Website Back Online - Hopefully.

Forum announcements and game play updates.
commander
Site Admin

Website Back Online - Hopefully.

Post#1 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:20 am

Apologies all for the down time. This was a tough one. After working with our web host, they were able to track down the issue. Apparently they had to "flush the firewall". Does anyone know what this mean?

I hope this means uninterrupted chatter going forward and we'll no longer receive time out issues or overload issues. Fingers crossed and may the force be with you.
Last edited by DeathStriker on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Thread Title - Capitalized

rRr
Admiral

Re: Website back online - hopefully.

Post#2 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:06 am

Loading takes long time and many items are missing, but at least its working. :)

RebelYell
Admiral

Post#3 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:28 am

Maybe the result of a SYN-Flood on the server(s). That usually not blocks the firewall but the TCP-Stack. Such a SYN-Flood is known from DOS/DDOS attacks. May not be targeted on your site but on any other site on the same server. (if virtual servers are used)
May even affect the whole provider.

Anyway, difficult to say from outside.

RebelYell
Admiral

Post#4 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:50 am

Here some basic info about it:
http://baheyeldin.com/technology/linux/ ... linux.html
(Google brought me that result)

Enabling syn cookies like told in the link above can help. But maybe these are already enabled (some servers/stacks also enable the cookies on high loads only).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYN_flood

pdqsport
Major General

Post#5 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:10 am

I think I echo the thoughts of many of us here when I say that we are just glad the site is back. :)

rRr
Admiral

Post#6 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:21 am

pdqsport - Yup and it is also back at its previous speed which is GREAT! ;)
Last edited by DeathStriker on Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated Post to remove Quote which does not function for Announcement Threads. Added 'pdqsport'

DeathStriker

Post#7 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:47 pm

I too am glad to see this Forum back up and running again. Hopefully we won't have any issues for quite some time going forward.

commander
Site Admin

Re: Website Back Online - Hopefully.

Post#8 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:22 pm

I tried from another machine earlier today and it was still timing out. According to the server guys, they had to manually whitelist the IP which sounds strange. If you or know anyone experiencing issues, please let me know (with exact time of issue) so I can bring it to the server guys. Thanks!

DeathStriker

Re: Website Back Online - Hopefully.

Post#9 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:00 pm

Commander - In case you are unfamiliar with the "term" of "Whitelist" here is a definition (from Wikipedia).

A whitelist is a list or register of entities that are being provided a particular privilege, service, mobility, access or recognition. Entities on the list will be accepted, approved and/or recognized.

Whitelisting is the reverse of blacklisting, the practice of identifying entities that are denied, unrecognised, or ostracised.

Hope that helps you understand better.

Return to “Announcements”