Squad Rank - War Matchup Questions.

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
BarBarJinks
Commodore

Squad Rank - War Matchup Questions.

Post#1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:49 pm

How does squad rank affect the strength of a squad? I am curious because my level 19 squad, with no 10's just got trounced in war by a level 38 squad, with level 10 bases. I have been playing this game for two years, and never really thought about squad level having any bearing on the strength of a squad. Matching seems a bit skewed, is anyone else experiencing this problem?
Last edited by DeathStriker on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Thread Title - Capitalized
"Adapt Acolyte"

BarBarJinks
Commodore

Re: Squad rank - War matchup questions.

Post#2 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:53 pm

bumping because I need to have this question answered.
"Adapt Acolyte"

ObiTwo
Captain

Post#3 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Squad rank plays no part in the matching algorithm for squad wars.

Broadly speaking, the team of 15 players you select has an average base score (determined by the level of their base and structures) which is used to find an opponent within a range of similar base score.

The algorithm has been adjusted at various times to try and improve the speed of match making, which can be detrimental to the quality of the matches.

However if you keep your average base score low enough, you will not get matched against the very high level squads with all level X bases.

Boog
Major General

Post#4 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:04 pm

I think squad rank plays a *huge* part in the match making. My squad has no level 10s. For a while, we had a couple who normally didn't war. Our matchups were doable, but we usually faced anywhere from 2-6 level 10's. However, the squads themselves were not great, and we usually had a higher medal count than the opponent (in some cases, I had a higher medal count than the entire war squad as a level 8).

Once we hit rank 40 as a squad, our matchups became nuts. We've faced as many as 13 level 10's, and have had wars where every single opponent's base had a higher base score than any of ours, while the average base score of the opponent was something like 67% greater than ours. We're also getting out-medaled, and at times by a lot. Pretty much every matchup since we hit 40 has been massively lopsided. At most, we've had two fresh level 9's in our wars squads, then 5-6 8's, the same number of 7's, and bases as low as level 3.

Long story short, I think that squad rank plays a big part in the matchups. I don't think rank 19 is that big of a deal. You may have just gotten unlucky (it happens). But when you hit 40, they throw you into the deep end, and we have had almost no chance in wars.

rawrebel
Commodore

Post#5 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Base score along with medal count of a squad is the main factor in matching,once getting in area of 50 k total base score of a squad and 150k medals you can definetly be sure you'll get big boys squads,at least 5/9 lv10,if your squad can mentain a medal count below 100k and not go over 50k base score there are good chances to get decent matches.
Other solution is to develop all your bases at 10 as fast as possible so at least you have even chances on attack but when you face top coordinated squads will be a all up war,usually these squads mop everyone within a couple of hours at max

XitLiteNtrNite
Lieutenant

Re: Squad Rank - War Matchup Questions.

Post#6 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:47 pm

My understanding of the match-making algorithms matches rawrebel's. I've never understood using medals in matchmaking, as they aren't indicative of the attack capability of a player. A better algorithm is based on base strength, offensive troop levels, and win streak (one of the more important considerations, IMO). Simply basing it on overall base strength isn't always good, as it lets squads with a lot of sandbaggers get unfair matchups, or lets a squad throw in 2-3 low-level bases in order to get an advantage at the top-end.
Paper Tiger
Officer in B.C.Vipers, a level 50 Imperial squad
Recruiting active members, any HQ level

BarBarJinks
Commodore

Post#7 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:08 pm

I appreciate all the input.Very informative, thanks everyone.
"Adapt Acolyte"

ObiTwo
Captain

Post#8 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:05 pm

I remember seeing one of the developers (on the previous forum) saying it was only the average base score of your team, but also I've done a lot of testing in over 1000 wars. I'm very confident medals and squad level have no impact at all on match making.

Boog, typically as the squad level rises, so do base score of your players (as they upgrade things in their base with all those war win crates, conflicts and hard work). It can seem like other factors are playing a part in the outcome when they aren't. I looked at your squads base scores, your lowest possible team is well over the tipping point and can get matched up with the top squads including an all level X team. This is why you are getting bad match ups.

We have multiple squads and have moved people around a lot, for training and better team balance, we have put brand new low level players in near max squad level squad to do wars, no issue. We have started new squads with big teams and again did not get easy match ups. It was completely based on the team we sent.

Sand bagging is possible to avoid really big squads, some war teams have made it to top 10 on ksod by taking very low teams to ensure good match ups. Highly skilled players with low level (mini bases) can also play a big part in a war result.

XitLiteNtrNite, that wouldn't help them. Throwing 2 or 3 or 4 little bases in, with a team of Xs and 9s wouldn't help with match making. The average base score would still be too high to avoid the very big match ups. It would just reduce their ability to compete.

There are two ways to avoid bad match ups. Take a very small low level team of highly skilled players, so you can fight up if needed (i.e. all level 6s vs a team of 7s and 8s as a very simple example). This is a type of gaming the system though. Or take a team of all level Xs.

Swad
Major General

Post#9 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:07 am

Rank plays no part as others have described, it is based on the base score and medals of the 15 players in the war party.
We frequently put lev tens in war, and on other occasions no one higher than a lev 8. If matching was based on squad anything, you would lways be forced to put your highest players in war.
Having said all that, the matchmaking is messed up on occasions.
:lol:

Player name Ghost

Leader of: Spawn an active Imperial war squad
Entry level/assessment squad SPAWN~Rising Join us

Allied with ShadowInMe. An Imperial squad, KSOD top 100.Join us for war.

Richaldo
Major General

Post#10 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:10 am

Our squad is at 168th in the league... we get matched from anyone from the top 10 rebel squads... to the top 1000th!!!!!!!!!!

Therefore I can only conclude that matchmaking in this game is about as useful as a Chocolate fire guard haha!
Richaldo. SITh
100000 Medals... Maxed out madman ...

Return to “General Discussions”