Buffed Rapids vs Sonics

Tips and Strategies for Defending Rivals.
Centaur
Captain

Buffed Rapids vs Sonics

Post#1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:36 am

Looking for feedback here. I've got my base set up with all Sonic turrets and they work fairly well. One noticed a lot of Imp bases set up with all buffed Rapid fire turrets. Comments and opinions, please.
The Force! Do you speak it!!!

Plagueis
Grand Admiral

Re: Buffed Rapids vs Sonics

Post#2 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:42 am

At HQ 10 and with decent level guard reserve, sonics (lvl 10 of course). It’s a flood defense that allows you to run maximum guard reserve and “flood” the battlefield with troops to slow the attack so the Sonics can get off more shots.

DeathStriker

Post#3 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:45 am

Centaur wrote:Looking for feedback here. I've got my base set up with all Sonic turrets and they work fairly well. One noticed a lot of Imp bases set up with all buffed Rapid fire turrets. Comments and opinions, please.

Centaur - All Sonic Bases are too easy to defeat due to the "Attack Strategy" of "Tripping Sonics" by means of Soldiers / Stormtroopers and then during their "delay" brute force attack with a small group of Units. **Repeat as needed**.

Rapid Fire Turrets and Bursts are the main defense against the Jetpack / Jump attack meta.

RECOMMEND: You use a "Mix" of Turrets and not all of one kind.

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

Plagueis
Grand Admiral

Post#4 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:28 am

DeathStriker wrote:
Centaur wrote:Looking for feedback here. I've got my base set up with all Sonic turrets and they work fairly well. One noticed a lot of Imp bases set up with all buffed Rapid fire turrets. Comments and opinions, please.

Centaur - All Sonic Bases are too easy to defeat due to the "Attack Strategy" of "Tripping Sonics" by means of Soldiers / Stormtroopers and then during their "delay" brute force attack with a small group of Units. **Repeat as needed.

Not with mine. My sonics are behind enough buildings and walls to put them out of range of regs. The only thing that can trip them effectively is ithorians but that typically means the opponent has to waste time waiting while my GR builds up and/or kessen and jets inadvertently get hit by errant sonic blasts. Personally I don’t run rapids and bursts because they only target one jet at a time which means an opponent can drop a single med ship and the bulk of the attack will mow right through any mass of buffed rapid or burst combo. I know because I look for bases like these to attack. The DPS just isn’t there to stop fliers in their tracks like a few lvl 10 sonics. And sure, you can run a mix of turrets with armory skins, but keep in mind it will reduce the amount of guard reserve you can run.
Last edited by Plagueis on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeathStriker

Post#5 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:33 am

Plagueis wrote:
DeathStriker wrote:All Sonic Bases are too easy to defeat due to the "Attack Strategy" of "Tripping Sonics" by means of Soldiers / Stormtroopers and then during their "delay" brute force attack with a small group of Units. **Repeat as needed.

Not with mine. My sonics are behind enough buildings and walls to put them out of range of regs. The only thing that can trip them effectively is ithorians but that typically means the opponent has to waste time waiting while my GR builds up and/or kessen and jets inadvertently get hit by errant sonic blasts.

Plagueis - Yep - I was speaking "in general" in reference to Sonic Turrets.

Most Upper Level Players already know how to effectively use Sonics + GR to mount a strong defense.

Death_Striker is looking for ALL Rebel Commanders
Sons_of_Death is looking for Level 8+ Rebel Commanders
If YOU Want to War - Apply Now!

Plagueis
Grand Admiral

Post#6 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:40 am

At HQ 9 and below most players can probably get away with using a mix of “direct fire” turrets as they usually aren’t pit against medships. There’s a tipping point in turret choices when you progress and upgrade your HQ though. I’ve been down the rapid, rapid/burst, rapid/rocket roads and I could never pull any more than a 40% defense rate against lvl 10 opponents using buffed jets and med ships regardless of layout or SC composition. Personally, I get better results with sonics and lots of guard reserve, but it did take a lot of trial and error to get those results. Nothing in SWC is a silver bullet besides using a bunch of jumps/jets.

YourFather
Major General

Post#7 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:17 pm

Plagueis wrote:At HQ 9 and below most players can probably get away with using a mix of “direct fire” turrets as they usually aren’t pit against medships. There’s a tipping point in turret choices when you progress and upgrade your HQ though. I’ve been down the rapid, rapid/burst, rapid/rocket roads and I could never pull any more than a 40% defense rate against lvl 10 opponents using buffed jets and med ships regardless of layout or SC composition. Personally, I get better results with sonics and lots of guard reserve, but it did take a lot of trial and error to get those results. Nothing in SWC is a silver bullet besides using a bunch of jumps/jets.

Does your all-sonic/GR layout work for HD?

sgu97cab
Major General

Post#8 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Ive been getting some good wins using a combo of buffed rapids and sonics. Downside of winning defenses however is you get about 3 successive attacks before losing and getting protection so effectively lose about 3 times as much loot as that if you'd have just lost the first defense.
Main Account: Bacon (level 9). LINE ID: sgu97cab
Squad - NewSithEmpire
Second account: nEggs (level 8)
Squad - AUS-Darth_Gump

Plagueis
Grand Admiral

Post#9 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:45 pm

YourFather wrote:
Plagueis wrote:At HQ 9 and below most players can probably get away with using a mix of “direct fire” turrets as they usually aren’t pit against medships. There’s a tipping point in turret choices when you progress and upgrade your HQ though. I’ve been down the rapid, rapid/burst, rapid/rocket roads and I could never pull any more than a 40% defense rate against lvl 10 opponents using buffed jets and med ships regardless of layout or SC composition. Personally, I get better results with sonics and lots of guard reserve, but it did take a lot of trial and error to get those results. Nothing in SWC is a silver bullet besides using a bunch of jumps/jets.

Does your all-sonic/GR layout work for HD?

Consistently 20-25% without using heroes, dekas, SC or air.

Centaur
Captain

Post#10 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Thanks for all the replies here folks. Plagueis, DeathStriker, you both hit on things I was thinking but wanted to know more about. I do like being able to field more GR by not spending armory space on turret buffs. May need to work on Sonic turret placement. Once again, thank you for your input, everyone.
The Force! Do you speak it!!!

Return to “Defending Rivals”