgraded regular troops (upgraded just once) and upgraded A wings (upgraded just once). Its hard for me to win attacks with so few gold items so I feel I am stuck. Cant gather enough resources defending. Cant gather enough resources attacking. Cant upgrade without resources.

Hey Blue, Looking at your squad it looks like you have a squad level for planet relocation perks, if you're only logging in casually, you should at least try to do the HD loops each day while you have the perks on. Every bit helps in getting those skins unlocked and eventually will help get you the resources you need to upgrade. This game is not kind to casual players but there are ways it will take you a lot longer but there are ways.
Leader of KARNAGE - Part of the Kenobi-Academy Family

boshuda21
Captain

Post#7 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:38 am

Poene wrote:At lvl 9 you cannot - as a casual player - upgrade any buildings by sheer resource collecting and doing a few pvp attacks. As your vaults become more filled you will be a more attractive target and you will lose more resources. Forget about quietly hoarding enough alloy to upgrade a lvl 8 turret to lvl 9.

Yup this is what I experienced. Most bases I match up with have less than 100k in resources each. That's a lot of fighting to get 3mil.for aturret upgrade. At level 8 I was upgrading like crazy and limited only by droids. At lv 9 I gt very discourage, but I upgraded slowly.

That being said, as a casual player myself (on hiatus now), here are some tips I found worked for getting those lv 9 upgrades. CAveat is you need to be able to win battles though.

1. Upgrade those credit markets and refineries and trade ports. In lv 9 your markets and refineries earn about 40k each per day. I can usually bank up to 60k cb just from collecting my trade port generation (I get about 12k per day). after 60k I usually lose as much as I collect in a day.

2. Your TIE traps suck alloy at lv 9. Only upgrade and reset IDTs. If you're losing battles anyways, I would not reset anything. That is up to ~100k you save.

3. Save up your HD crates in your HQ and open them when you're close to an upgrade.

4. Focus on objective crates. You get a mil from the EP objective money crate which is totally obtainable. You get about 200k per planet for regular objective crates. Double crate days are even more.

5. planet hop to get all the crates. Go to a featured lv 50 squad, join and buy orbital reckoning + hidden trade route. Then leave the squad. You'll be free to hop planets for free for 12 hrs. Do this after HD starts in the evening and you can get up to 12 HD crates with one Perk cycle. On 4 hr HD rotations you can imaging how many HD crates you can get in a 12 hr period.

6. If you haven't completed the story levels on Tat yet, don't finish them all. Keep one level open so you can dump troops that you don't want. It's a good way for the casual player to collect building objective crates when under protection.

7. Don't worry about credits that much in lv 9. I found that credits were easier to get than alloy and that credit based upgrades tended to take care of themselves.

8. As a casual player you need to time it when you play. Save your play time and binge when you have a lot of droids.

9. Purchase upgrades for traps and cancel them before finished. You get only half the money back but its better than losing it all to looters. e.g. a lv 9 upgrade trap costs 900k and takes about 6 days. That's 450k per trap that you can protect for those 6 days. It's hard a first but when you figure out the timing you can use it now and then.

10. If you do conflicts, play in the first day. I tended to get more real bases with loot at the start of a conflict than the end.

11. Ignore wall upgrades to lv 9 unless you have nothing else to spend 1mil on.

Hope this helps.

TSQL
Commodore

Post#8 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:53 am

Your best bet is HD farming. all the relevant frags are available from a 3 star win. (Jets, Rebs, and GR).

Set up an HD base and collect 12 wins day. You can complete both laps in a 2 hour period. and thats only 30 mins per lap in actual game play.

And like others said, do your building upgrades from war crates.

I wouldn't even bother with PVP until your strong enough.
Officer in JediTempleBlue
Windows Refugee

Midge
Admiral

Post#9 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:26 pm

BluePhoenix wrote:
Midge wrote:Are you in ForgottenHeroes?

Yes, I am with Forgotten Heroes. My squad is great. They are not the problem. I regularly request, get troops and donate. It doesn't matter the troops that are donated. It wouldnt matter if all troops donated are level 10, it would still be a clean sweep simply because matchmaking allows the attacking units to be that OP comparative to base defenses. This should not happen fairly consistently in any game with a good matchmaking system.

Lol, yes, people who pay money or grind the game are "bad guys" :roll: I specifically stated that in my post. Nothing about a more balanced matchmaker or anything about that.

Yes, "EVERY SINGLE THING" was upgraded to level 8 (all troops, all buildings, all turrets - every single thing) before I upgraded my HQ to level 9. Its not an upgrade issue. Its not a squad issue. Its not a base layout issue. Its a matchmaker problem. There is absolutely no way a new level 9 can defend against a fully upgraded level 10 with a bunch of high level gold items, and high level droids.

I appreciate the guys here trying to offer you help, but you didn't come in here asking for help. You came in here saying it is impossible. And it isn't.

"It's not an upgrade issue. It's not a squad issue. It's not a base layout issue. Its a matchmaker problem. There is absolutely no way a new level 9 can defend against a fully upgraded level 10 with a bunch of high-level gold items, and high level droids."

This is simply NOT TRUE. There have been plenty of Level 9s getting defenses against strong attackers. Happens ALL the time. Hell, I have a guy in one of my squads who posts them regularly.

So, cool story, bro. You didn't come on looking for help, you came on making statements that simply are not true.

Why don't you give us one of your defense logs against all these monsters? Because I assure you that you are not REGULARLY getting wiped with people with FULL upgrades. Might feel like it to you, but there are not that many of them in the game.

You could make a post asking for help and ways to defend better, etc. Or you can say it is impossible and cry about it. Can't imagine playing a game that was impossible. Glad it wasn't for me or my squadmates.
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed

DarkRebel
Admiral

Post#10 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:50 pm

I admit I didn't read the entire long post, only read half way, but I do understand the issue.

The main issue is that the introduction of the armory created a big gap between casual players (no or low level armory equipment) and active players (high level armory equipments) that are not taken into account for match making.

Casual players are squeezed out because they are matched with players with high level armory equipments.

This is a VALID problem.

I raised this issue before about not taking armory level into match making, but fixing this is not simple.

One quick way to deal with it is to introduce a planet with no armory equipment, like Sullust.

Return to “General Discussions”