Use of Bots or Macros - Discussion Thread

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.

Poll: Is The Use of Bots or Macros Cheating?

Strongly Agree
61%
Somewhat Agree
9%
Neither Agree or Disagree
12%
Somewhat Disagree
8%
Strongly Disagree
10%
Total votes: 332

DeathStriker

Use of Bots or Macros - Discussion Thread

Post#1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:13 am

A lot of discussion has been made lately on the ethical use of Bots or Macros while playing Star Wars Commander.

Opinions on this are varied both Pro and Con.

My opinion is that:

• If a Bot/Macro is used to speed up Loadout completion prior to Attack then it is fine since this is similar to the use of Crystals to speed up the Training / Building / Hiring / Mobilization / Commissioning of Units.

• If a Bot/Macro is used to effect the outcome of a PvP Attack then that is cheating and should be reported.
⇨ Vote in the Related Poll (if you wish) - You can change your vote anytime.

Post any comments below...

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

Vrroommm
Captain

Re: Use of Bots or Macros - Discussion Thread

Post#2 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:26 am

Sorry death but if your ok with bots being used for some things and not other things I just lost my respect for you.
Your basically saying as long as they are used your way it's ok but they can't be used beyond that.

That's hypocrisy any day of the week.

DeathStriker

Post#3 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:37 am

Vrroommm wrote:Sorry death but if your ok with bots being used for some things and not other things I just lost my respect for you.
Your basically saying as long as they are used your way it's ok but they can't be used beyond that.

That's hypocrisy any day of the week.

Vrroommm - I don't use them (Bot/Macro) either for Loadout Creation / Completion or during PvP Attacks.

MY POINT was that if a Player was smart enough to create a "shortcut" which instantly built a specific "Loadout" that use of this shortcut would be no different than using Crystals which also does the same thing.

Of course using a "shortcut" to do so is cheaper both in virtual and real currency but in the greater scheme of things doesn't effect PvP Attack "results" other than allowing Players to attack sooner.

Players still need to win attacks, and using a "shortcut" to instantly built a specific "Loadout" doesn't mean that the Player will win any attacks.

NOW IF a Player used a "shortcut" (Bot/Macro) to aid in winning a PvP Attack (like disable all defenses or allowing deployment of more than 120 UC of Units) then - YES - I agree that is cheating and should not be allowed.

I hope you understand my point better...

PartylikeVader
Captain

Post#4 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:38 am

I was recently made aware that a great deal of work was/is done by SWC users on game automation. I was startled at how deep this went and how critics praised the use of this.

Save/Load SWC Base Layout
This allows you to instantly change your base layout to one you made previously. Fully automates the process. You instantly switch from a HD layout, to a WAR layout, to a vanity base design that looks like Darth Vader's mask.

SWC Defensive Log Tracker
This lets you check your defensive log and wins without having to even log back into the game.

defensive log wtf.png

You can see all the attacks someone made on you without even logging into the app? This makes me wonder now seeing all the people post their "epic screenshots" of defensive wins and conflict medals. It's possible to know you've won 5 or 6 defenses in a row. It's also possible to know you've lost a defense and need to go back and reset it.

I'm not this advanced when it comes to computers and wouldn't be able to construct something like this. This is clearly automation - not a person actually playing the game and has visual evidence of recoding - game manipulation. I'm happy just using the iOS SWC widget you get when you download the game.

Tweaking with code is shady to begin with, as you never know what someone is doing on the side. Nonetheless, this is news to me and is concerning.

Vrroommm wrote:That's hypocrisy any day of the week.

Yep.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rath Severus
Leader of PartylikeVader

MobiusPrime
Commander

Post#5 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:51 am

I understand DS's intention but my opinion would be the main issue with using any sort of macro is it keeps the game from going offline and prevents a player from getting attacked. that is the main reason people use them, saying they are for collecting resources is just a bunch of BS. Use of bots or macros is against the spirit of any game like this. It's definitely cheating. Do I think it's right for the players who crystal everything and those who have had level 50 dekas since they first came out? No. But I wouldn't consider that cheating, just a poor use of money. Also, this thread is much more on topic in my opinion. Macro use is not something that is exclusive to PLV.
Last edited by MobiusPrime on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
SithLegionXII Empire, Competitive, Active, Adult, Drama Free Squad.

