StarFighter Pilot Units! are they worth it?

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.

Poll: Random Daily Question! Who Would Win?

X-Wing: all around X-ellent fighter (see what i did there? eh?) which can do pretty much anything, be a normal fighter, do some bombing, and chase enemies,
94%
Z-95 Headhunter: Literally straight downgrade to the X-Wing in every single way
6%
Total votes: 16

CommandoScott
Officer

StarFighter Pilot Units! are they worth it?

Post#1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:25 am

This week's conflict gives us the ability to get the Starfighter pilots again!

But that got me thinking like with many other conflict unlocks: Are they really worth it?....
In this post i will explain few things: is it worth getting Starfighter pilots? should you unlock conflict units? is it worth the stress and trying to get to the top 2% in a week?

First up: The StarFighter Pilots

They are basically a more powerfull and specialized version of infantry looters (rebel pathfinders and scout troopers)
with the ability to call down their respective faction's Starships to deal damage on the enemy base,
Both Starfighter pilot types take 3 space, while rebel pathfinders take 2 and scout troopers take 1, are they worth using then? this depends on few things, 1: do you wanna just get some credits and alloy from the enemy base, not really caring about destroying it 2: do you wanna use both looters and bruisers to destroy the enemy defences AND get the loot?
3: since when you unlock the pilot units they are olny level 1, and propably your looter units are already level 4 or 5 or even above, arent pilots worse then?

1: for just looting the enemy base, not really destroying anything else, normal looter units are MUCH better for that job, they take less space and still deal good amounts of damage to resource buildings without the strafing units, so 1-0 for normal looters

2: for both looting AND destorying the enemy base, starfighter pilots are the way to go, the strafing runs can be usefull because dont olny target the resource buildings, and also attack other buildings, so 1-1 for the pilots

3: now for this i had to look on the unofficial SW:Commander wiki, and as it turns out, starfighter pilots deal around 50% less damage than stardard looters, but have twice as much health, this can be usefull is enemy has some mortals to protect the resource buildings before your bruisers can reach them first, so its just a matter of the enemy's base design and your attack strategy, a tie for 2-2

Well. Starfighter pilots have more health but deal less damage without the strafing runs, i couldnt really find any data about how much damage the strafe runs do, so i guess i will have to find out if i manage to unlock the starfighter pilot (hopefully i wont end up with 2.1%...)
So which is better?
Its basically a matter of opinion... the extra health can be helpfull but less damage can be crippling, also scout troopers olny take 1 space while imperial pilots take 3, which means you can spam the scout troopers more, but with rebel pathfinders its much less noticable space diffrence

Honestly i think you should decide, i mean i think any unit can be used very effectivly depending on your strategy.
I'd like to hear your opinion too! are the starfighter pilots better or worse than normal looters
Death To MicroTransactions

#NOTHEBATTLEFRONT2IWANTED
#DEATHTOEA

Boog
Admiral

Re: StarFighter Pilot Units! are they worth it?

Post#2 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:42 am

I'm not reading all that, but, long story short I have the sky pilot at level 8, and I use one in pretty much every attack. It drops level 9 tie fighters (I only have mine at level 6, lol). In a good run, you'll drop 3 or 4, hopefully on turrets. I had an attack yesterday where the pilot got stuck shooting walls, and it dropped 7 fighters, four on turrets. I'll take that all day long. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to drop the fighters on turrets instead of on loot buildings.

It's pretty kickass in wars with yavin. The fighters take out any structure they hit.

LosVega
Major General

Post#3 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:37 am

Boog wrote:I'm not reading all that, but, long story short I have the sky pilot at level 8, and I use one in pretty much every attack. It drops level 9 tie fighters (I only have mine at level 6, lol). In a good run, you'll drop 3 or 4, hopefully on turrets. I had an attack yesterday where the pilot got stuck shooting walls, and it dropped 7 fighters, four on turrets. I'll take that all day long. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to drop the fighters on turrets instead of on loot buildings.

It's pretty kickass in wars with yavin. The fighters take out any structure they hit.

Agreed. Pilots get the vote from me just because of how useful they are in squad wars with Yavin outpost. Until I get them to a higher level, not so much in pvp because they die too easily.
BATTALION FAMILY
WOLF, DRAGON, REDBAK, FALCON, GATOR
Duza's Elite - Empire
Looking for a great squad? Come by for a visit, make new friends and maul
some ass

Xinix
Major General

Post#4 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:39 am

They can trigger the SC from afar ... extremely valuable. Nobody cares about looters: your jets/jumps get the loot.

Besides, UCL on Tat doesn't take a lot of effort ... so why not.

VileDoom
Major General

Post#5 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:48 am

Anything that drops free air, something that normally requires the longest build times in the game, is absolutely worth it.
BioHazard - SHADOWBENDER

Euph
Admiral

Post#6 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:41 pm

Early on I was a bit skeptical but I've become a big fan of the pilots. At high level the TIEs they drop do a lot of free damage.

The quick build time is nice too.
Sith-Society
Mature HQ10. Immature meat-bag.
The wall bug giveth, and the wall bug taketh away

veezer
Storm Trooper

Post#7 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:52 pm

Just be aware that at level 5 (and only level 5) their first preference turns into turrets (while the invisible twin still goes for nearest resource) which can lead to some weird behavior. Must be a bug when they coded the manifest (see https://papajessie.github.io/swcpy/XWingPilot.html ). This really confused me when I first upgraded to this level because it makes them really useless.

Return to “General Discussions”