The Last Jedi (Spoilers Included)

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
Plagueis
Grand Admiral

Re: The Last Jedi (Spoilers Included)

Post#241 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:27 am

Forceisweaknyou wrote:I respectfully disagree. Cover-ups are ubiquitous.

The problem with covering up something that generates a ton of buzz is that the truth often gets leaked and costs that company a ton of money especially if they tried to conceal that information. Most companies go into “damage control mode” when something like this happens by releasing a statement to release liability in the eyes of consumers. In this case, they have absolutely nothing to gain by hiding any hacking if it did happen and would lose credibility for their reviewing of not just TLJ, but every other movie they review. It’s FAR better to say “Hey, this one movie’s audience reviews got hacked. We caught it, fixed it so it doesn’t happen again. Our expert reviews for TLJ were not affected by the hack.” See? Simple and appeases the audience. The fact that nothing has happened from their end tells us that the hacking probably didn’t happen.

Plagueis
Grand Admiral

Post#242 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:32 am

RylosAlchiban wrote:
Forceisweaknyou wrote:What would you expect them to say? They can't admit it if it is true. The reality is that it is possible. And the reality is that 90% of actual moviegoers liked the movie.

Actually 51% of moviegoers DISLIKED the Movie and as it opens around the world expect millions more to be turned off by this stinkfest of a Star Wars film.

Cinemascore's motto is "Everybody gets a trophy for participating".

I find NOT the critics score, but the registered users score to be extremely accurate on Rotten Tomatoes. By the way the movie has fallen to 49% of actual moviegoers approval rating, and did NOT even finish first in its debut in China.

Oh I hate you so much with that Mary Popping Leia pic, lol. When I saw that in the theater, I thought, “God Damnit Disney”.

RylosAlchiban
Captain

Post#243 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:31 am

The Last Jedi - A Terrible Movie :cry:

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#244 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:57 pm

RylosAlchiban wrote:

{see image in post above}

Hahaha nice Rogue meme
Last edited by DeathStriker on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated Thread Post - Reduced Quote for Brevity.
Leader ofSHADOW-GUARDrank140 148300k X
Looking forward to Ep9.

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#245 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:10 pm

The reason reviews (49-75%) don't match theater exit polls (90%), I surmise, is that angry fanboy is more motivated to speak his mind than casual fan that enjoyed the movie.
Looking forward to Ep9.

Rypcord
Commodore

Post#246 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 am

YourFather wrote:Yes this and the fact that the bombs are initially launched with electromagnetic rails. The bombs aren't falling, they're accelerating in a vector away from their source and toward their target. Friction doesn't play a factor in space so the objects accelerate at a constant velocity (see Newton's first law).

The human brain isn't use to observing events in a microgravity environment so a person's mind attaches false meanings to the event.

Now a valid argument would be about whether or not this is the most efficient means of delivering a payload from a spacecraft.

This is my biggest complaint about the 'running out of fuel' plot. Lack of friction in space. Even if the starships would run out of fuel, due to no friction in space, they would continue at their current progression untiil something stopped them.

Example -- the Futurama episode "Godfellas" where Bender gets shot out of the torpedo cannon.

The other annoyance in that vein was whenever the starships (the non-Raddus ships) DID run out of fuel... they fell back, hung for a bit, and then started to drift downwards/fall before getting destroyed by the First Order.

That looked so ridiculously bad and stupid, I don't even have words for that. Just like Leia's clothing flapping as she Poppins'd her way back into the ship.

Rypcord
Commodore

Post#247 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:22 am

Forceisweaknyou wrote:The reason reviews (49-75%) don't match theater exit polls (90%), I surmise, is that angry fanboy is more motivated to speak his mind than casual fan that enjoyed the movie.

It also depends on who they poll. If you randomly select 20 people out of an audience, you might get 19 brunettes and 1 blond. Doesn't mean that 95% of the world has dark hair. It's random.

Likewise, you might be more 'euphoric' or 'happy' about the movie you just saw when leaving, rather than later, having time to think it over and rationalize/think about it and rehash it all in your head before coming up with a review.

The big thing is there are actual REVIEWs, like legitimate break downs of the movie, and those doing them are far more in the "its bad" camp than in the "its good" camp - which currently seems as far as critical reviewers go, seems to only be Kevin Smith....

