Need an IMP base layout designed to protect resources

Tips and Strategies for Defending Rivals.
chiller087
Storm Trooper

Need an IMP base layout designed to protect resources

Post#1 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:59 am

So I'm not overly concerned about medals. I just broke into the 10k club the other day, and I realized it doesn't matter a whole lot to me right now. My turrets, shields, wall pieces and generators are all lvl 8, HQ lvl 10.

Right now I've got the SC in the middle, directly surrounded by all 4 generators, and bunched evenly around it there are 14 sonics and 6 rockets, then my resource vaults, all surrounded by a wall, with traps inside. Excess buildings on the outside.

HQ is off in a corner.

I thought bunching the sonics up would mean they can easily support each other, but it also seems to make it so they are all easily baited. Heavy-med is still a problem. Is it just because the turrets are only lvl 8?

Python6
Commodore

Re: Need an IMP base layout designed to protect resources

Post#2 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:51 am

Problem with level 8 sonics is that their damage is the same as level 7 sonics. They have more health, but no extra punch with that level change. You have to finance the big level 9 upgrade to get more damage from them. Most people have figured out how to beat sonic farms if they bring the right loadout to the fight. Sonics are great, but a base full of them doesn't scare away as many attackers as it used to. Too many youtube posts out there showing exactly how to defeat them.
Officer ImperialNWA Andriod / IOS Imperial Squad. If you are a new / developing player check out our developmental squads ImperialNWA_II and ImperialNWA_III.
LINE ID is python6swc

Nedster
Cadet Trooper

Post#3 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:50 pm

I have a similar layout that works pretty well for me. I keep the HQ in the corner to make sure I get protection. Like you I have the SC, resources, turrets and shields in the centre. Unlike you I have all the other buildings around the edge of the grid and fill the gaps with walls so nobody can land on the grid at all.

This means strikers and destroyers will head straight in but generalists and looters will wander off around the side. This makes it hard to co-ordinate and bait the sonics, plus it wastes time making them clear an area before the attack.

Because almost everybody attacks the HQ first I put all my traps on the route from the HQ to the centre.

Poene
Commodore

Post#4 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:27 am

Nedster, that is actually a very smart base layout, I believe. I remember seeing a base with a layout almost the same as yours and I was wondering if it did well on defense. Personally I would hate to attack such a base because everything is so spread out. Looks very hard to 100% clear it.

Now my answer is sorta answered. You seem to be happy about it. I'll try this layout once I reach lvl 9 (which will happen in 3 hours).

How often do you win on defense?

syncpan77
Major General

Post#5 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:36 am

There is a very prominent Rebel layout that uses a center with all 4 shields with resources and SC in the middle of the map, turrets protecting that core but not all, some burst and rocket turrets guarding outlying buildings.. the trick to this is having one shield generator upgrading, it will bring in any striker units to their deaths. He leaves the HQ exposed outside but the route towards the core is the most difficult to engage the base from being as the SC will trip almost instantly. Look up jon from Marauder's Echo for an example of this base.
EMPandemonium "We're a small squad with a big fight in us."
Leaderboard Rank: #??? - Battle Score: 584,000 - Squad War Record: 71W - 4D - 22L .

Darkdonations
ORDER-99

Poene
Commodore

Post#6 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:55 am

Ah, you are probably talking about this base:

His CB safehouse is extremely well defended (it contained 270,000 CB, I checked it).

Looks indeed like a powerful setup. Of course the area around his HQ will be littered with traps.
What I don't understand: why would striker units go for the shield gen that is upgrading? Is this a high priority target for them?
If you need an upgrading shield gen, do you need to cancel this upgrade before it finishes and then start the upgrade again (as a sort of infinite cycle)?

syncpan77
Major General

Post#7 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:03 pm

It's awful AI that forces strikers (shield busters) to go for the upgrading shield first, hence getting into serious trouble early on, triggering the SC and several traps. The Elite ATAT might have a range of 10 from the shield edge of active shields, but if there's no bubble it targets the shield generator itself, getting closer than normal. This guy has a pretty good defense record, I've seen it. He loses most battles but they're lowly sub-50% losses that only take out his HQ but very few resources. The only way he gets his contraband taken is if someone cheap shot snipes it with Interceptors from the air.. Also, you might not see it but there's a burst turret hiding right behind the HQ, covered by the antennae... sneaky.

As for the everlasting upgrading shield generator, yup. you need to cancel before it finishes, over and over.. a good way to drain credits as well.
Leaderboard Rank: #??? - Battle Score: 584,000 - Squad War Record: 71W - 4D - 22L .

Darkdonations
ORDER-99

Poene
Commodore

Post#8 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:33 pm

A burst turret behind that antenna??! I didn't see that! That's the most sneaky thing I have seen in this entire game! What a scoundrel!

And the upgrading shield gen glitch is also very clever. I like this player. I would certainly have fallen for his trap and my eAT-AT would have gone down. Without it I cannot pop shields... and that spells doom.

Euph
Major General

Post#9 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:50 pm

syncpan77 wrote:It's awful AI that forces strikers (shield busters) to go for the upgrading shield first, hence getting into serious trouble early on, triggering the SC and several traps. The Elite ATAT might have a range of 10 from the shield edge of active shields, but if there's no bubble it targets the shield generator itself, getting closer than normal. This guy has a pretty good defense record, I've seen it. He loses most battles but they're lowly sub-50% losses that only take out his HQ but very few resources. The only way he gets his contraband taken is if someone cheap shot snipes it with Interceptors from the air.. Also, you might not see it but there's a burst turret hiding right behind the HQ, covered by the antennae... sneaky.

As for the everlasting upgrading shield generator, yup. you need to cancel before it finishes, over and over.. a good way to drain credits as well.

Sorry, just wanted to nitpick - It's not that they go for the upgrading shield first, it's that while they shoot at the shield edge, they still actually target the closest generator. That's why you'll get an eAT suiciding trying to get to an upgrading shield generator underneath a shield bubble rather than simply shooting the edge at range - because that upgrading generator is closer than the active generator. Take that into account when you pick your angles and it's manageable, though still vexsome.

Those bases in that example are tricksy. Norbsy showed us how to hundy em while he was paying us a visit, but it's pretty expensive air-wise. Personally I'd probably just clear out the hero/starport commands with stormies and do a cheap Kessen snipe for the CB, then bum-rush the HQ with whatever I've got left. Quit with the goodies and a star. :P
Sith-Society
Mature HQ10. Immature meat-bag.
Could not find an opponent.

syncpan77
Major General

Post#10 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:12 pm

Yeah I've hit these before but from the south, eATAT could pop all 4 shields without tripping SC, then bomb that whole row of turrets as they uncover, but the tricky part is avoiding traps down there. However, I've attack one guy that has this same layout with an upgrading shield in the middle and I swear, any angle I've tried to come at it with the eATAT, it goes in to kiss the shields, always. It's like, as soon as you drop him in, bam, little red target on the upgrading generator right away.. xD

Darkdonations
ORDER-99

Return to “Defending Rivals”