Best Way to Get Most Out of Vader?

This forum is for sharing tips and guides
Marus
Lieutenant

Best Way to Get Most Out of Vader?

Post#1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:05 am

I seem to struggle with Vader, he just dies to fast.
I tend to play boring and just swarm with buffed Jumps, hay it works for me :)

I have been sending my eAT-AT in first then my jumps, this has worked fine so far, eAt-AT tends to stay alive until the end.
Now I have his skin and its almost level 5 I wanted to try Vader, I have tried sending him in first and last either way he just takes everything and dies fast, even if I pop his ability he dies right after it ends.

What way works best for you when using Vader?

Alpha
Commodore

Re: Best Way to Get Most Out of Vader?

Post#2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:16 am

I find it best to use Vader as a trap and lure for SC troops or a front runner for Sonics and use his spin attack. If you have the Astro-medic open try a couple on him it will help to keep him alive longer. but in all honesty with Buffed Jumps you really don't need a Hero anymore.

Sigma582
Admiral

Post#3 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:27 am

Use him spinning to keep turrets busy while other troops kill them. Drop a medship on him when hp is low. Distract sonics with storms/dews, otherwise they will kill him real quick.
New home of former Windows IMPERIALS® squad. PM me to join us on Android server.
-
Layout Manager
http://www.swcommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19986
-
Defense Tracker
http://www.swcommander.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20403

Boog
Major General

Post#4 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 am

Vader is great for trapping and killing dekas and sc troops, especially bikes and buffed jumps. I start by blowing shields with kubaz, then you want to drop Vader in a corner, or near junk building so his 501st first kill the junk buildings then target the dekas and troops. Drop him closer to the oppressor than the sentinal, since it is slower. Drop a shock nearby, activate him, Drop jumps and kill the dekas etc. When he starts moving, give him an astromedic. I'll then spread out more shocks, storms, and whatever else I have. If you drop him far enough away from the base, he'll be reloaded by the time he takes turret fire. I would say he survives to the end 50-70% of the time I use him, and an astromedic helps. I would just use one, if there are rapid fire turrets around, the meds die too fast.

RCM
Commodore

Post#5 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:06 am

He is useful for tripping dekas and sonics. He drops heavies at Lord Vader L4.
Empire squad: WAR247 227/4/8 W/L/D

Plagueis
Admiral

Post#6 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:38 pm

Marus, the best way to use vader is to see him as a tool that allows your other troops to survive. What that means is instead of expecting vader to do the heavy work against turrets, only expect him to distract while your other troops do the dirty work for him.

In a typical attack, I deploy my jumps/heavies in a wide row and once they start taking fire from more than one turret, I deploy vader behind the attack force. Vader will run past, take out at least a few turrets before being targeted himself. You want to twirl when your heavies/jumps have already destroyed everything behind vader and have a chance to move forward to destroy the turrets that are firing at vader before his twirl ends. It's like leap frog. No matter what though, always twirl when vader is at 50% health or less and is taking damage. Also, T-5s make this strategy even better but they aren't a necessity.

Sigma582
Admiral

Post#7 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Plagueis wrote:deploy vader behind the attack force. Vader will run past, take out at least a few turrets before being targeted himself.

don't forget shock trooper(s). you don't want vader to trip a trap cluster which will wipe out half your jumps.
New home of former Windows IMPERIALS® squad. PM me to join us on Android server.
-
Layout Manager
-
Defense Tracker

Kurtz
Storm Trooper

Post#8 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:28 am

I have a semi-related question.I have Vader on lvl6,right now.I was wondering how long does his "swing" last?I was counting it was 12 seconds.I don't know is it related to current level(like L7 is 14 sec,L8 16 sec etc).

Sigma582
Admiral

Post#9 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:07 am

Kurtz wrote:I have a semi-related question.I have Vader on lvl6,right now.I was wondering how long does his "swing" last?I was counting it was 12 seconds.I don't know is it related to current level(like L7 is 14 sec,L8 16 sec etc).

10 seconds spin, then 15 seconds cooldown. this doesn't change on different levels.
-
Layout Manager
-
Defense Tracker

Plagueis
Admiral

Post#10 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:56 am

Sigma582 wrote:
Plagueis wrote:deploy vader behind the attack force. Vader will run past, take out at least a few turrets before being targeted himself.

don't forget shock trooper(s). you don't want vader to trip a trap cluster which will wipe out half your jumps.

It's so rare to find clustered traps that I don't even worry about it TBH. Even when I do come across it, my jumps are so spread out that I might lose one or two out of 17 at the most, so it's really no big deal. Also, I never use shocks. Waiting to deploy jumps because a shock troop needs to destroy traps first means facing more GR troops overall. It's because the jumps could have rampaged through the base and destroyed at least a few barracks and factories before the second wave had a chance to spawn. Waiting is not worth it, including luring SC and dekas and is the main reason many rebels faceplant against my base, even with jump builds.

Return to “General Tips”