Troops that are kinda useless

General topics, questions, suggestions, bugs, or anything Star Wars Commander related.
thewrener
Commander

Troops that are kinda useless

Post#1 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:22 am

At the higher levels, some troops become overshadowed by their stronger counterparts (i.e. AT-AT>AT-MP) or in some cases, they become straight out unusable. Remember the early levels, when dark troopers/wookies are our favorite troops because they just steamroll through turrets? Now all it takes are a few blasts from a burst turret, a single TIE fighter trap- and *boom* the entire group collapses.

Here are some troops that are kinda useless in the higher levels (or at least not very often because of better combinations)

I really love using underdog troops, I find it surprising just how effective some of these underused troops can be if done right

EMPIRE
    Infantry
    - Phase II dark troopers (they simply die way too fast to be worth 4 spaces)
    -Scout trooper (no one needs a loot stealer when the 3 star combos do it so much better )
    -Repair droid (heals at a snail's pace. Because they count as infantry, the rapidfires targets them and blows them to pieces)
    -Dewbacks (I honestly don't see them problem with them, but apparently everyone hates them. Maybe it's their range)

Vehicles
    -AT-MP (falls apart if a fly lands on it)
    -Probe droid (completely overshadowed by the speed of bikes, power of snipers and the toughness of AT-DPS)
    -AT-ST (deals too little damage, too slow and falls apart easily)

Heroes
    -AT-MP mark III (Literally a worse version of an AT-MP)
    -Royal guard (similar to the darktroopers, falls too fast to burst turrets)
    -Darth vader (a solid hero with the lightsaber ability, but is nothing compared to the elite AT-AT)
    -Joharr kessen (again, kinda useless in comparison to elite AT-AT)
    -

REBEL SCUM THE HEROIC REBELS
    Infantry
    -Wookie warriors (same reason why darktroopers arent used, although they are still used sometimes along with medic droids)
    -Rebel pathfinder (same reason no one uses the scout trooper)

Vehicles
    -Bikes (infantry is so rarely used in later levels there is no need for anti infantry)
    -T2-B repulsor tank (an even weaker version of the AT-ST, at least the AT-ST can take more than one rocket volley)
    -AT-AP (explodes when a flea lands on it)
    -Banthas (slower and weaker than dewbacks, but hits slightly harder)

Heroes
    -Han solo (once the juggies are unlocked, there is no need for a wisecracking smuggler. Go get stabbed by a crossblade lightsaber or something, i dont know)
    -R2D2 (No point in healing vehicles. They blow up in in one hit from rockets anyways)
Captain, we have an incoming volley of salty hate missiles, our shields are down. What shall we do?

We are out of options. BRACE FOR IMPACT!

RebelYell
Admiral

Re: Troops that are kinda useless

Post#2 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:40 am

On the Rebel side, I use some of these units regularly and see use in some others.

Bikes:
Are you joking? Bikes make good SC troops. Also can be helpful to send against buried LAAT traps or for fast SC baiting. (Runs toward droideka)

Pathfinder:
Can be useful for baiting Sonic Turrets or SCs. I use them sometimes in Squad War when I need a fast cleanup troop helping me to get the 3 uplinks. (Especially when there are groups of resource buildings)

The newly buffed AT-RT though will be my priority though when loot is priority.

AT-AP:
When you just need an extra Shield killer and someone gives you cover. Needs half of Juggy capacity. Can be useful with special load outs. But I use it only rarely.

Banthas:
I use them regularly to bait SCs or Sonic Turrets. I send them also in to give Jumps or Luke some seconds of cover from turret fire.
Usually I have at least three of them in my Loadout.

R2D2:
I haven't researched it fully yet. Using it only rarely. Can be useful when you're going with mostly mechs. But SC+Droidkeas handling is difficult then. Maybe combined with AT-TE?
ImageWe're recruiting! (Rebels/Android/iOS). Just PM me here/LINE:lleyleber or request in game with a meaningful text. If you want to take part in wars, lv7+ is useful.

