Tool to Save/Load SWC Base Layout

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.

Poll: Usage statistics

I play on Windows server and I use Layout Manager
13%
I play on Windows server and I don't use it
9%
I play on iOS/Android server and I use Layout Manager
33%
I play on iOS/Android server and I don't use it
45%
Total votes: 465

DarthVacc
Major General

Re: Tool to Save/Load SWC Base Layout

Post#21 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:20 pm

Sigma582 wrote:Allow iOS/Android accounts owners to manipulate their bases via Windows-based application (everyone has a Windows PC/laptop at home, right?).

Nope. What about Apple users...? :)

Rank 15 Commander - Lvl10 HQ - 57k+ Medals
Officer - EastCoastRaiders - #272 Squad Worldwide - lvl48 Perks - 490k+ Squad Medals

DeathStriker

Post#22 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:38 pm

Sigma582 wrote:Thanks DS for things to think about.

I'll try to go through your post to work out unclear points. Sorry in advance, there will be lots of words. I'll try to highlight the most important bits though.

Sigma582 - Thanks for taking time to clearly explain everything.

1. I did not know that Facebook did not save a copy of your Base Data and that the Base Data has been, currently is, and will always be stored on the Disney Game Servers.
  2. Thanks for answering my concern about Security. I feel more comfortable now.
  3. Thanks for answering my concern about Safety.
While very thorough with your explanation it raised more questions.

Your program description from the Main Thread Post read as such:

Layout manager allows you to save your current regular/war layout to a file on your hard drive and quickly update your regular/war base with previously saved layout.

I took this to mean that my current Base Layout and/or current War Base Layout would be saved in a Back-Up copy on my PC from which I could restore if needed.

But from your explanation you indicate that my current Base Layout (and War Base Layout) is stored already on the Disney Server, so why would I need a "back up" on my PC?

Perhaps what you really meant to say in your description is this:

Layout manager allows you to save MULTIPLE COPIES OF YOUR current regular/war layout to a file on your hard drive and quickly update your regular/war base with previously saved layout.

The ability to create multiple copies of our Base Layout like the "current" version for PvP Defense, another version for PvP Defense, a third version for HD Defense, etc., has been asked for many Players since the beginning of the game.

Despite my additonal questions, I feel that the hard work and effort in making this "Idea" a "reality" is time well spent and I wish you success in making it happen.

Looking forward to reading reports of the Layout Manager being used by SWC Players.

Keep up the good work! :D

It has been an honor and a privilege helping the SWC Community. MTFBWYA

SFOne
Commodore

Post#23 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:37 pm

joshuatee wrote:
SFOne wrote: Gonna test this out for windows! Awesome work rebelscummer

gee, kids nevah read ; (

Kid? Hardly. I have two though. Clearly a bit foggy eyed at 2.30am ! Sorry Bob, I credited the wrong person. :lol:
Rebel Level 10 80k+
Proud member of TheMidnightMob

SWC Tools For Android
  • Releases: https://github.com/DaveCMo/Android-SWC-Tools/releases
  • https://youtu.be/8rPACDDEWhg

SFOne
Commodore

Post#24 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:57 pm

Sigma, first of all apologies for congratulating the wrong person. I think I was on the 2nd page and mentioned whomever was at the top of that page in my reply - thinking I was in fact on the first page. Perhaps I should stay away from forums after a long SWC session at gone 2am;)

Congrats on undertaking this - as said previously by many I think this seems to be a most wanted feature!

Sigma I have been testing this tool tonight and had success with by:

1. Saving a layout
2. Modifying the layout (moved a few buildings)
3. Restoring layout using your tool.

I have tried to save a different layout and restore this but the 'normal' layout I originally created is the one that is loaded.

Is there a correct sequence needed to get the latest version saved, ie check log in to FB, close app etc?
Rebel Level 10 80k+

SWC Tools For Android

Sigma582
Admiral

Post#25 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:11 pm

DarthVacc wrote:Nope. What about Apple users...? :)

poor guys... :D
well, I'll have a look if this .Net app can run on Mono under MacOS. Windows virtual machine could also help :)

DeathStriker wrote:Perhaps what you really meant to say in your description is this:

Layout manager allows you to save MULTIPLE COPIES OF YOUR current regular/war layout to a file on your hard drive and quickly update your regular/war base with previously saved layout.

The ability to create multiple copies of our Base Layout like the "current" version for PvP Defense, another version for PvP Defense, a third version for HD Defense, etc., has been asked for many Players since the beginning of the game.

Despite my additonal questions, I feel that the hard work and effort in making this "Idea" a "reality" is time well spent and I wish you success in making it happen.

Looking forward to reading reports of the Layout Manager being used by SWC Players.

Keep up the good work! :D

Well, I should have been more specific perhaps. The files saved by LM merely contain locations of your buildings at the moment when you click Save layout. We can call such files "copy" of the base's layout or just "layout" for simplicity, the fact is, it's just a sequence of entries like "bld1:{x:10, z:20}, bld2:{x:12, z:20}, ..."
When you click Load Layout button and select a layout file - LM uses that file to determine where every single building should be placed. Then it issues a command to SWC server to move the buildings to those locations.

