Guard Reserve - How Best To Use - Discussion Thread

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
spootieho
Commander

Re: Guard Reserve - How Best To Use - Discussion Thread

Post#141 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:44 pm

I'd be happy if I stopped getting frags for things that I can't max out.

wesman21
Commander

Post#142 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:09 am

How about 10 sonics and 10 rapid fires all level 9, with the rapids buffed fully and then some GR to round out the armory. Is this a commonly used defense?

sgu97cab
Commodore

Post#143 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:15 pm

wesman21 wrote:How about 10 sonics and 10 rapid fires all level 9, with the rapids buffed fully and then some GR to round out the armory. Is this a commonly used defense?

I use similar. I think I have about 6 Sonics and the rest Rapid Fires which I activate both equipment for. I then use GR. Either Sniper GR plus Rodian skin, and either Stormtrooper and Dewback GR, or on Hoth sometimes go with Dewbacks GR plus INT4 skin then Stormtrooper GR. I have been getting quite a few defensive wins with this combo.
Downside of winning defenses however is that I get 3 or 4 wins before losing and therefore getting loads of my resources raided, so now if I am wanting to save up my resources I occasionally pull out my HQ from the middle of the base and put it out in the open hoping to get a defensive loss and earn some hours of protection.
In Game Name: Bacon
Leader - AUS-Darth_Gump (Empire / Level 50 / W111 D2 L9)

wesman21
Commander

Post#144 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:28 pm

Wow, I don't know why, but I never thought of using my forest skin for storms and having that as my guard reserve in addition to either my snipers or my bikes. Going to need to try it.

I feel your pain in regards to being able to defend well enough to lose a ton of resources but not gain protection. Good call on moving the base out to the open!

FalkenXIV
Officer

Post#145 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:47 pm

The setup I used to go with was equipping: Trooper Skins, Trooper Guards, Sniper Guards, and Wall Bracing. That would fill my 44 out of a lvl.VII Armory (44/44).

I did some math... Lets just take in to account Troopers at the moment to make things easier to understand, and leave out Snipers and Wall Bracing out of this.

If I have Trooper Skins and Trooper Guards equipped (taking in to account I get 12 at a time and that my Skins are lvl.IV/+87%) I would get:
Attack - 11,242
Health - 48,470

If, instead of using Trooper Skins and Trooper Guards I use Trooper Guards and Dewback Guards (taking in to account 12 troopers un-skinned and 8 Dews at a time) I get this:
Attack - 17,452
Health - 117,280

There is a clear winner here... I see that equipping Trooper Guards and Dewback Guards is MUCH better than equipping Trooper Skins and Trooper Guards.

So now I use: Trooper Guards, Sniper Guards, Dewback Guards, and Wall Bracing.
~ In-Game Name: Falken ~ Leader of ItsaTrap Imperial Squad ~

sgu97cab
Commodore

Post#146 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:32 pm

I never thought of doing the maths on the stats so this is a good tip. I have found that the dewbacks are good at absorbing fire and slow down the enemy. Also, side note, on the offensive dewbacks kind of become less useful once you get to about level 6, but recently I found (thanks to one of those 'build 27 dewbacks' objectives, that if I deploy some dewbacks in addition to my regular jump trooper loadout the dewbacks run ahead and soak up the turrets and guard reserve, while the jumps hang further back and are effectively protected by the dewbacks for a period of time until they die.
Even better if you are on Hoth and have INT4 equipment! Mine is level 7 so I get a whopping +348%
In Game Name: Bacon
Leader - AUS-Darth_Gump (Empire / Level 50 / W111 D2 L9)

FalkenXIV
Officer

Post#147 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:14 pm

I am pretty basic with my attacks... Not that it belongs in this thread, but it is usually, E.AT-AT, 2 Repair Droids, 2 AT-ST or 2 Hover Tanks, and the rest are skinned Troopers. Basic, but VERY effective! Most base designs are not set up to handle 80-90 Troopers. You just have to make sure to lure out Droidekas, pop fodder down before you pop your E.AT-AT and STs or Tanks with Repair Droids. I almost never use Dewbacks in attacks ~ I like the Xeno attack; Numbers Rule.

wesman21
Commander

Post#148 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:55 pm

That was my strategy when skins first came out, hive swarm! I may try it again soon, I'm up to lvl 7 on my forest skins, may be worth a shot. I'm growing tired of jump swarms, time to go back to the OG.

Boog
Admiral

Post#149 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Dewbacks only do 20% damage to infantry/vehicle targets, and 0% damage to jets (it is splash damage, though). The math doesn't quite work out that way. They are better at slowing the attack down than countering it.

FalkenXIV
Officer

Post#150 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:56 pm

Boog wrote:Dewbacks only do 20% damage to infantry/vehicle targets, and 0% damage to jets (it is splash damage, though). The math doesn't quite work out that way. They are better at slowing the attack down than countering it.

Damn... I forgot about that! Ill have to edit my numbers... Health will stay the same, and they could tank, but the attack numbers will go way down. Ill edit this when I get around to the numbers again. Thank you for pointing that out.

Edit:

New numbers:

If I have Trooper Skins and Trooper Guards equipped (taking in to account I get 12 at a time and that my Skins are lvl.IV/+87%) I would get:
Attack - 11,242
Health - 48,470

If, instead of using Trooper Skins and Trooper Guards I use Trooper Guards and Dewback Guards (taking in to account 12 troopers un-skinned and 8 Dews at a time) I get this:
Attack - 8,300
Health - 117,280

That is a difference of Attack -2,942and Health +68,810. So... Is it worth losing a little bit of attack in order to introduce tanks (Dewbacks) to slow them down?

What are your thoughts? Is it worth losing a little attack in order to get a butload more tanking in there top slow them down?

Return to “General Discussions”