DarthsHomie
Commodore

Post#3 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:39 am

I usually drop about 4 phase troopers to block bullets before deploying the atat hero but yea they do die fairly quick. I used to use the piggies but unlocked the dowutin and I worked far too hard to unlock a lvl 7 cantina so I'm gonna damn well use them

YanSta
Officer

Post#4 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:06 am

Agree about dark troopers.
I have stopped using them after I have unlocked hover tank.
Before that I used them as canon fodder for turrets (just to divert their attention) to save the rest of my forces.
Even 3 dark troopers do less damage and die faster than 1 hover.
Similarly, 12 stormies (equal unit cap.) can do much more damage than 3 dark troopers.
"You're far too trusting"
Grand Moff Tarkin

CrabJr
Squadron Leader

Post#5 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:39 pm

Firstly, I live this thread, very entertaining and thought provoking.
Secondly, I find dark troopers completely useless after dewbacks are unlocked and I have to say that I live dewbacks, I send a group out with storm troopers and they can three star easily as long as royal guards joins them.
Keep Calm and Mass Stormtrooper

thewrener
Commander

Post#6 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:06 am

YanSta wrote:Agree about dark troopers.
I have stopped using them after I have unlocked hover tank.
Before that I used them as canon fodder for turrets (just to divert their attention) to save the rest of my forces.
Even 3 dark troopers do less damage and die faster than 1 hover.
Similarly, 12 stormies (equal unit cap.) can do much more damage than 3 dark troopers.

I have been using the darktroopers lately to pretty good efficiency i must say (either that, or i am targeting weak bases). i find that they are more effective against rocket turrets since they have damage reduction against certain turrets. A few shock troopers could take the traps and as long as i nuke the mortars and burst turrets, the darktroopers will roll through the rest. They still die really quickly though, i usually get only 3-none left over out of 8 darktroopers.

Darktroopers take a reduced 40% damage from mortars, and rocket turrets deal a measly 25% damage to them, making them a more effective meatshield than dewbacks, although dewbacks have a better balance between offense and defence, they dont have too much damage reduction, most turrets deal full damage against them.
Captain, we have an incoming volley of salty hate missiles, our shields are down. What shall we do?

We are out of options. BRACE FOR IMPACT!

YanSta
Officer

Post#7 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:28 pm

thewrener wrote:Darktroopers take a reduced 40% damage from mortars, and rocket turrets deal a measly 25% damage to them, making them a more effective meatshield than dewbacks, although dewbacks have a better balance between offense and defence, they dont have too much damage reduction, most turrets deal full damage against them.

Maybe only against rocket turrets. Don't forget about dead zone of mortars. 4 dewback will deal with them with ease comparing with 3 dark troopers (equal unit cap.).
Same calculation: 12 stormies will dismantle rocket turret in seconds comparing with pack of 3 dark troopers.

BUT! All that stuff is situational, because mutual positioning of both rocket turrets and mortars should be considered.
IMO: Dark troopers can be used just for fun (on 3+ levels) because more reasonable combos can be applied.
"You're far too trusting"
Grand Moff Tarkin

timjohnshort
Captain

Post#8 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:10 pm

This is a great post! I like your analyzation Thewrener!

There are some Rebel additions though:
AT TE - totally useless (snail slow, too much transport capacity and too weak!)
AAT 1 Hover Tank - I used to use this, but it has terrible range and so is knocked out too quick

There are more, but that's pretty good now. lol! Thanks!
Rebel HQ 8 - 5k+ Medals - FarmerWhoopin
proud member of SkywalkersPride

pdqsport
Major General

Post#9 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:12 am

I have a minor disagreement about the uselessness of bikes at higher levels for rebels.

While basic stormtroopers and the like are less prevalent in later levels, Sniper troops show up to take their place. Bikes will mow thru them while rebel heavy infantry get cut down while trying to get into firing range on the imp snipers. The top end speed of bikes ensures that they get shots off before the snipers can kill them.

As a rebel, having the bike as a countermeasure to Snipers in the SC is a value that cannot be overvalued. (Likewise, having a skiff on hand to deal with Imperial speeder bikes is likewise critical)
HQ 10 : 24k medals
IGN : Fidelias
Former Officer in Kenobi's Command -- Retired
Level 50 Squad

TrashHeap
Commander

Post#10 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:00 pm

My issue with dewbacks vs dark troopers is the range. Bases I hit the dewbacks are taking a beating by multiple turrets where the dark trooper are back a little, so they don't get return fire from an additional 2 or 3 turrets.
3 Accounts
1. IOS, Trash Heap, Rebels, Han's Scoundrels, HQ Lvl = 5
2. Windows 10, Trash_Heap, Empire, Squad Watto's Shop, HQ Lvl = 6
3. Windows 10, Big_Guy: Empire, HQ Lvl = 3

Return to “General Discussions”