Thanks for bringing all these questions to my and public attention. I want this tool to be secure, safe and convenient and want people to be sure it is so. For that all the concerns should be discussed, questions answered, issues sorted out.
New home of former Windows IMPERIALS® squad. PM me to join us on Android server.
-
Layout Manager
http://www.swcommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19986
-
Defense Tracker
http://www.swcommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20403

Sigma582
Admiral

Post#26 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:27 pm

SFOne wrote:Sigma I have been testing this tool tonight and had success with by:

1. Saving a layout
2. Modifying the layout (moved a few buildings)
3. Restoring layout using your tool.

I have tried to save a different layout and restore this but the 'normal' layout I originally created is the one that is loaded.

Is there a correct sequence needed to get the latest version saved, ie check log in to FB, close app etc?

Thanks for taking time to play with Layout Manager. I hope you will find it handy and spread word of it among your friends and squaddies :)

Sorry, I got a bit confused which layouts you saved, loaded and got in the end. Let's put it this way:

Initially you have some base configuration. Let's name it Layout 1. You open LM and save layout to file called Layout1.json.
Then you move some buildings via SWC base editor and get another base configuration. Let's call it Layout 2. You click Save and save it to Layout2.json.
You move buildings once again and get one more configuration - we'll call it Layout 3. You save it to Layout3.json.

After that you click Load and select Layout2.json - you base configuration becomes the one we called Layout 2. You click Load and select Layout1.json - your base becomes of initial configuration. You click Load and pick Layout3.json - the base converts to the last layout we created.

If you are sure that it doesn't work like this (which is VERY unlikely) - would you mind recording video of your test and sending a link to me via PM along with the files created during the test please?

Also keep in mind that junk on your base map may get in the way of your buildings when loading a layout. In such a case you'll get error message saying Status 1010 and layout won't change.
New home of former Windows IMPERIALS® squad. PM me to join us on Android server.
-
Layout Manager
-
Defense Tracker

SFOne
Commodore

Post#27 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:50 pm

Hey Sigma,

Sorry, here I go posting at silly o'clock like I said I shouldn't so hope this makes sense!

BTW at no point am I getting any error messages - just confirmation messages that a layout has been saved/loaded.

1. So I saved a layout using your tool (Layout 1).
2. I then (in game) moved a few buildings around to create layout 2
3. quit the game and loaded the saved layout 1, re started the game and hey presto, layout 1 was now in use.
4. I created layout 3 (a HD focused layout), then have tried
4a quitting the game and saving the layout
4b saving the layout whilst the game is running
5. I then create a layout different from Layout 3 either by restoring layout 1 or just making a new one (layout X) and try to restore layout 3 but each time layout 1 is the one that is loaded.

Can I check the sequence and conditions needed for it to save a layout correctly? I have noticed every time I load my game, I can click on 'Log In' on the facebook 'Log in to save....' button. If you can do that, I'll have another go just to make sure it is not a PEBCAK error and if it isn't, I'll get you a vid and some files.
Rebel Level 10 80k+

SWC Tools For Android

Sigma582
Admiral

Post#28 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:12 pm

Well, there are 2 obvious conditions to save a layout:
- the app should access your base using playerprefs file (looks like it does) and
- the layout should be saved on server; LM always saves exactly what server gives it.

So your base had Layout 1 and you tried to change it to Layout 3 and then save Layout 3. But when you load file which supposed to contain Layout 3 you get Layout 1 instead. Looks like your files for Layout 1 and Layout 3 both have building locations for Layout 1. I bet if you paste these files contents to an online diff tool it will say that the two files are identical.
The only reason why it could happen I can think of is: when you were saving Layout 3 via LM the server still contained Layout 1 for some reason. The changes you make in SWC Layout Mode are not applied to your base until you click Save&Exit. You did click it before saving layout to the file, didn't you? Also, it might have taken the game a few seconds to send your just-saved layout to the server, depending on your device's available RAM and CPU and network connection.

Could you run this test once again and make sure you do apply your new layout in SWC and give it a few seconds to sync with SWC server before going to Layout Manager.
-
Layout Manager
-
Defense Tracker

SFOne
Commodore

Post#29 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:16 am

Yes, I did click save on the layout, used it in a hd ;).

So It seems I wasn't giving it enough time. It is working fine now. I initially had this problem on my Surface Pro 4 so assumed it was a result of the device perhaps not being up to the task. But the same happened on my desktop which is no slouch. This is perhaps major overkill for this but perhaps something which can fetch the layout and render it in the tool to show the user what layout it will be saving, with the option to poll again if an old layout is returned? Something fairly simple. Or maybe just tell users to wait 5 mins ;)

I have a war coming up soon so I'll test it out on that too and report back with my results.

Great work Sigma :)
Rebel Level 10 80k+

SWC Tools For Android

Midge
Grand Admiral

Post#30 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:53 am

SFOne wrote:Yes, I did click save on the layout, used it in a hd ;).

So It seems I wasn't giving it enough time. It is working fine now. I initially had this problem on my Surface Pro 4 so assumed it was a result of the device perhaps not being up to the task. But the same happened on my desktop which is no slouch. This is perhaps major overkill for this but perhaps something which can fetch the layout and render it in the tool to show the user what layout it will be saving, with the option to poll again if an old layout is returned? Something fairly simple. Or maybe just tell users to wait 5 mins ;)

I have a war coming up soon so I'll test it out on that too and report back with my results.

Great work Sigma :)

Wait ... are you making this work with your MorningMob account or is this just with a Windows account?
Leader of The Mob Syndicate

Home of TheMidnightMob, TheMorningMob, TheMiddayMob and TheMobWantsYou

Level X Rebel : Medal Maxed

Return to “General Discussions”