Use of Bots or Macros - Discussion Thread

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.

Poll: Is The Use of Bots or Macros Cheating?

Strongly Agree
61%
Somewhat Agree
9%
Neither Agree or Disagree
12%
Somewhat Disagree
8%
Strongly Disagree
10%
Total votes: 332

Tomato
Commodore

Re: Use of Bots or Macros - Discussion Thread

Post#61 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:44 am

I only use them to open the stupid crates LOL. That's okay right?
iOS / Android - Tomato: Officer SamuraiHunters
Windows - Tomato: Leader Order-33 (Part of the Order family) Thanks Disney :(

DarkRebel
Admiral

Post#62 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:59 am

Other than conflict, another issue that I have with bots/macro players is that they keep their bases online most/all the time.
They can attack others and loot as much as they want.
But their base can’t be attacked.

Boog
Grand Admiral

Post#63 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:46 am

Fix matchmaking, and all these problems go away. I'm ok with every UC player having a minibase and running macros 24/7 if it gets the devs to finally abandon their idiotic matchmaking algorithm.

Alpha
Major General

Post#64 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:57 am

Macro/bots whatever it is all a non game function therefore will always be deemed as an add on which most gaming companies will have in their E&A's that this is not acceptable thus being deemed as cheating.

Yes fixes to match making would considerably help in this matter
also with so many squads now fully maxed on reputation, it is about time to expand on the rep and add perks to actually speed up the build times on troops mechs and space.
and also maybe even add a second cantina.

just my two cents/pennys

ChiptheFish
Major General

Post#65 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:48 am

DarkRebel wrote:Other than conflict, another issue that I have with bots/macro players is that they keep their bases online most/all the time.
They can attack others and loot as much as they want.
But their base can’t be attacked.

This.
Chip the Fish, Rebel: HQ Prestige, Medals: 26K, Battle Rank: 13 (Android)
ObiTwo: Officer in this Level 43 Squad - Join us!
Casual but active L4-11 player's welcome. 2-3 wars a week. Any time-zone. English only

Spazdoc
Cadet Trooper

Post#66 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:21 pm

I am in the somewhat agree group. Keeping your base online to prevent attacks, automating attacks, etc, I disagree with.

One item I wonder about it is a macro to prebuild your loadout. I select my loadout before I attack to speed turnover times, but I would love to have a single button to click "LOADOUT" to select my usual loadout troops.

Or an attack and defence macro for the armory, so I don't have to deselect and select every time I log off.

Yes, not very hard or mentally difficult to select things repeatedly, but tedious when I log in and out during attack runs.

First world problems....

DesertPyramid
Major General

Post#67 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Is it still “playing the game” if you have a bot doing the work? Does the bot know it is winning or taking resources causing CNFOs for other players? Or crashing servers by driving the server load too high?

Will it be able to learn to hold up a picture of its owner in a different shirt every 24-hours so it gets past the AI requiring player photos three to five years from now as “proof of not bot” or be able to choose the right captchas to launch a battle?

Would a human player mind playing a brief “tag the stormtrooper” mini game to launch the next battle randomly every five to ten battles if it cuts down on the bots?
Rebel Squad: Jedi_Falcons L10 Perks: L36
Medals: ~43k Deka/o: 31/23 Jumps: 4d/3f/3a

geoman48
Major General

Post#68 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:40 am

DesertPyramid wrote:Will it be able to learn to hold up a picture of its owner in a different shirt every 24-hours so it gets past the AI requiring player photos three to five years from now as “proof of not bot” or be able to choose the right captchas to launch a battle?

LOL :mrgreen:

Fivecrayfish
Squadron Leader

Post#69 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:30 am

Long discussion, don't know if it's still going or not, but here is my 2 cents :

"is the use of macro for training troops wrong".

No, because at Best it would simply load your specific loadout in and you'd still have to wait the same time as anyone else.

"is the use of macro for collecting crates wrong"

Nope, again nothing wrong.

Now on to the serious ones :

"a macro for attacking and leveling every base."

Doesn't work. I am programmer and level of complexity required to create such a program that could level any lvl 10 base is not gonna happen any time soon. Sorry folks,

"is using bots to make sure you stay on 24/7 in order to avoid getting attacked wrong."

Well, that depends not in the spirit of game, but definitely nothing wrong.

another was : "using bot to speed up vehicle/troop build time."

If real crystal were used, then not otherwise anyone got any proof that this is possible without alteration of code feel free to tell me how (remember bots only).
Been playing since day 1, was there to see all the blunders this game made, had over 8 accounts (rebel/imp), still no idea why I'm playing.

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#70 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:25 pm

Fivecrayfish wrote:"a macro for attacking and leveling every base."

Doesn't work. I am programmer and level of complexity required to create such a program that could level any lvl 10 base is not gonna happen any time soon. Sorry folks,

Welcome to the Forum.

There are macros that enable players to attack bases successfully, and that is one of the main topics in this thread.

There are commanders that have built bases to 'game' the matchmaking algorithms. These bases have advanced level barracks, factories and research centres, and troop transports, and as few other buildings as possible. They typically have only the two turrets you start the game with, and they leave them at level 1 or 2. They just don't build any other buildings when they become available in-game. In this way they have an attack capability of a level 8, 9 or 10, base, but a base score of an HQ 4 or 5 base, simply because they haven't built or upgraded any other buildings. The game then matches them with level 4 or 5 bases, even though their attack capability is much much higher.

The most commonly reported / complained of macro attack strategy is from a commander or commanders in a squad called PartyLikeVader. The EAT-AT and all of the troops are deployed in the bottom edge corner, and the troops will then go on to destroy a base. This works because the attack units are of a much higher level than the level of the base they are attacking.

It's thought to be obvious that a macro is making these attacks rather than a player, because the exact same strategy has been seen on several bases, even though their buildings are all located in the top corner. EAT-ATs are very slow moving, and their primary target are shields. No human player would deploy it across the base from where the shields are, not least because all of the other units deployed at the same time will have gotten there long before the EAT-AT.

This attack strategy, effected by a macro, enables players using this strategy to play 24/7. In this way, some commanders are able to get UCL on several planets during conflicts and never need to spend any time actually playing the game.

It is controversial as other players playing normally put in a lot of time into the game and can find themselves close to, but just outside of conflict prize thresholds because macro-using players are able to get into the top levels without making any personal effort.

I should add two things, firstly, that this method of play is not thought to be exclusively used by commanders in PartyLikeVader, and that PartyLikeVader dispute using it, particularly since it's been hotly criticised on this forum. I have mentioned them in this post, simply because that's how the discussion is usually framed and many other posts refer to them.

The purpose of this thread is to have a sensible discussion about it.
HQ 10 - Sons of Death

You must do what you think is right, of course.

Return to “General Discussions”