Player demographics-- thoughts?

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
ImperialJarhead
Cadet Trooper

Player demographics-- thoughts?

Post#1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:28 pm

I came across the old one-year anniversary infographic recently, and the geographic distribution of Rebel and Empire players intrigued me:

The fact that so many Imperial players come from Europe, North America, and East Asia while the Rebels are concentrated in Africa, South America, and the Middle East probably means something.

So I was wondering: Why do you guys personally choose the side you do, and/or why do you think the distribution is what it is? (Also, if you feel comfortable, what region are you from?)

DarthBratzzznew
Admiral

Re: Player demographics-- thoughts?

Post#2 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:41 am

This infographic is from 2 years ago I think.

As to why: probably the Imps are the ones from settled countries, less prone to start up rebellions?
Proud Officer of the CircleOf Family of squads. Many experienced and motivated longtime high-level players; regular/against OP/NO OP wars, to each his own. English spoken. Worldwide brotherhood of rebel scourges :twisted:

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#3 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:31 am

The history of dictatorships and oppressive governments in most of these countries may influence players to choose to play as Rebels, but it is only a game, and I think most play because it is Star Wars and choose to play with Empire, because in movies the Empire has always had the best weapons / vehicles, and of course, Darth Vader.

I never chose a side. When I started playing 3 years ago, the old versions of Windows allowed you to play with both factions in the same account, changing the factions in the game client. After the end of the Windows version, I started new imperial and rebel accounts on Android.

This infographic is very old and previous to Arsenal. It does not mirror the reality of the game today after many veteran players on either sides have given up the game or swapped sides due to imbalances between factions over the course of the latest updates.
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial HQ 11 & Rebel HQ 11 on vacation.

FelixKostobi
Commodore

Post#4 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:14 am

I don't think that a country's historical background has anything to do with faction selection. Even the game at the start suggests that empire has stronger troops and that is something new players take in consideration I think.
I am in no way a rebel person in RL, but being an old SW fan I prefered to play strictly as a rebel from the start just because I liked it this way :)
HQ Prestige Rebel only, 79k medals, founder and former leader of Rebel4Ever, now a plain member
If you want to play squad wars seriously, feel free to join us!
http://ksod.us/squad/0c200967-cf87-11e7-a9d4-0a580a2c1020/history
LINE ID : fcostov

lukeskywalker
Admiral

Post#5 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:48 pm

Reviving an old post, because this thought popped into my head. I think it's clear from the gsow.net galaxy wide stats, that faction imbalance is still an issue. It impacts wars and PvP. What if the game gave you an option to select a faction at the start, or have an option to let the game choose your faction and in return you would get bonus crystals at the start for giving up that choice? I wonder how many players are on the fence enough to take that option? The game would then allocate those newcomers to the faction that needs it the most.

I don't think you want to push 100% of the new players into one faction, so it would be a percentage. I think each player has a shelf life, so going to an extreme could hurt at some point. Maybe a 70/30 or 60/40 split at the most, until the faction populations start to even out? It does hit Zynga's pocketbook in the short-term, but more competition and balance between the factions should lead to more income down the road in theory. More balance more wars as an example. Just a thought.
lukeskywalker
Leader
Squad: onewiththeforce
Squad Level: 50

We are always looking for active players. We have a squad of 25+ members, and we war twice a week. We have maxed out our Perks. We like helping new players, so all players are welcome!

LORDPUMPSALOT
Commodore

Post#6 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:34 pm

Shortly after the game was created, I joined on my ipad. We had to choose a side. I chose the Imperial's because I have always loved their toys since 1977, and especiallyafter Empire Strikes Back. The toys they had on Hoth were and still are my favorites. I also have always liked Vader.
That being said, I also started a rebel base on my pc a couple years later and I enjoyed it also but lost it at L8 because my pc died and, at that time, I didn't know how to recover it.
DON'T HATE THA PLAYA, FIX THA BASE... :o :o :o :o :oops: :oops: :oops: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

LEADER OF TheCloneWarrior SQUAD. If you are a SOLID level 10+ daily player, stop on by...THE WATER IS NICE.

Ghostie
Major General

Post#7 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:01 am

ImperialJarhead wrote:I came across the old one-year anniversary infographic recently, and the geographic distribution of Rebel and Empire players intrigued me:

The fact that so many Imperial players come from Europe, North America, and East Asia while the Rebels are concentrated in Africa, South America, and the Middle East probably means something.

So I was wondering: Why do you guys personally choose the side you do, and/or why do you think the distribution is what it is? (Also, if you feel comfortable, what region are you from?)

That's pretty cool. I just realized that I have been in squads with individuals from every continent except Antarctica...lol....Anyone out there ever been in a squad with anyone from (stationed) in Antarctica?
Overconfidence is the most dangerous form of carelessness.

mkenobi
Grand Admiral

Post#8 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:35 am

lukeskywalker wrote:Reviving an old post, because this thought popped into my head. I think it's clear from the gsow.net galaxy wide stats, that faction imbalance is still an issue. It impacts wars and PvP. What if the game gave you an option to select a faction at the start, or have an option to let the game choose your faction and in return you would get bonus crystals at the start for giving up that choice? I wonder how many players are on the fence enough to take that option? The game would then allocate those newcomers to the faction that needs it the most.

I don't think you want to push 100% of the new players into one faction, so it would be a percentage. I think each player has a shelf life, so going to an extreme could hurt at some point. Maybe a 70/30 or 60/40 split at the most, until the faction populations start to even out? It does hit Zynga's pocketbook in the short-term, but more competition and balance between the factions should lead to more income down the road in theory. More balance more wars as an example. Just a thought.

As I said above, when I started SWC on Windows in the very beginning, the SWC Windows client allowed you to create a second base in the opposite faction using the same account. There was an option to change factions, so the game reloaded to the secondary base. I believe this facility helped keep the balance of factions in the early days of Windows.

I started as Imperial, and then started a secondary Rebel base, and it worked for a while, but then an update screwed it up, and the game crashed in switching to the secondary base and reloaded back to the main base. I was not able to get into my squad or play with the secondary base for six months, until an update fixed that, and then a new update braked all over again! SWC Windows stuff.

Tired of this bullshit, I created a Rebel account on Android, and when SWC Windows was closed, I created an Imperial account on Android and got my crystal clearing.

Summary: I've always played with both factions since the beginning. I believe Rebels have more appeal because they have the heroes of old generations who have seen the original films and lived on 70s and 80s that were times of rebellion and contestation. Newer generations may prefer to play as Imperial because of the iconic ATAT and ATST and especially Darth Vader, and many prefer to live the villain than the good guy.

But today, I have more Rebel accounts than Imperial accounts, and I really enjoy more of playing as Rebel.
SWC Windows survivor.

Imperial HQ 11 & Rebel HQ 11 on vacation.

Therealharbinger
Major General

Post#9 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:40 am

Remarkable how this game doesnt work in Cuba (found out in person last year) sucked. Two weeks of no SWC.
And in China....
Is this a choice of Disneys... or the commies? I'd love to know the answer. Have the loony governments actually banned a game where you can play as a rebel against an empire?

Lord
Major General

Post#10 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:32 am

Therealharbinger wrote:Remarkable how this game doesnt work in Cuba (found out in person last year) sucked. Two weeks of no SWC.
And in China....
Is this a choice of Disneys... or the commies? I'd love to know the answer. Have the loony governments actually banned a game where you can play as a rebel against an empire?

China is a hugh market, it can't be the developer's idea to ban it because developers are not all idiots. Actually most games in China have to create a new server due to the internet wall, maybe they just can't get the permission of government.

Return to “General Discussions”