Question of The Day

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
DesertPyramid
Major General

Re: Question of The Day

Post#31 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:42 pm

I did a bunch of items backwards. Early on, I didn't join a squad because I only had time for the missions/story. So, upgraded the SC last.

Used to do: HQ, the one barracks and factory then star port. After that, turrets. UT's might get upgrades if I was doing a lot of attacks. Eventually caught on that I needed to keep walls within one level of the HQ or it was like putting up paper walls between structures. Vaults, Hero, Collectors and Shields were last.

Cantina was always optional - until piggy arrived. The extra 1uc to get a Wookie replacement that has the vibro blade throw at the end has been useful. Sometimes it is the difference between a win and a loss.

At L10, the collectors are handy to slow some attacks and allow turrets to pound the attackers, so I have upgraded them... Mostly.

Though overall it feels like most upgrades have gone to the next lowest cost available upgrade. Some exceptions like the HQ early in the game... Had it upgraded most of the way to L7 when the rules seemed to change and it wasn't a good idea anymore to unlock the next level until everything else caught up.

I kind of miss how the sharpshooter used to start blasting the closest enemy or object... Or when the Vanguard would punch a hole in the wall - before they both became track and field participants.

Now that Phoenix mentioned the building skins... Maybe it's camouflage. How many L6/L7s would attack if they knew most of the buildings were L9/L10?
Squad: Jedi_Falcons L10 Perks: L33
Medals: ~26k Deka/o: 25/17 Jumps: 3d/1f/0h

Euph
Admiral

Post#32 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:53 pm

DesertPyramid wrote:New question: Do you have a plan for which order you do upgrades, or do you just go for the closest one to your haul when you've had enough for the day?

I tend to plan upgrades well ahead of time and plan grinds to collect the loot required.. but if a droid is going to be finishing up and I'm not able to collect enough, I'll set it going on something else with the loot I've got, rather than let it sit idle.

So the answer is both. Have a big long-term plan but remain flexible to changing circumstances.. I like to think that's the best way to be.
Sith-Society
Mature HQ10. Immature meat-bag.
Back in the saddle again..

BertO
Major General

Post#33 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:01 am

PhoenixAZ1899 wrote:Largely what Piper said. Squad center first, research center second. Then I go for offensive units. I sandbagged after level 8 and don't regret it, since the game is catered to favor sandbaggers. Transports, barracks, factories, hero and starship command (so when I earn single-use units they are higher level). After that, defense (because you're going to lose defense anyway, and who wants to win, since your "reward" is losing half or more of your loot): shields, turrets, traps. Collectors are last. After all, they don't even get new skins after level 8, so why bother?

Pretty much exactly the same here. I've never really bothered with collectors because my AT-RTs and rebel trooper horde do the same job but are so much more fun. Getting them all up to level six now though for more hit points.

DesertPyramid wrote:
New question: Do you have a plan for which order you do upgrades, or do you just go for the closest one to your haul when you've had enough for the day?

Grind for important upgrades but now I have my primary level ten offence done I'm letting my loot determine what comes next, so plan/unplanned I guess is my answer to the question.
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Live long and prosper.

DesertPyramid
Major General

Post#34 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:32 pm

New Question: What movie quote do you think describes how you see the game?

Something like "Roads? We don't need roads."

"Would you like to play a game?"

Or... From the same 2nd movie... "Sometimes the best move is not to play."

Those just popped into my head. What others do you have?

BertO
Major General

Post#35 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:13 pm

DesertPyramid wrote:New Question: What movie quote do you think describes how you see the game?

Star Wars, "Never tell me odds" and non Star Wars "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Live long and prosper.

Hoops8
Commodore

Post#36 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:13 pm

DesertPyramid wrote:New Question: What movie quote do you think describes how you see the game?

Something like "Roads? We don't need roads."

"Would you like to play a game?"

Or... From the same 2nd movie... "Sometimes the best move is not to play."

Those just popped into my head. What others do you have?

"Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force." - Yoda ( one I remember every time luke dies when attacking my imp base.
OMISQUAD and OMISQUADBLACK Always looking for those that enjoy good company and good base crushing.

DeathStriker

Post#37 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:04 pm

DesertPyramid - Great Question! :D

My Answers To Question of the Day

*Johhar Kessen talking to Enemy Faction Commander*

Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire 2 shots or only one?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is "Karina", the most powerful sniper rifle in the galaxy and would snipe your Squad Center 12 parsecs away, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

(Paraphrased From Dirty Harry)

─────────────────────────────
AND THIS ONE ALSO...

*Player looking at their Heroic Defense Reward*

“Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”

(Forrest Gump)

─────────────────────────────
AND WHILE NOT A "MOVIE" QUOTE BUT A GAME QUOTE...

"Death is inevitable. Our fear of it makes us play safe, blocks out emotion. It's a losing game. Without passion, you are already dead."

(from Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne)

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

DesertPyramid
Major General

Post#38 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:31 am

Good quotes. I'd like to see more of them. Though, I found a new question when I saw the list of devices no longer going to be supported when IOS 10 comes out:

Will you be upgrading your device to keep playing?

It looks like one of the two systems I use is being retired. The other is nearly unreadable with the new fonts on the small screen... What are you planning to do? Will you keep playing on a device that gets no more OS patches?

Piper139
Major General

Post#39 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:49 am

DesertPyramid wrote:Good quotes. I'd like to see more of them. Though, I found a new question when I saw the list of devices no longer going to be supported when IOS 10 comes out:

Will you be upgrading your device to keep playing?

It looks like one of the two systems I use is being retired. The other is nearly unreadable with the new fonts on the small screen... What are you planning to do? Will you keep playing on a device that gets no more OS patches?

I upgrade my devices every year or so anyway. Phone because it is my primary work phone and I wear them out with 12 hours plus hard use a day. Tablet because it's my primary toy and I like having the latest and greatest. The game doesn't drive my upgrades though.
Leader Sith-Society HQ 10 Medals 40k 4 openings
Leader Havoc_u4ea HQ 10 Medals 17k 0 openings

ObiWanKenobi2016
Admiral

Post#40 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:37 pm

DesertPyramid wrote:New question: Do you have a plan for which order you do upgrades, or do you just go for the closest one to your haul when you've had enough for the day?

I have a plan, but if I get a windfall of resources (eg from a Squad War win), things change, and I look to items I can afford.

All things being equal, after I upgrade my HQ, it's
1) Research lab (so I can improve my attackers)
2) SC
3) Transports
4) Depots (so I can afford to upgrade larger items)

After facing a Squad War where the Imps had maxed out walls for each level of HQ), I'd now prioritise walls next. It slows attackers down.

Shields can wait
Turrets can wait longer - defensive wins still result in resource losses.

I don't need to upgrade my barracks or vehicle factories to unlock units any more.
HQ 10 - 15K medals - Kenobi's Command - L 50 Squad - Max perks - 3 Squad Wars a week

Stop by for Wars, perks and rep points. We're maxed out.

"You must do what you think is right, of course" (We're the good guys)

Return to “General Discussions”