Vrroommm
Captain

Post#6 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:07 am

Death, I'm sure you agree conflicts is about competing against time more than anything. That is the biggest factor everyone faces.
If someone wants to be a credit card warrior that's fine. Disney has built that factor into their game too. More fool them imo.

For me anything that gains any advantage that is not endorsed by Disney is cheating. Should Disney say macros are fine then I'm happy to change my opinion.

Any macro users who consider their use legit, post your account name under my quote. There is no need to hide behind a poll.

DeathStriker

Post#7 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:27 am

I tend to agree with those whom have posted so far.

Using a Bot/Macro that does the limited action of speeding up Loadout creation that can be equated with using Crystals - and thus a wash game-wise - brings up a whole other thought.

What about a Bot/Macro that provides unlimited Crystals which you can use to speed up Loadout creation (amongst other things). Now I and most every other Player would agree that - that - would be cheating.

I personally discourage anyone from using - any - Bot/Macro, but depending on what the Bot/Macro does may effect my opinion of it.

Those that are overall benign (game-wise) may be OK (but I still wouldn't like it) while those that are exploitive (use game loopholes that allow its use) are clearly NOT OK and should be banned.

Continuing the Conversation...

mkenobi
Admiral

Post#8 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:01 am

Vrroommm wrote:For me anything that gains any advantage that is not endorsed by Disney is cheating. Should Disney say macros are fine then I'm happy to change my opinion.

Any macro users who consider their use legit, post your account name under my quote. There is no need to hide behind a poll.

Well... We are living in a wonderful world... 35 years ago we played Atari with joysticks with 1 button. Now we have programs that play for us complex game of strategy while we are working or sleeping... One year ago, I learned about Auto-Clickers to keep your base online and you can't be attacked. This week I learned about Bots, Macros or whatever they call that crap...

Using one or another is cheat, doesn't matter for what purposes they are, and collect resources my ass. If you are not playing the game for your own, you are cheating. If you are asking for friends to play with your account in conflicts to have more victories while you are off, you are cheating too.

I agree with the comment about the "Save/Load SWC Base Layout" and the "SWC Defensive Log Tracker". Everything created to give you some advantage in the game over normal players is cheating. I never used them and I won't use. I have a base that works great for defenses in PvP and HDs without change anything in the layout, only some items in the Armory. And I don't need to know each 5min if my base was attacked. I'm attacked rarely, so I really don't care about my defenses, but using Bots/Macros is a shame.

Who agrees and say here that are using them not only is proving his dishonesty but his own incompetence to get a reward that you can earn just playing fair. I'm in UC on Tatooine with only 37 attacks/15,900 pts (1820) while the player in the 2nd place has 600 attacks/101,000 pts! I'm getting the same 32 frags for IAs. So why to use Bots/Macros if you can get the reward with just a few attacks? Only to have your name at the top of the leaderboard?

Wonderful and weird world we are living now...
A Windows survivor now training players and helping squads through the Galaxy!

Imperial HQ Prestige in "BombSquad18" (Level 49 squad)
Rebel HQ Prestige / HQ 8 in "Ewok_revenge" (Level 50 squad)

Fatboy
Captain

Post#9 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:27 am

As already said anything not endorsed by Disney is cheating.

Bots to speed up loadout, have you considered this in a war where you can attack once outposts are captured so much quicker than your opponents can re capture, it's hard enough as it is.
You say it's the same as spending crystals but it's not. You have to buy, earn or win crystals
Officer in DoNatingBasterdz

Crankyface
Commander

Post#10 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:06 am

This is straight up cheating. Anytime you use a 3rd party method to bypass the game mechanics is cheating, this also removes an avenue of revenue via crystals from the game. Anyone want to see the end results of rampant cheating, look at the status of the Windows version of this game. Then you all can post how pissed you are at disney that they killed off this platform aswell.
Leader of KARNAGE - Part of the Kenobi-Academy Family

Return to “General Discussions”