New Squad Ranking Website - Discussion Thread.

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
lma
Captain

Re: New Squad Ranking Website - Discussion Thread.

Post#91 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:49 am

DarkRebel wrote:How it got there is absolutely relevant.

Squad war ranking needs to be based on squad war performances, not attendance record.

One match should never have moved a squad up 3600 places. That is just bogus, doesn't matter how you look at it. (Now, the exception is with newly formed squad, as there is not sufficient data to properly measure the strength. But squad with 80-100 matches should never have this problem.)

It's like the Phillies suddenly moved to 3rd place in the power ranking because it tied with Houston Astro in the latest game. How ridiculous is that.

There have been many complaints about the medal system ranking, but sadly the Disney developed medal system, even with many short comings, IMHO, is still way better than this squad war ranking system, which somehow takes attendance record into the formula.

Anyway, I know this was done by players, not for profit, but for pure love of the game. So, I respect that.

But it is what it is.

For what it's worth, I don't think we should be ranked that high either (108th). We should be around 150-300th. (that is where is are currently ranked based on medals.)

I am willing to bet that if squad war ranking adopts the current PVP medal system, that the outcome would be much more accurate than the current system which somehow placed a very high emphasis on attendance record.

Agree DarkRebel, I think the current system puts too much emphasis on attendance. And my opinion is prob based on how my rebel squad is ranked at the present. We (WAR United) were ranked 2 (behind Bridgade) before the summer frag reward started... because most of us dont need classic event frags, and we were bored of playing mostly mismatched squad wars, we are warring much less, only really going for the elite match-ups.. and even with that we sometimes miss the matching times as most of us have to clear lag at least once/day so we suddenly find when it comes to initiate we dont have an officer to do it.. anyway with the decay, we now are now ranked in the teens last time i looked.. I dont think we have gotten any worse, and we have beat all the imp teams that we have played against that are currently ranked above us..we just have played less

But I know opinions differ, and by and large it is still quite useful ranking site... and i respect that.

RvaPeacemaker
Storm Trooper

Post#92 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 am

I love the ranking website for seeing war records and getting info on opponent squads. The ranking algorithm is badly flawed though. We ranked around 1,000 and have beaten numerous teams ranked from 400 to 600. Our rank barely changed at all. We go up maybe 10 or 20 points each time. Then we lose one match to a team ranked 120 and we drop down below 3,000.

pdqsport
Major General

Post#93 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:00 am

I just want to start by saying thank you to the assorted players that took their own time to bring Kender's baby (it WAS Kender that started this originally, right?) back off of life support.

I won't pretend to understand all of the algorithms that are in play to determine where a squad should be ranked (I just don't have the time to dedicate to studying them to have a respectable opinion on them one way or the other), and while I cannot say I would be in favor of a significant penalty due to an aging algorithm I can see enough to argue in it's favor that fighting it would be silly.

One bit I might recommend (and for all I know it might already do this) is to have the aging algorithm's weight be affected by the number of results a squad has. For example, a squad with 25 results would have a much more punishing penalty from the aging algorithm for non-participation than a squad with, say, 250 results would have. The aging would still impact everyone (which is, I think, the intent since having the top of the board be filled with retired squads is bad, Mmmkay!), but those squads with a lot of results would have a more 'durable' rank with regards to the aging.
HQ 10 : 24k medals
IGN : Fidelias
Former Officer in Kenobi's Command -- Retired
Level 50 Squad

Midge
Admiral

Post#94 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:21 am

RvaPeacemaker wrote:I love the ranking website for seeing war records and getting info on opponent squads. The ranking algorithm is badly flawed though. We ranked around 1,000 and have beaten numerous teams ranked from 400 to 600. Our rank barely changed at all. We go up maybe 10 or 20 points each time. Then we lose one match to a team ranked 120 and we drop down below 3,000.

Hmmm ... that would be very odd. What is your squad?

EDIT: Found you.

That is odd. But it was your FIRST loss. The first loss always takes an adjustment into account because it had consistently given you points for squads that were not so good. But the loss was the first thing to give the system something to judge you on other than wins and it adjusted accordingly.

It should actually help you in your attempts to climb again.
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed

LosVega
Major General

Post#95 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Just a question? How has the server maintenance affected the rankings website in terms of do the bots still have access?
With squad wars currently still disabled I would think it's probably a none issue at the moment but there has been talk of SWC layout manager not working since the maintenance completed so this could become an bigger issue.
BATTALION FAMILY
WOLF, DRAGON, REDBAK, FALCON, GATOR
Duza's Elite - Empire
Looking for a great squad? Come by for a visit, make new friends and maul
some ass

Spock
Admiral

Post#96 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:40 pm

LosVega wrote:Just a question? How has the server maintenance affected the rankings website in terms of do the bots still have access?
With squad wars currently still disabled I would think it's probably a none issue at the moment but there has been talk of SWC layout manager not working since the maintenance completed so this could become an bigger issue.

Current bots can not connect.
Ksod and the layout manager are not working at the moment.
Just before the maintenance aging was turned off on ksod so no squads should be affected by this long period without Wars.
Hopefully we can get things working again eventually.

Leader of the imperial_enclave. Flagship of the enclave brotherhood of squads.
Always looking for active lvl10 commanders. Line app required.

DeathStriker

Post#97 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:38 am

Spock wrote:Current bots can not connect.
Ksod and the layout manager are not working at the moment.
Hopefully we can get things working again eventually.

Spock - Thanks for posting Update! :D

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

DeltaBravo
Captain

Post#98 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:45 pm

I'm still hopeful...
Empire / Lvl 10 / Dark_Death_Squad Lvl 50 / iOS / Dedicated but mediocre player
Remember to type something funny or clever here...

DeathStriker

Post#99 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:13 pm

UPDATE: KSoD Website Working OK...

Shortly after the Server Maintenance the issues with the KSoD Website were corrected and for the last 2 weeks has been up and running without any issues.

Keeping Everyone Informed...

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

DeltaBravo
Captain

Post#100 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Today was the first day I haven't had a 905 error, but my layout manager is broken which I liked sometimes when I wanted to use a PVP layout during a conflict instead of my usual base. Oh well. Grinding for jumps now, the 18 minutes notice was a surprise. :)
Empire / Lvl 10 / Dark_Death_Squad Lvl 50 / iOS / Dedicated but mediocre player
Remember to type something funny or clever here...

Return to “General Discussions”