Forceisweaknyou
Grand Admiral

Post#248 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Rypcord wrote:
Forceisweaknyou wrote:The reason reviews (49-75%) don't match theater exit polls (90%), I surmise, is that angry fanboy is more motivated to speak his mind than casual fan that enjoyed the movie.

It also depends on who they poll. If you randomly select 20 people out of an audience, you might get 19 brunettes and 1 blond. Doesn't mean that 95% of the world has dark hair. It's random.

Likewise, you might be more 'euphoric' or 'happy' about the movie you just saw when leaving, rather than later, having time to think it over and rationalize/think about it and rehash it all in your head before coming up with a review.

The big thing is there are actual REVIEWs, like legitimate break downs of the movie, and those doing them are far more in the "its bad" camp than in the "its good" camp - which currently seems as far as critical reviewers go, seems to only be Kevin Smith....

Come on maann...both the theater polls are industry standards used by the major studios and poll thousands of people. Critics reviews 90%. Idbm 75%. Rotten hacked tomatoes 49%. I stand by the data. Now I respect individual opinions. If you love the movie you are right. If you hated the movie you are right. But the movie is one of the most popular movies of all time and the average moviegoer loved it. Those are simply the facts.
Looking forward to Ep9.

YourFather
Major General

Post#249 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Rypcord wrote:
YourFather wrote:Yes this and the fact that the bombs are initially launched with electromagnetic rails. The bombs aren't falling, they're accelerating in a vector away from their source and toward their target. Friction doesn't play a factor in space so the objects accelerate at a constant velocity (see Newton's first law).

The human brain isn't use to observing events in a microgravity environment so a person's mind attaches false meanings to the event.

Now a valid argument would be about whether or not this is the most efficient means of delivering a payload from a spacecraft.

This is my biggest complaint about the 'running out of fuel' plot. Lack of friction in space. Even if the starships would run out of fuel, due to no friction in space, they would continue at their current progression untiil something stopped them.

Example -- the Futurama episode "Godfellas" where Bender gets shot out of the torpedo cannon.

The other annoyance in that vein was whenever the starships (the non-Raddus ships) DID run out of fuel... they fell back, hung for a bit, and then started to drift downwards/fall before getting destroyed by the First Order.

That looked so ridiculously bad and stupid, I don't even have words for that. Just like Leia's clothing flapping as she Poppins'd her way back into the ship.

To be absolutely fair, we do watch Star Wars with the acceptance that something can travel at the speed of light (or faster as it would seem judging by the rate they traverse their galaxy). They're not even using Alcubierre warp drives, they explicitly say "light speed!"

So if we are to bend the rules of physics and allow objects to travel at the speed of light then the fuel shortage in the movie becomes a legitimate problem. In this universe, an object can accelerate indefinitely without reaching a mass-limited velocity (light speed). So a constant fuel source would be required for the rebel fleet to stay ahead of the imperials.

I fully agree, there was no excuse for the ships to act like they're experiencing extreme friction when they ran out of fuel. I'm assuming that was purely for dramatic effect.

I too have great disdain for Leia's force scene, albeit for different reasons but yeah, that should never have been made.

Plagueis
Grand Admiral

Post#250 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Forceisweaknyou wrote:
Rypcord wrote:

Come on maann...both the theater polls are industry standards used by the major studios and poll thousands of people. Critics reviews 90%. Idbm 75%. Rotten hacked tomatoes 49%. I stand by the data. Now I respect individual opinions. If you love the movie you are right. If you hated the movie you are right. But the movie is one of the most popular movies of all time and the average moviegoer loved it. Those are simply the facts.

Rotten tomatoes was not hacked. From Forbes:

With regard to that very low audience score, quite a few conspiracy theorists ignored the overwhelming evidence that many moviegoers disliked the film, and circulated accusations of organized vote campaigns designed to drive down the film’s scores, despite the absence of any credible evidence to support this notion.

In late December I spoke with a Rotten Tomatoes representative named Dana Benson who claimed that the company works assiduously to prevent such manipulation and goes to great lengths to verify their ratings’ accuracy and authenticity. “We have several teams of security, network, and social database experts who constantly monitor reviews and ratings to ensure that they are genuine,” Benson told me. “They haven’t seen anything unusual with The Last Jedi, except that there has been an uptick in the number of written user reviews submitted.”

Return to “General Discussions”